Foxconn employee says Apple placing orders for next iPhone to debut in October

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014


The head of human resources at one Foxconn factory claims that Apple has recently placed an order for its sixth-generation iPhone, and that the device is on schedule to launch in October of 2012.



The official from Foxconn's Taiyuan factory allegedly gave the info and date to South Korea's Maeil Business Newspaper. The original article was translated on Monday by Kotaku.



"We just got the order," the Foxconn human resources head reportedly told the newspaper. "[The release] will be around October."



The paper spoke with the head of human resources because Foxconn's Taiyuan factory has posted many hiring notices of late. The employee confirmed that the factory has been hiring a large number of employees lately as it gears up to assemble Apple's next iPhone.



Rumors have generally pointed toward a fall 2012 launch of the next iPhone, placing it one year after the debut of the iPhone 4S. Last year's iPhone 4S launch was unique because Apple, in years past, had launched new models in the months of June or July.



One report from February claimed that Apple plans to continue to release new iPhone models in the fall for the foreseeable future. Last year's iPhone launch essentially took the place of Apple's annual fall iPod event, but the iPod now represents a much smaller part of Apple's business, which led to it being pushed into the background in 2011.





Apple CEO Tim Cook touring an iPhone production line at a Foxconn plant in Zhengzhou, China, via MIC Gadget.







Apple's decision to launch a new iPhone just before the holiday buying season proved to be a successful strategy. The company sold a record 37 million iPhones during the December quarter, achieving 128 percent unit growth over the 2010 holidays.



The latest report contradicts one from last week in which a different Foxconn employee suggested Apple could launch its next-generation iPhone in June. That person claimed Foxconn's Taiyuan factory was gearing up for an iPhone launch much sooner than October by hiring 18,000 employees.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 26
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    If true, the article should read "the former head of ..."
  • Reply 2 of 26
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Until this afternoon when someone reports that the janitor says shipments are scheduled for late this June. This release date noise is getting tiring....
  • Reply 3 of 26
    tcphototcphoto Posts: 65member
    If an employee makes a wage that is below their expectation they will show no loyalty toward the Company. The mere fact that there are suicide nets on the employee dormitory should be an indication of Company morale. I can only imagine what they think when the upper management arrives at work in a Maybach or other exotic sports car. I'm sure that anyone can get company secrets for the price of a meal.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    I think Apple should take the blame for this. These rumors wouldn't exist if they hadn't changed the release time on the iPhone 4s. I'm looking forward to the next phone, which I imagine will simply be called iPhone because my iPhone 4 is in need of an upgrade.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post


    If an employee makes a wage that is below their expectation they will show no loyalty toward the Company. The mere fact that there are suicide nets on the employee dormitory should be an indication of Company morale. I can only imagine what they think when the upper management arrives at work in a Maybach or other exotic sports car. I'm sure that anyone can get company secrets for the price of a meal.



    Seriously???? Don't you have a street somewhere that you need to occupy??



    Thousands line up for jobs when there are openings, so the pay must be better than most in the area.. Suicide rates at these factories are less than just for the general population in China.. Seeing upper management drive up in a nice car should give them incentive to work hard, so they to can have a nice car some day.. You think so little of Chinese workers morals, that you claim they would sell secrets for a meal?? Some people are loyal to the companies they work for, and I don't think any of them are starving



    Of course facts don't matter when you have an agenda....
  • Reply 6 of 26
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    If true, the article should read "the former head of ..."



    Agree!!!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LMGS View Post


    Seriously???? Don't you have a street somewhere that you need to occupy??



    Thousands line up for jobs when there are openings, so the pay must be better than most in the area.. Suicide rates at these factories are less than just for the general population in China.. Seeing upper management drive up in a nice car should give them incentive to work hard, so they to can have a nice car some day.. You think so little of Chinese workers morals, that you claim they would sell secrets for a meal?? Some people are loyal to the companies they work for, and I don't think any of them are starving



    Of course facts don't matter when you have an agenda....



    To be clear, you were caught in a trolling net.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LMGS View Post


    Seriously???? Don't you have a street somewhere that you need to occupy??



