OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion hits the Mac App Store in July for $19.99

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The next major update to OS X, known as Mountain Lion, will become publicly available for $19.99 on the Mac App Store in July, Apple announced on Monday.

Developers will be provided on Monday with what Apple said is a near-final preview build of OS X 10.8. New features and details about Mountain Lion were revealed at the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote in San Francisco.

In addition, users who buy a new Mac between now and when Mountain Lion goes on sale will receive a free upgrade to the latest version of the operating system when it hits in July.

Apple highlighted on Monday the closer integration that OS X Mountain Lion will have with iCloud. For instance, the Notes and Reminders application will sync with the cloud-based service to allow access from anywhere with an Internet connection. The company also revealed that OS X 10.8 will get the voice dictation service, though it won't get the full Siri voice assistant yet.

Another new feature in Mountain Lion unveiled by Apple on Monday is Power Nap. Macs in Power Nap mode will stay up to date while operating in a power-efficient capacity. It is compatible with the second-generation MacBook Air and the next-generation Retina Display-equipped MacBook Pro.

Mountain Lion

As promised, Apple released the fourth Developer Preview for Mountain Lion on Tuesday. Though the release is close to being finalized, people familiar with Apple's documentation for the release reported that known issues that remain in the software include trouble entering a Wi-Fi password, an incorrectly-displayed login window for some systems with FileVault enabled and problems with some AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards. The OS X version of Game Center also still has several known issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    huntsonhuntson Posts: 90member

What will the server version have?

• Reply 2 of 33
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Even cheaper than Lion. Impressive.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntson View Post

What will the server version have?

Even more people that hate it for no reason.

• Reply 4 of 33
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Simple question: will this syncing across devices work for any document and all appa? E.g. wil it sync Word documents between different Macs? Or will it only work for Apple apps like Pages?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    mac64mac64 Posts: 13member

Has anyone tried running the dev previews on older hardware line GMA950's?

• Reply 6 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac64 View Post

Has anyone tried running the dev previews on older hardware line GMA950's?

The previews work on the computers on which it says they work. It can't work anywhere else.

• Reply 7 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Even cheaper than Lion. Impressive.

Think about Xs history... each version goes through over a dozen iterations. All they are doing is drastically shortening that cycle and getting users to pay up 9 months after Lion's release. They aren't marketing it that way, but it's starting to sound like a subscription kind of model, whereby you pay some money regularly. 9 figure paychecks for the execs!

• Reply 8 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClassicGuy View Post

Think about Xs history... each version goes through over a dozen iterations. All they are doing is drastically shortening that cycle and getting users to pay up 9 months after Lion's release. They aren't marketing it that way, but it's starting to sound like a subscription kind of model, whereby you pay some money regularly. 9 figure paychecks for the execs!

Yes. We're certainly forced to buy this software.

• Reply 9 of 33
    gctwnl wrote: »
    Simple question: will this syncing across devices work for any document and all appa? E.g. wil it sync Word documents between different Macs? Or will it only work for Apple apps like Pages?
    I think that you will be able to save any file into the cloud, and access it from any other device (as long as it knows how to read that file type). I only say that because they are integrating the iCloud document store into the Save Dialog.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    As an additional piece of information to help, this comes from MacWorld:

[QUOTE]
    OS X Lion already integrates with Apple’s iCloud service, but Mountain Lion is taking that integration a step further with Documents in the Cloud. The February demo briefly touched on this feature, showing off integration in Preview; at the keynote, Federighi announced that its cloud data service will now be integrated with other Apple apps (including the iWork suite).

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/167509/width/600/height/454][IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/image/id/167509/width/600/height/454[/IMG][/URL]

Developers will be able to enable iCloud integration in their own programs (though presumably only those that have been sandboxed) by using a software development kit. Federighi also briefly demonstrated iCloud syncing for Reminders, Notes, and Messages.
    [/QUOTE]
  • Reply 11 of 33
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Even more people that hate it for no reason.

He is just asking a valid question.

• Reply 12 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

He is just asking a valid question.

And I'm giving a valid, if lighthearted, response. Hopefully 10.8 Server will placate many of the people who had problems with Lion Server.

• Reply 13 of 33
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. We're certainly forced to buy this software.

I don't mind the $20 price tag, it is certainly a LOT cheaper than Microsoft's model which is a LOT more.  The only thing I think they should do is to give AppleCare users FREE updates during the AppleCare 3 year period.  That would give people and incentive to buy AppleCare.

• Reply 14 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I don't mind the $20 price tag, it is certainly a LOT cheaper than Microsoft's model which is a LOT more.  The only thing I think they should do is to give AppleCare users FREE updates during the AppleCare 3 year period.  That would give people and incentive to buy AppleCare.

Huh. That's… 

No, that'd never happen. Interesting idea, but Apple has no intention of supporting devices that are more than a year old anymore.

• Reply 15 of 33
    netimoonnetimoon Posts: 41member

Quote:

Disagree.

1) It's a year cycle, not 9 months cycle. (Lion was out July, 2011)

2) Do the math. $19.99 x 10 years = $199.9 not a big money.

3) Lion is still great. You don't have to upgrade if you are happy with Lion.

4) It is not subscription because it does no expire. Even if you don't buy Mountain Lion, your Lion will still growl.

• Reply 16 of 33
    netimoonnetimoon Posts: 41member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

If Microsoft updates their Office suite to support iCloud, yes you can use it like what Apple showed today with iWork.

In fact, ANY apps can use the benefit if iCloud, if the developers update their apps to support it.

• Reply 17 of 33
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

$20 is awesome.  I thought Snow Leopard and Lion were flukes at only $29 each.  But perhaps mac sales have jumped so much over the years that their pricing model now allows them to charge as little as $20 because they sell so many more of them.  

My MBP was only bought in November of 2011 and I'll likely get ML when it comes out.

• Reply 18 of 33
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

What a foolish comment.  OSX used to cost $129, though I suspect you're not old enough to remember that.

10.1 (Puma) cost $129.

11 months later, Jaguar was released, costing $129.

14 months later, Panther was released, costing $129.

Furthermore: Lion was released in JULY, 2011.  July 2011 to July 2012 isn't 9 months.

$20 for an upgrade like that?  It's a bargain.

P.S.  You don't have to pay for the upgrade if you don't want to.  Lion will continue to function after Mountain Lion is released.  Your Mac won't explode if you don't upgrade, nor will you die.

• Reply 19 of 33
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

$20 is awesome.  I thought Snow Leopard and Lion were flukes at only $29 each.  But perhaps mac sales have jumped so much over the years that their pricing model now allows them to charge as little as $20 because they sell so many more of them.  

I guess it's a balance between making money from upgrades and the desirability of having a high proportion of users on the latest OS. The more users you have on newer versions, the better you can integrate those users into the Apple ecosystem (iCloud, Mac App Store, etc.), and hence convince them to buy additional Apple products and services. 

I think $20 is pitched pretty well for most Mac users.

• Reply 20 of 33
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

The Engadget blog also mentioned that anyone running Snow Leopard that is supported by ML can buy ML and upgrade directly, skipping Lion.  Not too shabby.  Save $30 and get current on your OS.