Circuits in Apple's iPhone charger are 'surprisingly complex and innovative'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    I guess that's why they sell them at 500% margins, must be the surprisingly complex and innovative electronics. Pass the mustard please.

Grey poopon, of course.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    signalsignal Posts: 37member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah you get your mustard free with your iPhone but if you lose it it's hotdog time when buy it from apple then.

At some point the need to be a dick overwhelms everything else and you just start making whining noises.

• Reply 43 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So you think that the low idle power consumption and efficiency magically appeared? Or does it make sense that it's due to the complexity and quality of the device?

Huh?  I was responding to a post that wondered why the article was even posted as "news", since we had earlier figures on performance.  I was pointing out that the article's emphasis lay elsewhere.  How on earth you manage to get to semi-beligerent on that slender opportunity is beyond me.

• Reply 44 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tune View Post

Meanwhile Samsung is getting published in Science Magazine for pioneering work on graphene transistors which have 100 times the computing power of today's silicon. But good job on the charger - atta boy Apple.

At some point the need to be a dick overwhelms everything else and you just start making whining noises.

• Reply 45 of 50
    d00dd00d Posts: 2member

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipm View Post

Apple has a long tradition of better than average power supply design (but sometimes faulty implementation). 

The one in the original Airport Base Station was awesome.  It helped me hone my soldering skills.

• Reply 46 of 50
    zogzogzogzog Posts: 14member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby132 View Post

What are you talking about?  What does the nominal voltage of a cell have to do with the cell's capacity?  A charger only charging a cell to 80% of its capacity has nothing to do with the cell's voltage.  Furthermore, a charger designed only for NiMH cells should not be used to charge alkaline cells.

There is no direct way to measure the actual amount of charge in a cell from the outside. However, since voltage always goes down as a cell is discharged (to varying degrees depending on the battery's chemistry), voltage level often is used as a proxy to measure remaining charge. The problem here is that non-rechargeable alkaline batteries have 1.5V at full charge, while NiMH has 1.2V at full charge. Your device can't read the labels on your batteries, and has no way of knowing whether it is a fully charged NiMH or an partially-used alkaline whose voltage has dropped to 1.2V. 

• Reply 47 of 50

Quote:

What are you talking about?  What does the nominal voltage of a cell have to do with the cell's capacity?  A charger only charging a cell to 80% of its capacity has nothing to do with the cell's voltage.  Furthermore, a charger designed only for NiMH cells should not be used to charge alkaline cells.

There is no direct way to measure the actual amount of charge in a cell from the outside. However, since voltage always goes down as a cell is discharged (to varying degrees depending on the battery's chemistry), voltage level often is used as a proxy to measure remaining charge. The problem here is that non-rechargeable alkaline batteries have 1.5V at full charge, while NiMH has 1.2V at full charge. Your device can't read the labels on your batteries, and has no way of knowing whether it is a fully charged NiMH or an partially-used alkaline whose voltage has dropped to 1.2V. 

• Reply 48 of 50
    bobby132bobby132 Posts: 6member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zogzog View Post

I agree completely.  The problem is with the assertion that the cell's nominal voltage is somehow an indication of the cell's capacity; this is simply not true.

• Reply 49 of 50

Quote:

I agree completely.  The problem is with the assertion that the cell's nominal voltage is somehow an indication of the cell's capacity; this is simply not true.

Um, sorry, but that IS true. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. See this graph, for example, for alkaline batteries:

http://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm

Voltage at full charge is 1.5V, and then it falls from there gradually until about 0.8V, after which there is a precipitous fall (out of charge).

NiMH also has a falling voltage curve, but it looks different:

http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

Start out at around 1.2V, a gentler fall than alkaline, then a big fall at the end.

So there is a clear correlation between voltage level and remaining capacity,

which is why a voltmeter can be used by a device to guess how much charge is remaining in its battery.

• Reply 50 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by zogzog View Post

Um, sorry, but that IS true. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough. See this graph, for example, for alkaline batteries:

http://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm

Voltage at full charge is 1.5V, and then it falls from there gradually until about 0.8V, after which there is a precipitous fall (out of charge).

NiMH also has a falling voltage curve, but it looks different:

http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

Start out at around 1.2V, a gentler fall than alkaline, then a big fall at the end.

So there is a clear correlation between voltage level and remaining capacity,

which is why a voltmeter can be used by a device to guess how much charge is remaining in its battery.

You misunderstood me.  I agree there is a correlation between voltage and remaining capacity.  What I said is there is no relation between the nominal voltage of a cell and its maximum capacity, which is what an earlier post claimed.