    Thousands line up for jobs when there are openings, so the pay must be better than most in the area.. Suicide rates at these factories are less than just for the general population in China.. Seeing upper management drive up in a nice car should give them incentive to work hard, so they to can have a nice car some day.. You think so little of Chinese workers morals, that you claim they would sell secrets for a meal?? Some people are loyal to the companies they work for, and I don't think any of them are starving



    Of course facts don't matter when you have an agenda....



    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You're not smart enough to be so rude. So shut up
  • Reply 9 of 26
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post


    If an employee makes a wage that is below their expectation they will show no loyalty toward the Company. The mere fact that there are suicide nets on the employee dormitory should be an indication of Company morale. I can only imagine what they think when the upper management arrives at work in a Maybach or other exotic sports car. I'm sure that anyone can get company secrets for the price of a meal.



    This story is getting so old. If you are so adamant about changing the system, stop buying EVERYTHING you now buy.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You're not smart enough to be so rude. So shut up



    The irony was not lost on me.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,764member
    9to5Mac has a related story, but obviously based off different sources with more rumors.

    "Apple has internally seeded a prototype next-generation iPhone with the iPhone 4 design. The actual next-generation iPhone is specifically said to not include the iPhone 4/4S design, but Apple is testing these new devices in older casings to throw off leaks. The purpose of the prototype iPhone that we heard about is to test a variation of the “A5X” chip in an iPhone. The A5X processor in the new iPad was specifically built to drive the new Retina Display, so that chip wouldn’t make much sense in an iPhone.



    Instead, the iPhone prototypes that we’re talking about have a variation of the A5X’s S5L8945X architecture. Like the A5X-powered iPad, these new iPhone prototypes are packing 1GB of RAM. This prototype is labeled N96 internally, but we’re not sure if this internal codename will carry over to the actual next-generation iPhone. Again, this iPhone that we are describing is an internal-only unit built for testing the performance of a new chip in an iPhone, not an actual phone that Apple will produce."



    http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/09/faster...-in-the-works/
  • Reply 12 of 26
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Well, at least the timeframe is believable. June, not so much.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    If true, the article should read "the former head of ..."



    Actually probably not. There's no details about the phone and it is a logical assumption that Apple would release it in Oct since the last one was in Oct.



    so no real info was being given out.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post


    I think Apple should take the blame for this. These rumors wouldn't exist if they hadn't changed the release time on the iPhone 4s. I'm looking forward to the next phone, which I imagine will simply be called iPhone because my iPhone 4 is in need of an upgrade.



    Rumors about the iPhones have existed way before release dates were changed. Same with the iPad, every computer etc.



    Because rumors about Apple and its stuff make money for sites so they will make up stuff if they have to just to draw hits in
  • Reply 15 of 26
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    Rumors about the iPhones have existed way before release dates were changed. Same with the iPad, every computer etc.



    Because rumors about Apple and its stuff make money for sites so they will make up stuff if they have to just to draw hits in



    Wonder how menu of these rumors would be intended by Apple, does anybody really believe that they hurt Apple?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post


    This story is getting so old. If you are so adamant about changing the system, stop buying EVERYTHING you now buy.



    That makes no sense at all. No even as hyperbole.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RPT View Post


    Wonder how menu of these rumors would be intended by Apple, does anybody really believe that they hurt Apple?



    Yes. There is clear evidence that sales of Apple products decline when there's a rumor of a newer version on its way.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    Actually probably not. There's no details about the phone and it is a logical assumption that Apple would release it in Oct since the last one was in Oct.



    so no real info was being given out.



    Hence "if true" ...



    And Apple does not tolerate any kind of leak, not even wetting of pants.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    iPhone will not launch at the beginning of a quarter because it will stall sales for customers waiting for the next release. if anything, the announcement will be in the first week of the last month of a quarter to avoid what happened in October 2011. Just my outlook.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    If true, the article should read "the former head of ..."



    Considering the leak is from the head of human resources (ie: somebody with executive responsabilites) and taking into account that it isn't an "average" leak, but a leak to the press, if this was true and I was Apple, the article would read "Foxconn, the former..."
Sign In or Register to comment.