Apple sold 3M iPads over launch weekend [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I think I'll wait another year for the next iPad with the A6 processor and Siri(hopefully)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Siri ship as a software upgrade with iOS 6 comes out later this year. I have found the dictation works quite well on my new iPad and am using it far more than I do on my iPhone.

If dictation is already available then there is no reason that Siri wouldn't work (I'm assuming) so maybe they are just getting the kinks worked out.
  • Reply 42 of 170
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

I keep thinking it's a good time to sell mine, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I mean, there's gotta be a correction at some point, right? Right? It's been on an incredible run this year.

Are you crazy?! Don't sell AAPL yet. Look at how amazing the growth has been even before Apple truly incorporates the living room into iOS. When a real Apple TV set is released along with an Apple TV app store, the stock will go insane. I still believe the stock has nowhere to go but up.
  • Reply 43 of 170
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to see Siri ship as a software upgrade with iOS 6 comes out later this year. I have found the dictation works quite well on my new iPad and am using it far more than I do on my iPhone.

If dictation is already available then there is no reason that Siri wouldn't work (I'm assuming) so maybe they are just getting the kinks worked out.

I think they need to get that new data center in Oregon online. My suspicion is that the Siri servers are getting swamped and Apple needs to add capacity before they allow for a tsunami of new devices to start using the service.

In fact, between Siri and iCloud and selling metric ass-tons of kit, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple didn't have some more data centers in the works. They're going to need them.
  • Reply 44 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to see Siri ship as a software upgrade with iOS 6 comes out later this year. I have found the dictation works quite well on my new iPad and am using it far more than I do on my iPhone. ...

I can't make the Siri dictation option even show up on my new iPad. The button isn't there.

I'm assuming this is some kind of "works in USA only" kind of thing?
  • Reply 45 of 170
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think they need to get that new data center in Oregon online. My suspicion is that the Siri servers are getting swamped and Apple needs to add capacity before they allow for a tsunami of new devices to start using the service.

In fact, between Siri and iCloud and selling metric ass-tons of kit, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple didn't have some more data centers in the works. They're going to need them.

Two DCs in the US for hosting services and storefronts with many regional content delivery nodes outsourced and bolted to a few Tier1 ISP backbones outta do the trick.
  • Reply 46 of 170

I am very happy with the new iPad numbers as a user and a shareholder.

As far as the dividend/buyback announcement -- I was hoping for at least a 10:1 split, too.

I wanted the split to set up some investment accounts for the grandkids -- $60 per share provides a lot more room to maneuver/experiment/fail/learn than $600 per share.

The grandkids all have savings accounts -- but that's not investing... It's just setting money aside for a later purchase...

My 16-year-old granddaughter is saving for a car and taking online driving lessons...

Speaking of young girls taking driving lessons, I found this YT clip from a show that was on HUB late last night:

Family Ties - Jennifer Learns to Drive

Enjoy -- they just don't make TV shows like this anymore

• Reply 47 of 170
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

I keep thinking it's a good time to sell mine, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I mean, there's gotta be a correction at some point, right? Right? It's been on an incredible run this year.

What makes this one really difficult is that Apple really doesn't have any real competition. Microsoft and the Android copy-machines have pretty much kept a wait-and-see approach with little-or-no real R&D effort going in to challenge Apple. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

As Tim Cook said, only 9% of smartphones are iPhones. That represents a huge opportunity for growth. The same can be said for their OSX-computers as well.

As it stands, Apple has so much potential for growth, and the competition is continuing to stay in the corners.

I'm still in for a while more. Bought a bunch of AAPL when it tanked back in 2008 and held steadfastly to them.
  • Reply 48 of 170
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    Quote:

I took my iPad2 and displayed some retina quality pics on it and compared it with my co-worker's brand spanking new iPad3 today.

Guess what I couldn't really see enough difference in the display to justify upgrading any time soon. The only feature missing is the microphone to dictate voice into text. We tried it out and it produced a lot of mistakes.

I took my ipad 2 to an apple store and put it next to a New Ipad ? the difference was astounding. Not for pictures, which may appear similar (although many didn't). The greatest difference was in text. After 10 minutes I couldn't imagine using my ipad 2. Left the store without new ipad, disappointed. Fortunately, after a day with the ipad 2 alone, the comparison has left me and I'm reasonably happy.
  • Reply 49 of 170
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

The ipad hype machine certain was in overdrive wasn't it and fooled a lot of folks into buying one. Not that I mind however my apple stock is doing really well.

I took my iPad2 and displayed some retina quality pics on it and compared it with my co-worker's brand spanking new iPad3 today.

Guess what I couldn't really see enough difference in the display to justify upgrading any time soon. The only feature missing is the microphone to dictate voice into text. We tried it out and it produced a lot of mistakes.

