Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple rumored to adopt in-cell touch panels for 2012 iPhone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Great news. Now what the hell is a " in-cell touch panels"?

• Reply 2 of 33
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Beats me!

• Reply 3 of 33
    kent909 wrote: »
    <p> Great news. Now what the hell is a " in-cell touch panels"?</p>

This one to explain, from the article itself...

[...] touch panels that use in-cell technology can be made thinner because the touch sensors are actually placed inside the color filters rather than on top of them [...]

Simples...

• Reply 4 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

It's what we call them in the US. Other countries call them in-mobile touch panels¡

• Reply 5 of 33

Well, at least this is an original rumor. I love a good rumor as much as anybody, but I was getting a little tired of "Next iPhone To Launch In October", then "Launch in June" then back to "Launch in October" as if it was a new thing. 

I didn't even know what in-cell touch panels were. If this is true, then the next iPhone will have upended nearly every aspect of its hardware. Display, body, touch panel...presumably new networking, processor, RAM, camera. Pretty much everything. image

I don't know what the future holds, but it seems I picked a good upgrade rhythm! 3G, 4, "iPhone 5". Even-numbered years FTW

• Reply 6 of 33

Well, well, well...

That is something that the user of Samsung Galaxy phones (and Samsung Window Phones) are enjoying from years ago...

SuperAMOLED display, a registered Samsung brand is exactly that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_AMOLED

• Reply 7 of 33

Monteize your time spent online! This great site gives you the opportunity to make extra income doing very easy online jobs. I myself made over $1000 just last week and it keeps growing! Only basic typing skills required. For more info visit MakeCash25.com

• Reply 8 of 33

Now the New iPad can lose that silly extra millimeter. The Great Steveo will sleep easier now...

• Reply 9 of 33
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

"Well, well, well...

That is something that the user of Samsung Galaxy phones (and Samsung Window Phones) are enjoying from years ago...

SuperAMOLED display, a registered Samsung brand is exactly that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_AMOLED"

Now if only they can start producing quality hardware, with software optimised to run on it, with an incredible app selection, backed up by the world's best customer service.

Wouldn't that be something?

• Reply 10 of 33
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Sweet. In-cell touchscreens are thinner.  Thinner screens mean more space for bigger batteries.  Bigger batteries will give us acceptable battery life with LTE connectivity.  I can't wait.

• Reply 11 of 33

I'm on the same rhythm. Liking it!

• Reply 12 of 33
    +1 on the rhythm...
  • Reply 13 of 33
    I thought it was just me. What are these cells?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Did anyone else notice the revamped forums?  I had been wondering what happened to the "comments" section on the last few posts...

Anyway, thinner is better.  WOOT!

• Reply 15 of 33

The use of Liquidmetal for the back of the phone is rather interesting. Google liquidmetal for the wiki description. This material is an alloy of several metals, including zirconium, which is used for crowns of implants in the dental world. This stuff is strong beyond belief, and can be colored. Good move.

• Reply 16 of 33
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Doesn't make the fake colors any better.

J.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    <p> Well, well, well...</p><p> That is something that the user of Samsung Galaxy phones (and Samsung Window Phones) are enjoying from years ago...</p><p> SuperAMOLED display, a registered Samsung brand is exactly that.</p><p>  </p><p> <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_AMOLED">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_AMOLED</a></p>

Doesn't make the fake colors any better.

J.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Appleinsider, it's a shame that my browser isn't compatible with the 'rich text editor'.
    Especially since it's the latest iOS safari on the latest iPad.

J.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Too much technical stuff 99% of AI readers don't care about, including me. All that seems like blahblahblahblah
  • Reply 20 of 33
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Did anyone else notice the revamped forums?  I had been wondering what happened to the "comments" section on the last few posts...

Anyway, thinner is better.  WOOT!

Why is the title of the browser "29"?  Will "Facebook" login options prevent me from participating signed in at work?  (Most companies block Facebook.)  Why on Earth does it default to sending me email about replies to comments on a website??