Rumor: 4G LTE is 'good to go' for Apple's third-gen iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But we as humans still have to process that content at our speed, meaning if it takes a book 5 mins to download instead of 15 minutes, its still going to take me the same time to read said book regardless of how fast I was able to download it.

Yes, but if it's faster, people are more likely to use it to download larger sets of data. I know that there are times with my 4G that I quit after starting something because it was taking too long. If it were faster, I'd use it more.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:

How exactly does LTE make one exceed their data cap?

Because we use more data now than when we used to use dial-up. That is how it was explained to me.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Quote:

But we as humans still have to process that content at our speed, meaning if it takes a book 5 mins to download instead of 15 minutes, its still going to take me the same time to read said book regardless of how fast I was able to download it.

But then you started the book 10min earlier so you finished 10min earlier, which means you download your next book sooner than if it was a slower download. You can access more information because it takes less time to load.

I don't think there will be 4G. Why bring it out for the iPad before the iPhone? And the infrastructure is still not available in many areas, so it would be useless for many people.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I don't think there will be 4G. Why bring it out for the iPad before the iPhone? And the infrastructure is still not available in many areas, so it would be useless for many people.

The reasons have been been covered over and over. BTW you're wrong.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Because we use more data now than when we used to use dial-up. That is how it was explained to me.

There was a lot less content when we had dial up. Who's explaining this stuff to you?
  • Reply 46 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I didn't know Taco Bell was a valid source of Apple rumors.

Yo Quiero iPad.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Yo Quiero iPad.

I can already see the competitor tie-ins. With such classics as…

"I'm thinkin' Android™. IT'S BAAD MAAD FAAD™!"

and…

"Windows Phone 7 the beef?™"

and…

"PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BUY BLACKBERRIES FROM US!™"
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

LMAO!! I almost spit out my Mountain Dew all over my iMac reading that!!

OLOOLOL!!!111

I spit my corn flakes all over my keyboard!

Between the 2 of you, I have to say that Zither is healthier and takes better care of himself than Mike!
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Makes sense. I mean, the reason the 4S didn't have 4G is the 4G chips at the time added bulk (werent they separate chips?) and devoured battery. Have the chips gotten better? Regardless, those issues are less important on a tablet with a bigger form factor and better battery life.

iPad 2 Keyboard iPad 2 Smart Cover
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Makes sense. I mean, the reason the 4S didn't have 4G is the 4G chips at the time added bulk (werent they separate chips?) and devoured battery. Have the chips gotten better? Regardless, those issues are less important on a tablet with a bigger form factor and better battery life.

iPad 2 Keyboard iPad 2 Smart Cover
  • Reply 51 of 53
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

I guess that could be it. However, to me it seems weird that a LTE iPad would be available in March but Apple would make it customers wait 6 months for a LTE phone?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if the iPad 3 has LTE (4G, whatever) and is available almost immediately, that a LTE iPhone won't be more than 3 months behind.

-kpluck

Well yeah. I did a stint at apple once right before iPhone release. Did one to one.

Prosone to one)

Also included Apple one 2 one and apple pro both for$99.

Classes (most had theaters, now even Pasadena is gone).

But they were final cut, motion,shake, color, some adobe AE if teacher new it but unofficially.

Logic, art, web dev even touching on dream and that other MAC ONLY one. Can't recall name.

Photography.

Optimizing macs for audio/video

Cons (now/present)

Average student is really computer illiterate vs pre iPhone you didn't have to explain mail, FTP, green screen, TDM, au.

Most classes are iLife, iLife, iLife.

Mail, web pages, differences vs a pc. At the time above in Pros: AMD and APPLE HADfastest chips. Intel needed 1 gig more of MHz, just to up.

A lot and I mean a LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT is mail, soon iCloud, finaly, free .mac

but I miss the creative smart Mac pro crowds and while there is talk of a new Mac Pro, there are quite a few thunderbolt devices. One that holds pci cards (3). You could have a really have a pro tools laptop native and express reader ($49) as for some resin since PT 9, it's very picky about sharing FireWire busses and read problems when people connected 400 & 800 external drives, so this would give you a new bus.

Why bother though when you can get flying sequential and random speeds with thunderbolt hard drives.

Ad a UAD FIREWIRE satellite effects and get great plug ins without taxing the CPU. Waves will next then adobe as AE still the standard.

From a fiscal standpoint (not sure why intel/apple went away from the order of two's, 2 core, 4 cores, 8 core, then, umm 6/12???, should have been 16 as the 09' 2.93 8 core holds its own vs a 12), anyway fiscally it will have to have thunderbolt (..duh, no brained), maybe black rack mountable. I admit I haven't looked into CPU chips but if they can get 16/32 with 32/64 virtual we are talking end of farms and Pro Tools might have to step it up again. As the pci cards will be the bottle neck. Speaking of which, logic needs an overhaul and hope we don't have to wait 2 more years as 4 years ago that's when a friend told me about the new FCP then we had 2 releases and it didn't look or sound like what he was describing. He said "it looks like iMovie on steroids"), then FCPX. Do I want smart instruments, yes and get deeper with orchestral but I don't want GB on steroids and it's been a while which makes me wonder, no emagic resemblance anywhere and Disney vibe. Then again. If its a killer I'll take it.

Anyway, friend said no later than BEGINING of summer so a new MP's are for sure coming.

The speculation is wild though. Seems like a long time thus the trouble, use friends 15% Apple discount for an iMac 3.4 27" i7 for $1869 or i5? Read some had problems with i7 and one week I remember any quad core had 8 total cores. Wonder what they turned off or was it a hardware thing???

With all the thunderbolt devices a i7 should last a while. It would suck to spend it then see a 32 virtual core whereas an i5 can do the job but no virtual cores, not as fast but less of a hit moneyeise.

Advice appreciated. Late. Sorry for grammar/spelling (on iPhone soon to be iPad 3 LORD WILLING!!!

Peace all. Great week for all & Godspeed too!!!!!!!!-!!!-!-!-!
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Maybe the originator needs to read up on 4G facts.

It says the ATT and Verizon are currently the only 4G LTE providers in the USA, Yet MetroPCS was the first 4G LTE provider in the US and offered 4G LTE services for several months before ATT and Verizon. In my area MetroPCS offered 4G LTE for about 6 months before Verizon or ATT even started marketing 4G LTE, only recently have they started rolling it out.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm thinking 80% chance.

28nm means lower power consumption

MDM96xx means wide support in the chip

But last, the new chip is probably the same price or slightly cheaper than the former parts.

At this point it's hard to make a viable argument for not putting LTE in.

Anand says it's MDM9600. So the 2nd gen LTE with the 40nm lithography. After seeing that LTE was only one hour less than WiFi I was surprised it's not the 28nm MDM9615.