Class-action suit targets Apple for iCloud downtime

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 124
    richsadamsrichsadams Posts: 129member


    Really?  Seriously?


     


    Anyone that's migrated their email or any other web service from one provider (or even server) to another more than once without a glitch is a rare bird.  It happens.  Get over it.  


     


    The transition from Mobile Me to iCloud was completely flawless for me and tens of thousands of others.  Apple refunded me $99 to cover one year of Mobile Me service that I had already paid for.  They didn't have to but they did AND Mobile Me continues to work just fine.  Apple gave every Mobile Me user ample end-of-life notice.


     


    I have five email addresses at three hosts including Apple and iCloud email is no more or less prone to being down than any other service in my experience.  Anyone who's life depends on a single email account probably shouldn't have a computer.


     


    I'd like Apple to combine my iCloud and iTunes account ID's as well.  However other than being a tad inconvenient that doesn't prevent me or Ms. Comer from doing anything with respect to either service.


     


    I have a lot of respect for most attorney's, but as mentioned, like any other profession there are slime balls that will take your money knowing full well that you'll get nothing in return.


     


    If you don't like the provider, find a new one...or find a low-life that will file a lawsuit...I guess.


     

  • Reply 22 of 124
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    It's a definite turn off to new users.  

    Where I work it's 98% Mac and always has been but out of the 500 or so users I deal with directly, only a small fraction were previously using Apple's mail services.  Now with the rise of iOS, there is a real advantage to using iCloud and I help someone move onto it at least once a week or so.  Most have got an AppleID or two over the years for one reason or another and merging these disparate ID's or creating a new one that can be merged with whatever they were using it's pretty much the number one question I get when we start talking about it.   

    These people are dedicated Mac users for years, many from System 7 days, they are buying into Apple's iCloud as Apple wants them to, and yet they are begin screwed over (their words not mine) by Apple simply because they failed to see the wisdom years ago of having a .Mac account.  

    I understand the engineering reasons behind not being able to merge accounts, but from the user level it's a a very real and large problem.  

    In many cases Apple is giving the middle finger to some of their oldest customers here.  They generally take in in stride when they find out, but there's a golden opportunity being lost here.  Apple is losing the chance to treat their customers better than they are treated elsewhere, and to make sure that their core users are being taken care of. 

    I choose to believe that a fix/solution for multiple IDs is in the work. Fortunately, since 1999/2000, I have had to update my primary email just once. That was the iTools to .Mac transition. Never switched to .me and was lucky (won't claim foresight) that my iTunes account is my .Mac email, and everything "just works"

    What I would like, however, is to take the aliases I have and separate them out. That way, I can use the specific alias on my iPhone, my wife can use her specific alias on hers, and the kids can each use theirs on their iPods.
  • Reply 23 of 124
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,739member


    I always wonder what kind of loser would sue anybody for such a trivial thing. Did she get raped by an iPhone or something? 


     


    According to what I see on Google, there's only one Danyelle Comer listed in the US. If this is the same person listed in the lawsuit., then their job is Business Banking Relationship Manager at JPMorgan Chase.


     


    I've been to a few Chase ATM's before and they were either out of service or out of money. I've also run into a couple of bums sometimes sleeping inside a Chase bank's ATM areas late at night. This is a huge threat to everybody's safety and security, not to mention the biohazard threat that bums represent and I feel that Chase should definitely be sued for their lack of security and for the times when their services are temporarily unavailable to me and to other customers. I'd say that's a bit more serious than not being able to access your fucking email a few times.


     


    Hopefully this dumb broad will get their lawsuit tossed out of court and somebody else will sue her for tying up the US court system with nonsense.

  • Reply 24 of 124
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post


    ...no end to the "beggary" that is today's legal system?



     


    I think it's spelled buggery. image

  • Reply 25 of 124


    Class-action lawsuits are very important to protect citizens from ruthless companies. Because of that, the US government should make a law that stipulates, to practice law i US, law firms and lawyers should be forced to take class-actions lawsuits and do them for free. Courts should point out a lawyer or law firm that should handle the case. If they denies or do a lousy job, they should lose all rights to practice law in US.

  • Reply 26 of 124


    I am not a fan of Apple as many of you may know, but I'm behind them on this one because this is pretty lame for having a class action lawsuit on downtime.. I mean come on, every site has downtime. If this actually goes anywhere, hell I'll just sue every company whenever they have a downtime and I'll be rich in no time.. sheesh.

  • Reply 27 of 124
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post



    We constantly read about this sort of thing on other cloud systems. CEOs apologize, users are angry and vent their frustrations in forums. All hell breaks loose.

    But only Apple gets sued over it.


