Combination of iPad 4G LTE & data caps characterized as a 'speed trap'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 131
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Maybe we can get Activist Sandra Fluke to go and appeal for help before a Congressional meeting stating that at in addition to the three thousand dollars it costs for birth control over the course of obtaining a law degree in three years at Georgetown U., it also will cost almost another three grand on Verizon's 10GB/mo plan during that same time period.

We need help there too!

/

/

/

Yes. And maybe a few free condoms pr birth control pills (supplied by Obama) thrown in with our plans!
  • Reply 102 of 131
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    I've never understood why anyone would buy a 3G or 4G iPad and be restricted to the same usage limits that a smartphone goes through in any given time period. If you're on the Internet so much that WiFi and tethering to your smartphone isn't enough, isn't it highly likely that you will blast through a few GB in just a few days, perhaps even hours?

I know that tethering my laptop to my iPhone can quickly generate 500MB to 1GB in just ONE session. Never mind streaming a whole movie on Netflix, just all those graphics, videos, flash sites/ads, etc. can eat up tons of data. What if you're tethering a Windows-based computer and have automatic updates turned on, along with a constant "stream" of anti-virus definitions, a new version of Firefox and Chrome, etc., etc. Even if you just let it sit there, it will run over the limit all by itself if you forget to turn it off. I don't want to constantly have to check how much data I have left, especially when checking your data limit runs through even more data. lol...
  • Reply 103 of 131
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Hopefully this pops the data plan bubble.

Why would it? This is exactly the situation the networks wanted to create.
  • Reply 104 of 131
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

I've never understood why anyone would buy a 3G or 4G iPad and be restricted to the same usage limits that a smartphone goes through in any given time period. If you're on the Internet so much that WiFi and tethering to your smartphone isn't enough, isn't it highly likely that you will blast through a few GB in just a few days, perhaps even hours?

I know that tethering my laptop to my iPhone can quickly generate 500MB to 1GB in just ONE session. Never mind streaming a whole movie on Netflix, just all those graphics, videos, flash sites/ads, etc. can eat up tons of data. What if you're tethering a Windows-based computer and have automatic updates turned on, along with a constant "stream" of anti-virus definitions, a new version of Firefox and Chrome, etc., etc. Even if you just let it sit there, it will run over the limit all by itself if you forget to turn it off. I don't want to constantly have to check how much data I have left, especially when checking your data limit runs through even more data. lol...

There are lots of different ways to use the data. For example, what worked for me is that I downloaded videos or large data files only when I was on WiFi, but when I was out of range of 3G, I would just do email and very limited web browsing. So I was able to always be in touch via 3G, but did my heavy downloading via WiFi so my data limit was plenty.
  • Reply 105 of 131
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There are lots of different ways to use the data. For example, what worked for me is that I downloaded videos or large data files only when I was on WiFi, but when I was out of range of 3G, I would just do email and very limited web browsing. So I was able to always be in touch via 3G, but did my heavy downloading via WiFi so my data limit was plenty.

Wow, I am deeply impressed by your data saving skills. Seriously my phone bills would be astronomical in size as I download at least 5GB every 3 - 4 days. If I had LTE that number would increase x2. In Switzerland my contract with Swisscom is about 140 dollars a month for unlimited everything, data, voice, SMS, MMS and TV and I get about 42 Mbit's with HSPA+. I can only imagine what LTE brings, if anyone can tell me that would be nice, wait maybe it will make me too sad, let me guess 80 Mbit's plus.
  • Reply 106 of 131
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkflame808 View Post

It's not the speed that rips you off it's the prebuffering that kills you. On 3G you play a video for 20 seconds before you decide it's not for you you watched 2MB of video but prebuffered 5MB. On 4G you prebuffered the entire clip in 10 seconds and now you have a 22MB hole in your pocket before you even had a chance to realize the video sucked.

In response to all the people who say consumers just need to be careful about overages, thank you for providing a clear, common scenario that quickly wastes data on LTE. Note that HD video will waste data even faster.

The upstream component is ostensibly the reason Facetime is disallowed over LTE, but still. really. really?
  • Reply 107 of 131
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I've actually disabled cellular data on my new iPad for the time being in protest. I'm willing to spend $25 per month for about 3-4GB. I'll likely never use the limit though, but I at least understand what it is there for...

So you are paying $25/month for cellular data but you are not using it?

If you do not have a data plan, there is no need to disable cellular data...
  • Reply 108 of 131
    Even when I use my data plan for casual surfing and E-mail I use more then 5GB a month. I cannot comprehend how a company like AT&T and Verizon can charge 50$ a month for such little data. I would go insane or broke because of my phone bill. I truly feel sorry for you guys, the Telecom situation in the US is a complete nightmare. I am so thankful that I have access to an unlimited data plan.
  • Reply 109 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Wow, I am deeply impressed by your data saving skills. Seriously my phone bills would be astronomical in size as I download at least 5GB every 3 - 4 days. If I had LTE that number would increase x2. In Switzerland my contract with Swisscom is about 140 dollars a month for unlimited everything, data, voice, SMS, MMS and TV and I get about 42 Mbit's with HSPA+. I can only imagine what LTE brings, if anyone can tell me that would be nice, wait maybe it will make me too sad, let me guess 80 Mbit's plus.

Not my problem. If you're not bright enough to figure out what your cell phone plan allows and what it's going to cost you, you have no one to blame but yourself.
  • Reply 110 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by difensore View Post

funny how people did not see this coming ....

