Jury finds Google Android didn't violate Oracle's patents

Comments

• Reply 81 of 177
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Are we not allowed to hold the opinion that iOS is crappy?

No. You are not allowed to have that opinion.

At least on AI...

... but you'd do well to not have that opinion. Period.

• Reply 82 of 177
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

No. You are not allowed that opinion.

Well, yes. Just not… here. image

You will ALWAYS be called into question, EVERYWHERE you go, if you have a hatred of the content of the place you are, and you're vocal about it.

Political forums, car forums, technology forums, forums about music, forums about…

Why all these newcomers (who actually often turn out to be trolls) are so mystified by the fact that they're being called out for hating Apple on an Apple forum… mystifies ME.

• Reply 83 of 177
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

I don't know if the jury really was capable of understanding the technical details of what was presented.  Should be interesting to see Oracle's next step...

Next step, they appeal. Same as basically every IP case. 

• Reply 84 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, at least you explained 2 things:

1. iPhone users are cool

2. The majority of people want an iPhone

Thank you.

you forgot

3. iPhone users want to use their phone not spend all their time doing 'cool' tweaks on it to show folks how cool they are.

• Reply 85 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

I appreciate that. But threatening to report people who criticise iOS without providing evidence, whilst allowing others free reign to do exactly the same thing about Android, is a pretty undesirable double standard and not one which a moderator should condone. 

And what about subjecting the rest of us to what is basically a private discussion. Something you are both guilty of and both of you should be intelligent and mature enough to not do. It's rude to the rest of us, it's thread jacking and if you think it proves you have a big one, it does. A big ego. 

So how about you pretend like you are adults and can it. 

• Reply 86 of 177
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Manufacturer add ons, Sense, Touchwiz, Blur etc, Google Apps and Market access

This is NOT Android and even if Oracle won the trial they won't be open because they are not part of Android

So I repeat, how is Android not open?

• Reply 87 of 177
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

So many people are commenting here that this is the end of oracles case, lol its far from over.  This trial for any who have read foss patents is far from over.  It was split into 3 mini trials.  Copyright, Patent and damage.  The copyright phase last week was decided in oracles favor, with one question left to be decided by the judge, fair use.  The patents phase was over two patents both of which have been deemed not infringed.  so that part of this first set of trials is over.  There are a ton of things left.  This will be appealed and the fair use part of the first trial will be decided.  But this is not a slam dunk for google by any means.  If you really want to know what is going on read foss patents. 

The same FOSSPAtents Florian Mueller that is paid by Oracle and that the same that all of his predictions about the case has been wrong.

And you still are not right, Judge Alsup has not to decide about Fair Use, he has to decide if API's are copyrighteable and it won't be a third phase, the damages will be set by the judge.

• Reply 88 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I hope you realize that much of what you say is either outright wrong, subjective, or just exaggerations. 

I hope you realize by now that I don't hold back anything I say. Take it or leave it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Can't answer a question with a question. Simply defend the reason.

I'll ask again, why would I want to?

I just did, your answer is there..

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, at least you explained 2 things:

1. iPhone users are cool

2. The majority of people want an iPhone

Thank you.

Yes, they are very "cool" indeed.. that is why most people don't want an iPhone because they want to be unique. That is one of the reason why I stay away from the iPhone is because I really don't want to be in a group of people, all having iPhones in their hand, nothing special. When it used to be just for AT&T, ok, I'll give them that because it wasn't like every carrier has an iPhone on their network. Look at it now, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, AND people using it on T-Mobile's network since the beginning just make me feel embarrassed for those people, seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

You need a girlfriend.   With a custom ROM.  And a life.

I'm perfectly happy with my life, thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Um, I think you just dug you own grave, wait till Tallest Skill get's a hold of you. You can say Android OS is a better system but you can't say iOS is a crappy product without at least saying why.

Tell him to bring it on, I don't back down on someone that talks out of their a** most of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View Post

It is stolen from Apple.  And Oracle.  But mostly Apple.

What is stolen from Apple? Explain? Oracle? Wasn't this thread about Android not infringing on Oracle's patents?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

I am not anti-Apple. Disagreeing with some things which Apple does, and thinking that Apple's competitors make good products too, doesn't make me anti-Apple. 

Apple is my favourite tech company. That doesn't mean I have to lose any sense of balance or rationality when I talk about Apple. It also doesn't mean that I won't find it ridiculous when people make assertions about competitors that just aren't true!

Saying that Android is a piece of crap and not a proper OS is just as lazy and dogmatic as saying the same things about iOS. It isn't true in either case. It'd be great to encourage a higher standard of debate than 'iOS is wonderful; Android is useless crap'. Unanimous praise of Apple products and trashing of competitors ad infinitum isn't really a thought-provoking discussion, is it?

Thank you. Just that Apple fanboys are very delusional when it comes to picking on their products because they worship anything Apple does, right or wrong, good or bad.

And for whoever decided to banned me from replying with my original account. Don't be butt hurt, geez. I have a right to have an opinion about the product, and I'm doing just what others on here are doing and that is post how they feel. Apple fanboys will always praise Apple/iOS, and same with Google/Android, or MS/Windows, etc. Don't be butt hurt because you can't keep up with the argument. I think it is silly to do such a thing as to ban me for whatever I was doing "different" than what others I see do on here. If you felt I was going on too hard on you, just ask nicely and I'll stop, LOL.

I just think that since this is an Apple forum, it would be just so boring when all you come here to see is praises and only praises for Apple with no constructive criticism whatsoever, is that what you really want Moderators?? Just my two cents.

• Reply 89 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I agree.