My take - if you own a iPad2 don't hold your breath, and now an iPad2 is $100 cheaper to compete with the "goggle" tablet when it comes out! (deliberate typo)

I think I'll wait another year for the next iPad with the A6 processor and Siri(hopefully)

Do what works for you and quit putting others down for doing what works for them. No one cares that you choose to use old products. People were saying the same thing about iPad 2 that you are now saying.
  • Reply 50 of 170
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This was way more that what I expected. I thought they would sell around 1.7m. Really impressive numbers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I can't make the Siri dictation option even show up on my new iPad. The button isn't there.

Go to setting, general, keyboard, then turn on dictation. It should have asked you about it when you first activated your iPad.
  • Reply 51 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Notice how Apple boldly says "sold"?

Not some weasel-y word like "shipped"?

Lovin' it!

Yes... those were really smooth sales too!
  • Reply 52 of 170
    We only bought two. Nobody else I know bought one this weekend.

The rest must be sitting in warehouses with all the unbought Android tablets...

...heh.
  • Reply 53 of 170
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    LOL at some clowns on macrumors all disappointed because they think the number should have been closer to 5M (as Apple launched in 10 countries). Seriously? I'm surprised it sold this well considering there were plenty of reviews (misguided IMO) saying not to buy b/c it was a modest upgrade. I guess if the hardware form looks the same as a previous generation that equals a modest upgrade.
  • Reply 54 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

USA, England, Australia, France, Germany, I think. It should have been an option during the setup process. It will ask you if you want to use dictation and it tells you that your voice data is sent to Apple. Not sure how you would turn it on if you selected "don't use dictation" during setup.
  • Reply 55 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You are probably right about that. Question is, how much bandwidth is taken up just using Dictation versus Siri?

Time will tell. For now I haven't been using Siri that much, not because it doesn't work but because I don't always adapt to new features immediately. People I know who are using Siri the most seem to be new iPhone users. I've been using an iPhone since day one and already have a method for doing things, so while Siri might be easier, it's hard to retrain myself to use Siri.
  • Reply 56 of 170
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:

I bought the bulk of mine at 60 and have no plans to sell now. Stuck with it from 200 to 88, belief in the big picture. Many predict this quarter will be bigger than last. That shows ongoing momentum that will be rewarded. Shows last was not a fluke. That's important.

I have options too and I'll juggle those around and take some off the table before earnings in April but I'll carry some through, and all my shares.

Everyone has to do their own thing, but I'd say there's plenty of room for Apple to run. This last stretch has just been Apple catching up to the massive results of the previous quarter. It's still priced for buying.
  • Reply 57 of 170
    Quote:

I am actually considering buying some more -- gonna watch a few days and let the effects of today's news kick in.

AIR, Apple had sold 45 million iPads through December... somewhere in these announcements a figure of 55 million iPads sold to date (before the new iPad) -- that means that Apple could easily hit 15 million iPads this quarter... and who knows for the rest of the calendar year...

With that in mind, and the continued success of the Mac and iPhone -- along with the [presumed] greater appeal of AAPL to investors... $700 looks pretty doable in a month or two -- that's >= 10% appreciation over today's close.

...Just thinking out loud...

• Reply 58 of 170
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Gee I should become an analyst as my most recent numbers where 2-3 million. It looks like their move to pre-orderrs really helped get the product out there to customers fast and without the long lines at the stores. Of course this leaves many UPS and FedEx drivers a bit tired.

By the way got mine at 6:45 Friday and can say I'm very impressed, it is a very solid upgrade to my iPad1. Worth every penny!
  • Reply 59 of 170
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

I sold half of mine at 536 , I feel pretty stupid , but its easier in hindsight to say I was wrong. I made a very good profit and one thing the market has taught me is NOT to be too greedy. Over time having a disciplined approach will give me a better return. Timing a stock is very hard to do , anyone who says they can is lying.

I have left a lot of money on the table but overall I would say I am a better investor because for all the ones I sold prematureley I have saved my ass on others that tanked after I sold - so overall I'm up.

For me the point is to remain in the game and not take too many gambles. My goal is to make between 10-15% on my overall portfolio every year (which translates to a doubling of portfolio every 5-6 years - rule of 72) , compare that to the average fund manager! some years I have made that by June and have sold everything and then live worry free the rest of year. This year looks like I might do that again
  • Reply 60 of 170
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

USA, England, Australia, France, Germany, I think. It should have been an option during the setup process. It will ask you if you want to use dictation and it tells you that your voice data is sent to Apple. Not sure how you would turn it on if you selected "don't use dictation" during setup.

Hey, you guys always miss us, and Switzerland. No, no sure forget us were just like the most stable economy on the planet right now.