Orange exec says developing markets can't sustain 'gas guzzlers' iOS, Android, Windows Phone

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Vice President of Devices Yves Maitre of European mobile operator Orange likened the iPhone, Android handsets and Windows Phones to fuel-inefficient cars, saying that the "gas guzzlers" aren't good choices for developing markets the carrier plans to enter.

In an interview with All Things D on Thursday, Maitre said that current mobile operating systems are not lightweight enough in both cost and bandwidth usage to be a feasible option for developing markets.

The Orange executive concedes that Apple's iOS and Google's Android has created a rich mobile ecosystem for mid to high-end phones which has allowed Orange to build a strong lineup of devices in its major European markets. That expensive ecosystem doesn't translate to the "6 billion" possible smartphone users in emerging markets like China and India, which may not be able to support data-heavy plans or expensive feature-rich devices.

Maitre used the automobile business as an analogue for the current state of smartphone technology, saying that when he was growing up in France, the big-block eight cylinder cars from Detroit were idolized. As the world realized that gas was a limited resource, the gas guzzlers from America ceded their position to more economical six or four cylinder options like those made famous by Japanese auto makers. The same is true of the mobile OS environment, the resource in this case being bandwidth.

Even Google's open Android OS, which enabled OEMs to produce relatively cheap devices, is said to be too resource-intensive as it continues to add new features in its fierce competition with Apple's iOS.

Yves Maitre
Orange Vice President of Devices Yves Maitre at an HTC product event in 2007. | Source: The Unwired

?I cannot run an eight-cylinder car because it is too expensive,? said Maitre. This is especially true in emerging markets where smartphone may have the draw, but consumers lack the funds to hold pre-paid data plans.

Customers in developing areas may be willing to pay a $30 premium on the average $54 Orange handset to upgrade to a smartphone, but it is doubtful that they will be able to spend another $100.

?If we are not in a position to give them a smartphone at $80, we will miss the six billion,? Maitre said in reference to the number of possible customers, adding that Orange will use other operating systems if needed to reach that price point. ?If I cannot have Microsoft on it, if I cannot have Android, if I cannot have iOS, then I will look somewhere else, mostly likely in China.?

The carrier is looking at a variety of operating systems to fit their low-cost needs including Mozilla?s Boot-to-Gecko, the Linux-based Tizen and Chinese Android variants.

Maitre also notes that bandwidth is becoming an increasingly limited commodity, saying that about one billion people active users consume less than one gigabyte of data per month.

?Tomorrow, seven billion people will use bandwidth and all use (in the range of) five or six gigabits [0.625 or 0.75GB],? he said. ?The bandwidth will start to become a very valuable resource.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Uh-oh. Here comes Greenpeace to protest Apple's "gas guzzling" iOS phones.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

What condescending cr4p. The carriers that don't/can't rise to the challenge will simply disappear. 

• Reply 3 of 62
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member

boohoo. Maybe we should take up a donation for the poor carriers.

• Reply 4 of 62
    Uh-oh, watch out for the tree huggers looking to grab your iPhone, I always knew theere was something wrong with the iPhone, it was TOO good!
    You just knew someone would come along and point out that you were using TOO much of something with an iPhone...............
  • Reply 5 of 62

Translation: "we can't fleece the poor bastards as much as we've been able to in industrialized countries."

What a douche. Good thing Free is destroying their business model in France. Unlimited calling (including international calls!), texting and 3G (may throttle after 3GB) for 30 euro/month... Niel sent all the traditional operators scrambling when he dropped the bomb mid-January 2012, and he's already revolutionized the mobile market just as he did for broadband and land lines.

• Reply 6 of 62
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member

Putting aside the "they're too poor to pay any attention to" mentality...

What poorer consumers lack in money, they tend to make up more in volume.

Seriously, if the iPhone was sold in America at it's retail price of $499-$899... would you guys REALLY want to own one?

It's only because of the $199-$399 price that we have bought the phone using our own perception of value/utility versus cost.

It's for the reason of price that the iPhone/Smart phones have done so well.

I think there's still room for a simplified version of Android in the Sub $50 range for developing countries.

A story/recent trip by our CEO to Vietnam tells of a lady who was his guide using an Android Smart phone. She didn't make a lot of money, but here connection to the world outside of her village (think grass huts) was Facebook, twitter, and browser.

That type of group, mobile internet users, are the next wave of internet users - using the internet where it normally is not accessible.