Not all of us. I have been paying for unlimited for two years on my AT&T iPhones and my iPads.

Figured this would happen. Wonder how unlimited unlimited really is?

Bob
  • Reply 111 of 131
    Quote:

Not my problem. If you're not bright enough to figure out what your cell phone plan allows and what it's going to cost you, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Uuuh, did you read my entire post or just glanced at it and assumed you knew what I was talking about. I was being simpathetic to another poster who has to make due with a very small data plan. I have an unlimited data plan. I don't have to worry about watching anything except maybe a letter asking me if I could keep my downloading under a terabyte, A letter which I have received by the way, it was last November. We were remodeling our house and we had to live in a hotel for a while. What would the bill at Verizon be for instance if I downloaded say 500GB when I only had a 10GB data plan, which I assume is the largest plan you guys have in the states. 1,000 dollars, 2,000, how much, I'm sure it's an astronomical amount of money.
  • Reply 112 of 131
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Wireless spectrum and bandwidth resources are finite. It's only going to get worse. This has been a known problem for several years that's starting to rear it's head now. Unlimited plans are not coming back, as much as I wish they would.

Unlimited plans have nothing to do with the carrier bottleneck. It's the amount of data being pushed through at that moment. The data caps are purely so the companies can charge more for data.
  • Reply 113 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I'll say it again it must really suck living in the US sometimes. Data caps are awefull I mean what is the point of having this incredible network if your just going to get cut off after 4 days of use. I do about 5 GBs every 4 - 5 days. We don't have have LTE here in Switzerland but 18MBS download speeds with unlimited data for 50 euros a month isn't bad either.

Not bad. I wish US carriers could do better. $80 USD buys 10GB on Verizon, and that's only a third of your use.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Unlimited plans have nothing to do with the carrier bottleneck. It's the amount of data being pushed through at that moment. The data caps are purely so the companies can charge more for data.

Verizon and ATT no longer have unlimited data plans.
  • Reply 114 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Hmm...."everyone hates the carriers". Half the carriers aren't even making a profit (Sprint, T-Mobile) and the other half are just doing "OK" (Verizon, AT&T). Yet when the carriers want to raise more capital in order to invest in the infrastructure, all of us cry foul over the increase in our monthly bills. Yet Apple is able to earn 50% profit on every item they sell and we are OK with that. Strange world.

Maybe if things such as call quality and signal stability weren't questionable?
  • Reply 115 of 131
    Quote:

Uuuh, did you read my entire post or just glanced at it and assumed you knew what I was talking about. I was being simpathetic to another poster who has to make due with a very small data plan. I have an unlimited data plan. I don't have to worry about watching anything except maybe a letter asking me if I could keep my downloading under a terabyte, A letter which I have received by the way, it was last November. We were remodeling our house and we had to live in a hotel for a while. What would the bill at Verizon be for instance if I downloaded say 500GB when I only had a 10GB data plan, which I assume is the largest plan you guys have in the states. 1,000 dollars, 2,000, how much, I'm sure it's an astronomical amount of money.

None of which changes the point. If a person with a data plan exceeds that plan by such a huge amount, they're going to be charged for it. People should know what they're signing up for and act accordingly. If someone has a 2 GB plan and downloads 500 GB, they should expect to pay lots of money - and stop whining about being surprised by the bill.
  • Reply 116 of 131
    Quote:

None of which changes the point. If a person with a data plan exceeds that plan by such a huge amount, they're going to be charged for it. People should know what they're signing up for and act accordingly. If someone has a 2 GB plan and downloads 500 GB, they should expect to pay lots of money - and stop whining about being surprised by the bill.

One problem I see is, if I use the fuel metaphor often mentioned earlier in the thread, there is no equivalent of a "fuel gauge" on the dashboard. The current method of finding how much you've used is more cumbersome than getting a dipstick to check your tank level every time you want to know how much you have left.
  • Reply 117 of 131
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Road trips or when one goes out of town.

Or for the kids in the car

Solutions:

1. Most motel chains offer free WiFi, unless you like to stay at places that really gouge you.

2. Pay upfront $100 extra for a 32GB memory model or $200 for a 64GB. Download a bunch of kids' movies from iTunes using WiFi at home or hotel and you'll never have to stream them over 4G LTE. Buying the extra memory will pay off in the long run.
  • Reply 118 of 131
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Maybe we can get Activist Sandra Fluke to go and appeal for help before a Congressional meeting stating that at in addition to the three thousand dollars it costs for birth control over the course of obtaining a law degree in three years at Georgetown U., it also will cost almost another three grand on Verizon's 10GB/mo plan during that same time period.

We need help there too!

/

/

/

Are you saying you're a data slut?
  • Reply 119 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

One problem I see is, if I use the fuel metaphor often mentioned earlier in the thread, there is no equivalent of a "fuel gauge" on the dashboard. The current method of finding how much you've used is more cumbersome than getting a dipstick to check your tank level every time you want to know how much you have left.

Really? It took me less than 10 seconds to do it on my iPhone - and I had to figure it out from scratch since it's not something I have done before.
  • Reply 120 of 131
    Quote:

Really? It took me less than 10 seconds to do it on my iPhone - and I had to figure it out from scratch since it's not something I have done before.

OK, how did you do it? Logging into a user account on AT&T's site certainly isn't efficient.