Samsung takes cue from Apple, unifies US branding of Galaxy S III

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89

One thing that the same name across carriers will accomplish, is the availability of aftermarket access at multiple retailers.

Apple products (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) have Apple and other accessories EVERYWHERE. Pick the wrong android or non Apple phone and good luck finding aftermarket accessories.

• Reply 62 of 89
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

One minor error: new Android devices typically come with last year's dessert named OS.

Consider this timeline

May 2010 - Android 2.2 released

December 2010 - Android 2.3 released

August 2011 - Samsung introduces a brand new phone running Android 2.2.

There is something incredibly wrong when a brand new device cannot be made to work with an 8 month old OS and instead has to ship with a 15 month old one.

Said phone is still available at your local Best Buy and still running 2.2.

"There is something incredible wrong" when Apple coming up with iOS features available on Android for ages. Some of these features are still unavailable in iOS:

Copy/paste, true multitasking, notifications, tethering, voice command, USB storage, wireless OS updates, Turn-by-turn voice navigation, NFC, Face unlock, Wi-Fi Direct, cloud backup/sync, widgets, Java MIDP emulator, background processes, Swype keyboard, resolution independent UI (handles many screen sizes/resolutions/ratios)

• Reply 63 of 89
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

"Samsung has yet to announce a launch date for the Galaxy S III in the U.S."

Samsung's huge victory: Galaxy S3 launching on all major US carriers, including Verizon

• Reply 64 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mercury99 wrote: »
    "There is something incredible wrong" when Apple coming up with iOS features available on Android for ages. Some of these features are still unavailable in iOS:

Copy/paste, true multitasking, notifications, tethering, voice command, USB storage, wireless OS updates, Turn-by-turn voice navigation, NFC, Face unlock, Wi-Fi Direct, cloud backup/sync, widgets, Java MIDP emulator, <span style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, default;line-height:17px;">background processes, Swype keyboard, resolution independent UI (handles many screen sizes/resolutions/ratios)</span>

<span style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, default;line-height:17px;">Each time Apple releases new iOS version, it's already obsolete.</span>

Why can't the mods ban people who are clearly trolling by constantly hijacking threads by posting false data?
  • Reply 65 of 89
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why can't the mods ban people who are clearly trolling by constantly hijacking threads by posting false data?

We do. Just report the posts in question and we'll take a gander.

• Reply 66 of 89
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Quote:

Originally Posted by studentx View Post

So designed by "Humans" and "Inspired By Nature" would be a contradiction in your mind. lol.gif

Right, because humans are obviously unnatural... /s

• Reply 67 of 89
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

Another android doorstop.

• Reply 68 of 89
    therbotherbo Posts: 70member

I don't see how this is anything new. Outside of the US, company's sell the exact same phone and exact same name on all networks. Its just due to the US's fragmentation that this never happened in the US, and un-surprisingly Samsung has had to make 4 variants for the US, yet they have 1 version for the ROW.

• Reply 69 of 89
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

What parts did you think were false?

• Reply 70 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

What parts did you think were false?

The second you talk about "true multitasking", something is wrong somewhere. image

"Background processes" is a lie. And I don't recall when voice commands came to Android, care to remind me?

• Reply 71 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The second you talk about "true multitasking", something is wrong somewhere. image

"Background processes" is a lie. And I don't recall when voice commands came to Android, care to remind me?

Ok, I understand Android simply suspends the app similar to the way iOS does.

Looks like it does have voice commands http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/

• Reply 72 of 89
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Ok, I understand Android simply suspends the app similar to the way iOS does.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic... Anyway, here's a link suggesting that Android does multitasking differently from iOS:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/112013-how-multitasking-works-on-android-and-ios

• Reply 73 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic... Anyway, here's a link suggesting that Android does multitasking differently from iOS:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/112013-how-multitasking-works-on-android-and-ios

Wasn't being sarcastic at all, just the way I read it from this http://www.pcworld.com/article/194350/apple_iphone_vs_android_multitasking_a_comparison.html

Seems fairly similar in approach.

• Reply 74 of 89
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member

Quote:

Wasn't being sarcastic at all, just the way I read it from this http://www.pcworld.com/article/194350/apple_iphone_vs_android_multitasking_a_comparison.html

Seems fairly similar in approach.

Well it isn't. Your link is from 2010, maybe that's why you'd reach this conclusion.

Background tasks in Android aren't necessarily suspended, they continue using CPU cycles as needed. There are also Services, which, once started, display an icon in the status bar and run all the time (GrooVe IP is one such app that I use constantly).

• Reply 75 of 89
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post And I don't recall when voice commands came to Android, care to remind me?

August of 2010...

http://phandroid.com/2010/08/12/google-launches-voice-actions-for-android/

• Reply 76 of 89
    gatorguy wrote: »

When did voice commands come to iOS?
  • Reply 77 of 89

Quote:

When did voice commands come to iOS?

2009 or earlier. I can't remember which iPhone they came on. Remember the simple commands? That blue screen with the examples flying back and forth?

It was based on the stuff that had come on the 3rd gen iPod shuffle (or maybe the other way around).

• Reply 78 of 89

Android has always had some services that could be accessed by voice. 

• Reply 79 of 89
    2009 or earlier. I can't remember which iPhone they came on. Remember the simple commands? That blue screen with the examples flying back and forth?

It was based on the stuff that had come on the 3rd gen iPod shuffle (or maybe the other way around).
    I do. I use them excessively on my iPhone 4. I think it was iOS 3 that got them.

gatorguy wrote: »
    Android has always had some services that could be accessed by voice. 
    Android also had some level of copy/cut/paste before the iPhone but it was mediocre and is still mediocre compared to what did out of the gate. Being a "me first" feature isn't as important as being a well done and complete feature. Being able to check off a rudimentary spec sheet item means nothing if the feature isn't implemented well.
  • Reply 80 of 89

Quote:

Being a "me first" feature isn't as important as being a well done and complete feature. Being able to check off a rudimentary spec sheet item means nothing if the feature isn't implemented well.

I completely agree.