• Reply 7 of 62
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Total rubbish analogy. Bandwidth is a renewable, and it's main costs are capital costs with some on going expenses, easily paid for by most data plans. Either orange offers this, or some one else will.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I home there is some context missing, because it really doesn't tell us anything that can not be easily deduced before. Rolling out transcievers and backhaul might not be viable for large areas of the developing markets, fiber isn't cheap, transceivers aren't cheap and a fat pipe to the rest of the world isn't cheap. I don't think it takes that much discipline to work with limited amount of data, but you do miss a lot. The data hogs are video and streaming media. Without those two, it's easy to live on 200MB/mo. With those two, and no WiFi access points, you can easily get into gigabytes, depending on how much you use.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member

What a ridiculous, inapt statement.  That's like someone from Philco complaining in 1960 that those new-fangled color TVs with both UHF and VHF dials were too complicated and expensive; they'll never catch on, and the future lies with simpler TVs with just 3 channels!   

• Reply 10 of 62
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Even Google's open Android OS, which enabled OEMs to produce relatively cheap devices, is said to be too resource-intensive as it continues to add new features in its fierce competition with Apple's iOS...

Oh, more stupid car analogies...

A smartphone can operate just fine without a data plan.

• Reply 11 of 62
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Instead of griping about gas guzzler's of data intensive smart phones, why don't you "drill baby, drill" and secure a better handling of being able to provide the customers what they want!  You think people are going to be forced into a Volt?! Only idiot leaders follow that philosophy.  You think you're going to put that smart phone genie back into the bottle?  Think again!

• Reply 12 of 62
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I don't know. They might not have much money, but still proud and aspirational.

If they can't afford this year's iPhone maybe they could buy last year's, instead of whatever crap this dude is peddling.

• Reply 13 of 62
    grbladegrblade Posts: 93member

You mean iPhones aren't meant for poor people? I'm shocked.

• Reply 14 of 62
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Vice President of Devices Yves Maitre of European mobile operator Orange likened the iPhone, Android handsets and Windows Phones to fuel-inefficient cars, saying that the "gas guzzlers" aren't good choices for developing markets the carrier plans to enter....

This is a ridiculous analogy.  

Gas is a shrinking commodity that stated out cheap and is going up in price as it gets scarcer and scarcer.  Data is a commodity that started out vastly overpriced and could easily drop in price by multiple orders of magnitude as usage goes up.  

The carriers would like you to believe that their costs are fixed and the price of data is based on those costs, but it isn't even remotely true.  They'd also like you to believe that as usage doubles, triples and quadruples, the cost will remain the same because they have to build out the infrastructure for the new users but this is also demonstrably false.  

The day they finally break up the monopolies, data will drop to it's *real* cost, which is by most estimates about a quarter of what it costs today. 

• Reply 15 of 62
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member

I think you all may be missing the point. Everything we use today needs to be plugged in to and electrical outlet full time or for charging. When the 3rd world comes looking for all the junk we just can't live without they demand for bandwidth which the last time I checked is powered by electricity with explode. I really hate car analogies so I won't go there. The truth is the west has always consumed much more resources than the rest of the world developing technologies, products and services that are not resources hogs is something to think about and act upon. 

• Reply 16 of 62
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The day they finally break up the monopolies, data will drop to it's *real* cost, which is by most estimates about a quarter of what it costs today. 

Agreed... but that will also be the end of today's lavish subsidies for devices...

• Reply 17 of 62
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Agreed... but that will also be the end of today's lavish subsidies for devices...

I'd rather spend $600 up front instead of waste $2,000 over two years.

Kill the telecoms. Fix data prices. Do it without hesitation.

• Reply 18 of 62
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Data plans are, what, $30 a month on average?  That's $720 over 24 months...

• Reply 19 of 62
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"The carrier is looking at a variety of operating systems to fit their low-cost needs..."

I have a suggestion:  one word - "abacus"...

(okay, they are hard to dial)

One advantage "developing markets" may have, is that they can build their developing infrastructure toward the needs of the future, unencumbered by the existence of an infrastructure built for the past. Carriers are fighting this war now in the US and elsewhere, and it seems to help determine who shakes out.

And I don't really get the impression that anyone needs to worry about the potential of consumerism in the economies of India or especially China...

except perhaps competitors who fail to position themselves for it. 

• Reply 20 of 62
    uguysrnutsuguysrnuts Posts: 459member

I second that. I already paid $650 (sudsidized) just because my wife wanted to switch to an iPhone after her buyer's remorse with a crap ericsson phone.

If someone mentions subsidized is cheaper, well it ain't since you can't switch carriers just as easily without paying the ridiculous early termination fee.

If carriers can't hack it in an all-data world, then a new breed of providers should definitely start stealing their lunches. We welcome more of this "gaz guzzling" comments since it means these bozos are hurting.