     


    That's not true. Many companies are sued for similar reasons, justifiably or not.

  • Reply 28 of 124
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 302member


    I still don't get why someone would want to create a second Apple ID anyway.  I've run into zero issues having the same Apple ID since the iTunes Store opened in 2003.

  • Reply 29 of 124


    I never get why people who use other devices and admittedly aren't fans of Apple, would take the time to post or even read posts on an Apple site. Kind of like going into a Porsche dealer from time to time, and telling everyone how much better his/her Chevy is than the Porsche. 

  • Reply 30 of 124


    The civil litigation system in our country is simply out of control, and the class-action system in particular is very damaging to this country.  By gathering together large masses of people with minor issues that would not normally merit the time and cost of litigation, this class-action abuse makes it profitable for just about anything to be a cause for litigation.  The million "injured" will all get $1, while the law firm will get $1 million.


     


    Write you Senators demanding an end to this abusive system, which is a drag on business and life in our country.  And if you actually voted for the Democrat Senator in your state who is in bed with these miscreants, consider voting them out of office next time.

  • Reply 31 of 124
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post


    I am not a fan of Apple as many of you may know, but I'm behind them on this one because this is pretty lame for having a class action lawsuit on downtime.. I mean come on, every site has downtime. If this actually goes anywhere, hell I'll just sue every company whenever they have a downtime and I'll be rich in no time.. sheesh.



     


    He is converting to apple.. watch it.. soon he will be in denial  hehehe

  • Reply 32 of 124
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member


    deleted

  • Reply 33 of 124
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,718member


    This is pure sh1t. When my cable goes out, I don't first think of suing. Ridiculous!

     

  • Reply 34 of 124


    Lawyers should be held accountable. That would stop this crap. Faruqi & Faruqi are just gold-diggers. This suit has little merit. Comer and the attorneys need to actually read the EULA (I doubt they can read though). Also, I wonder what the "damages" really are since iCloud is FREE. Coming from an IT background, I've seen some of the best internal email systems go down. It happens. You just better have your stuff backed up. :-)

  • Reply 35 of 124
    ivladivlad Posts: 740member


    They should also sue God for making it rain every other day.

  • Reply 36 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Someone should let those users who had "devastating consequences" that this law suite will only benefit the lawyers.  It would be interesting to read how many on this class action lawsuit had "devasting consequences" or just generally inconvenienced.  Isn't MobileMe still currently active or now just ending anyway.  I think the iCloud beta had disclaimers on not to rely on.

    Yes, there are disclaimers.

    However, that doesn't stop people from suing - and Apple may settle if it's cheaper than fighting it. Attorneys will get $2,000,000 and the plaintiffs will get an extra 2 months added to their free iCloud service. /s
  • Reply 37 of 124
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member


    I cannot see this lawsuit succeeding.  MMOs periodically experience unexpected downtime, and maybe I am wrong, but I do not see publishers being successfully sued.

  • Reply 38 of 124
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member


    deleted

  • Reply 39 of 124
    habanerohabanero Posts: 77member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post


    Frivolous.



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I always wonder what kind of loser would sue anybody for such a trivial thing...



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AndroidUser View Post


    ... this is pretty lame for having a class action lawsuit on downtime.. ... sheesh.



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by commoncents View Post


    The civil litigation system in our country is simply out of control...



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


    This is pure sh1t. When my cable goes out, I don't first think of suing. Ridiculous!

     



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post


    They should also sue God for making it rain every other day.



     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post


    I didn't sue when my home Time Warner Cable internet went out for 10 days...



     


    No one here is in any position to judge if the case has merit based on the misleading AI headline. Watch Stephen Colbert's interview with the director of Hot Coffee for a very good refutation of the knee-jerk responses above (NOTE: I don't know the merits of the case either, so I'm not saying it has any-- I'm just saying because the headline was condensed for garnering clicks on AI, it's probably not a fair representation of what happened)

  • Reply 40 of 124
    inklinginkling Posts: 731member


    There are few things in life more bizarre than a lawyer accusing Apple of engaging in "unfair, unlawful, deceptive, and misleading practices."


     


    And it's not just that virtually everything the legal profession does involves engaging in just those practices, it's that if you point out the a lawyer that someone else in his profession is behaving that way, his eyes go blank. While the legal profession wants to hold others to almost impossibly high standards of conduct, the profession itself has virtually no standards that apply to the behavior of lawyers. 


     


    You can't, for instance, sue a lawyer who blatently lies when he sends you one of those nasty 'cease and desist' letters, despite the fact that he's not only giving legal counsel, he's giving you legal counsel that's both dishonest and bad for you.


     


     


     


     

Sign In or Register to comment.