Consumer Reports says Apple's new iPad heats to 116 degrees running games

Comments

• Reply 121 of 175
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why did adding VZW necessitate a change in design?

Do you not know anything about radio design?

Quote:

Is the VZW iPhone 4S different from ATTs on the outside? No.

Yes. It is. Visibly, as well as internally.

Quote:

That was all an excuse to change/fix the design.

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid. And yes, I just turned the ill-fitting metaphor outward on someone anti-Apple. I may be the first person in Apple history to do that. Boo-yah.

Quote:

They didn't do it for the ATT version because it would've been an admission of a flaw.

Which explains why the AT&T model hasn't sold a single unit since then because we've been hearing nothing about the iPhone except how terrible the antenna continues to be in every single country and obviously the OH WAIT THAT'S WRONG.

There's no conspiracy. There's no lack of 'admission of flaw'. Antennagate wasn't a problem with an Apple product. Get over it.
  • Reply 122 of 175
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

I'm a little confused as the anger directed at CR for this article. All they did was point out that the new iPad gets warmer than the iPad 2 (something which others have reported and which is really not surprising) and they specifically said :

and

Why is everyone getting defensive?

They said it is warmer, but that's not a big deal, and overall it is a great device. This is bad?

It's because these fucking losers get butt-hurt at the mere suggestion that everything Apple does might not be perfect.
  • Reply 123 of 175
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yay! Free bumpers for everyone.

You mean free refrigerators?
  • Reply 124 of 175
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hey conspiracy theorists,

If this was planned by Apple then where is the Apple iMitt so they can charge you another $59 just to hold your iPad.

What would we do without you!

Always the right answer to reviews from Crap Reports.

• Reply 125 of 175
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

It's because these fucking losers get butt-hurt at the mere suggestion that everything Apple does might not be perfect.

Just a quick note to anyone who might be tempted to respond to this: just report it. Red exclamation mark down there at the bottom left of the post below the user name.
  • Reply 126 of 175
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdws View Post

Are you guys trying to argue that Consumer Reports has some kind of grudge against Apple? With this latest test, they seem to be dealing in facts that better inform consumer buying decisions.

Apple is now a behemoth. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. So if you love the company and what it stands for, why would you oppose holding it to account?

No one's opposing legitimate concerns. Their just saying, and rightfully so, that Consumer Reports has its own agenda and it's wise to acknowledge it.

My problem is with your statement "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Has there ever been anyone with absolute power who isn't or didn't become corrupt? That's a blanket statement that unfairly judges someone before they did corruption. There's nothing saying one must become corrupt because they have a lot of power. George Washington had all the power of the US government and he could have acted as a King but he turned over the reigns of power back to the people. I understand that this sentiment has its place, but not in this discussion, so please spare us your anecdotal clichés.
  • Reply 127 of 175
    iooiiooi Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Consumer Reports, the consumer advocacy group that gained notoriety for refusing to recommend Apple's iPhone 4 because of its external antenna, has tested Apple's new iPad and found it can heat up to 116 degrees when running graphic-intensive games

Can you please repost your article using metric units so that the small rest of the world who uses this can understand what you're talking about? I have no idea what "116 degrees" are.
  • Reply 128 of 175
    If Apple can find a way to crank up the heat a little more it'll become a very versatile camping tool.

A stove, a kettle and an internet communicator...
  • Reply 129 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Just a quick note to anyone who might be tempted to respond to this: just report it. Red exclamation mark down there at the bottom left of the post below the user name.

... and then add to your ignore list
  • Reply 130 of 175
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I know you mean well here but as crude as it was stated the guy has a point. In any event I could really appreciate a little less censorship on the Internet. Seems like every time I turn around there is another person using his perverted sense of reality to try to censor another part of the net.

I find it especially perplexing that the suicide of children is now yet another reason to enlist the censors. As sad as it is, any kid that would kill himself due to a posting on the web already has mental issues. Here we have a crudely worded but relevant post that gets to the heart of the matter, people often get far to emotional over transient posts in these forums.

Personally I think anybody pressing that button ought to be held in suspicion until the nature of the post is discussed off line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

• Reply 131 of 175
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Sorry I had to say that. More importantly where did you go to school, temperature scales should be covered worldwide.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iooi View Post

Can you please repost your article using metric units so that the small rest of the world who uses this can understand what you're talking about? I have no idea what "116 degrees" are.

• Reply 132 of 175
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Your holding it wrong.
  • Reply 133 of 175
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do you not know anything about radio design?

Yes. It is. Visibly, as well as internally.

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid. And yes, I just turned the ill-fitting metaphor outward on someone anti-Apple. I may be the first person in Apple history to do that. Boo-yah.

Which explains why the AT&T model hasn't sold a single unit since then because we've been hearing nothing about the iPhone except how terrible the antenna continues to be in every single country and obviously the OH WAIT THAT'S WRONG.

There's no conspiracy. There's no lack of 'admission of flaw'. Antennagate wasn't a problem with an Apple product. Get over it.

Do you not know the origins of "drinking the Kool-Aid"?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

PS don't take my critique as "Apple hating" I'll be getting a new iPad plus Solis iMitt
  • Reply 134 of 175
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Is this the technology equivalent of the uncanny valley in action?

The closer the iPad approaches device perfection, the more disproportionate it's limitations appear.
  • Reply 135 of 175
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Your holding it wrong.

You're spelling it wrong.
  • Reply 136 of 175
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

Remember the MHz craze where PC motherboards where equipped with powerful (and power gobbling) fans?

Your post brought back a fond memory of a visit to one of Apple's Top Secret development areas in the old Valley Green area in the late 1980's. Imagine. Vault-like room, complete with a bulky guard or two at the door, with all kinds of prototypical hardware being tested.

My favorite? The Multiprocessor G3 or G4 tower built inside of a Samsung dorm sized refrigerator, designed to keep the whole system properly cooled.

Wait a minute! Samsung? I may be on to something here.

[puts on tinfoil hat for better reception]
  • Reply 137 of 175
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I know you mean well here but as crude as it was stated the guy has a point. In any event I could really appreciate a little less censorship on the Internet. Seems like every time I turn around there is another person using his perverted sense of reality to try to censor another part of the net.

I find it especially perplexing that the suicide of children is now yet another reason to enlist the censors. As sad as it is, any kid that would kill himself due to a posting on the web already has mental issues. Here we have a crudely worded but relevant post that gets to the heart of the matter, people often get far to emotional over transient posts in these forums.

Personally I think anybody pressing that button ought to be held in suspicion until the nature of the post is discussed off line.

I disagree with the notion that all censorship is bad. Freedom of speech does not mean the right to speak whatever you want wherever you want. Some of us still believe it proper decorum, manners, etc. The owner of a website has every right to enforce their "house rules" as far as what content is and isn't allowed. The point in question could have been expressed in a less "adult" way and in a more, well, adult way.

Censorship is bad when it's the government or some other entity doing the enforcing, and there being no alternative forum, physical or digital, to express censored sentiments.
  • Reply 138 of 175
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"During our tests, I held the new iPad in my hands. When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period," author Donna L. Tapellini wrote.

How about if held for a longer than a brief period?

Was it uncomfortable to hold?
  • Reply 139 of 175
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Is this the technology equivalent of the uncanny valley in action?

The closer the iPad approaches device perfection, the more disproportionate it's limitations appear.

Interesting theory.