No surprise that the fandroids came out to infest this thread.  Small victory for Google, but they are so not out of the woods yet.

Android is a sham of a system.  Get real competition into the marketplace.  Not some botched copy of iOS.  WebOS, Win8, etc... at least they had the guts to make a go of it.  

Why wasn't he banned? What is different from him saying that Android is "a sham of a system," as opposed to me saying that Apple's crappy iOS? Double-standard much?

• Reply 90 of 177
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Apparently the lesson to be learned the last few days is that any comment is ok, as long as it is 'Pro-Apple', including racist/xenophobic comments from moderators. However, using the word 'crappy' will get you banned if it is in any shape or form 'Anti-Apple'. Have I been following along correctly?

To confirm, suppose I love Mac and iOS products, but despise AppleTV. Will I be banned for any disparaging comments with regards to the latter?

• Reply 91 of 177

Yeah, so.. Apple is the BEST. Google AND Android sucks balls! Android is a crappy OS, and iOS is a billion, gazillion times better. Period! There, I said it. I don't want to get banned from this site anymore..

• Reply 92 of 177
    As the saying goes if you don't like it you can leave. Nobody in their right mind would be in a place their not welcomed. If you find the Apple people who on an Apple forum are either too delusional or are too far up in themselves for your taste. You can go with no regard nor respect for this site if you wish. I won't lie that I myself like Apple products and wish I had the money to buy the MBA. I'm sure you will reply to this in some demeaning manner or try to put me down in some way because I like Apple. I dont always have to agree with them nor do I have to buy their products, but my choice is to do so. So call me what you will I don't care. Just show some respect for a forum that talks about a company and its products that you deem crappy on a forum that is for it personally aka Apple.
  • Reply 93 of 177
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Knock off the "those evil Apple fanboys are oppressing the peace loving Android users on this site" act. You come here to pick a fight and complain about being banned. Who's more "delusional"?
  • Reply 94 of 177
    stoobsstoobs Posts: 40member

Ugh, really?

1 - This isn't a democracy - this is a privately owned internet discussion forum, their site, their rules, their judgement. You agree to this when you sign up.

2 - This is an Apple-centric discussion site. Not Android. No, really. Not Android. We know this. Your hint is in the domain name.

3 - By and large, we simply don't care about whatever the new Android phone megawidget is or does. You paid your money, you made your choice. So did we. Some of us have used just about every mobile system out there at one point or another, and we still prefer the iOS platform. That doesn't make us stupid, sheep, cool, satanic or any other label that some might want to hang around our necks. It's a phone/media device/tablet, get over it.

4 - Google/Bing/Yahoo/etc is only a click/swipe/voice command away - use it if you don't like Apple/Appleinsider/Moderators/The opinions/Members/Colors/Fonts whatever. There are other more applicable forums out there for you to join.

5 - Don't worry about it - there's more to life ;)

• Reply 95 of 177

Likely just one of many, many victories in store for Google this year (and beyond).

• Reply 96 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Knock off the "those evil Apple fanboys are oppressing the peace loving Android users on this site" act. You come here to pick a fight and complain about being banned. Who's more "delusional"?

How am I coming here to pick a fight? This thread was started about how Android didn't violate Oracle's patents. People started talking about things, on topic, and what do you know, a freakin' MODERATOR for God's sake had to make a bad comment (Post 8), and sflocal started bashing Android's OS, yet it is HIS opinion and I offered MY OPINION to his post and yet I'm labeled a troll, and I came here to pick a fight? Comon now, anyone with common sense would see how this is wrong in every sense of the meaning. But whatevers.

• Reply 97 of 177

double!!
  • Reply 98 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The bolded statement only applies in the case of true competition - and even then, it's not always true.

But let's take this scenario. You have a jewelry store. It's the only jewelry store in town and you do a robust business. I decide to open my own jewelry store, but I stock it by breaking into yours and taking half of your jewelry. That should be OK because competition is good for consumers, right?

Competition needs to be legitimate competition. Stealing someone else's work doesn't count.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyram Gestan View Post

It is stolen from Apple.  And Oracle.  But mostly Apple.

what was stolen? 

• Reply 99 of 177

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoobs View Post

Ugh, really?

1 - This isn't a democracy - this is a privately owned internet discussion forum, their site, their rules, their judgement. You agree to this when you sign up.

2 - This is an Apple-centric discussion site. Not Android. No, really. Not Android. We know this. Your hint is in the domain name.

3 - By and large, we simply don't care about whatever the new Android phone megawidget is or does. You paid your money, you made your choice. So did we. Some of us have used just about every mobile system out there at one point or another, and we still prefer the iOS platform. That doesn't make us stupid, sheep, cool, satanic or any other label that some might want to hang around our necks. It's a phone/media device/tablet, get over it.

4 - Google/Bing/Yahoo/etc is only a click/swipe/voice command away - use it if you don't like Apple/Appleinsider/Moderators/The opinions/Members/Colors/Fonts whatever. There are other more applicable forums out there for you to join.

5 - Don't worry about it - there's more to life ;)

In all fairness, while I agree with your overarching point to a degree, a LOT of articles on this site have zero to do with Apple barring a game of 6 degrees of separation.

• Reply 100 of 177
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Hahaha, I am honoured.  It does not look like it but I put consideration arranging icons into folders.  I do not have any trouble finding what I want.  I dont think it depends on the DPI and phone size.  FYI, my Galaxy Nexus dpi is 316, not better than iPhone but it is ok.  And the screen size is 4.65 inch.  I dont have to zoom in for full websites on horizontal view.

I think your real DPI should be reduced by 1/3 because of the pentile, so the real DPI is 210.