Apple announces iOS 6 with Siri enhancements, Facebook integration

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    Really? I was really surprised that iOS 6 will support back to iPhone 3GS.What are you disappointed by, lack of first-gen iPad support? 

The 3GS may be old now but it is a currently shipping product - the first iPad isn't. iOS 6 is available on all currently shipping iOS devices which is pretty much how this always works.

I'm expecting the 3GS to get dropped when the new iPhone comes out in September / October and the 4 and 4S to slip down into the roles currently occupied by the 3GS and the 4 so then next year the 4 will get iOS 7 and the 3GS won't.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Well, I think Siri learning sports is going to be worth the upgrade for me.  After initially thinking Siri was a pile of crap (it couldn't understand a word I said), it has clearly been refined over the months, and it understands a fair amount I say now, but the problem has been, the thing I most often want to ask (typically when I'm driving) is the Giants and Sharks scores.  Once it gets that, and now that it understands me, I actually think it will be a pretty cool feature.

The Facebook integration I wish you could turn off so you don't ever see it.  Call me a Luddite, but I hate the fact that Twitter and Facebook seem to be taking over the world, and since I don't have an account with either, I'd rather not even see the "Tweet" button in the Photo app.  I know I can ignore it, but damn it, I don't want to even see it!

The new Maps looks interesting.  Will be keen to try it out, though if there is no Street View, it'll be hard to move away from Google Maps completely.

• Reply 63 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

What iOS devices do you use regularly or have you used regularly?

No, no. That's not how this works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

The 3GS may be old now but it is a currently shipping product - the first iPad isn't. iOS 6 is available on all currently shipping iOS devices which is pretty much how this always works.

I still don't understand the logic here. If the 3GS is discontinued when the next iPhone comes out, it won't be a "currently shipping product", hence it has no excuse for getting iOS 6. Therefore we can assume it won't be discontinued. But then that demands it also gets iOS 7, as someone could have bought an iPhone 3GS the day before the iPhone 7 launch, when it is 4 years and three months old, have it be a brand new phone, and then he'd go home and whine about how it doesn't get iOS 7.

It's a complete travesty that a two year old device doesn't get an update but a three year old device does.

• Reply 64 of 83
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's a complete travesty that a two year old device doesn't get an update but a three year old device does.

A complete travesty is what's happening in Syria at the moment.

What software runs or does not run on a mobile phone is an irritation at most.

• Reply 65 of 83
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Yea I totally agree about Facebook and Twitter, I find the two mediums to be very destructive to normal human communication and WILL be devastating to the human psyche after long exposure. More and more people are shutting themselves off, my husband and I have banned it from our house and from our children's computers and mobiles. However we have also banned the use of the Apple Store do to the kids spending their entire allowances on iTune gift cards, we got them each a Spotify account instead. My daughter however, like every child in her school have all Jail Broken their devices and are now sharing apps/music/movies, so if there are any parents out there be wary of that, our kids are bigger hackers then we were.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member

I still don't understand the logic here. If the 3GS is discontinued when the next iPhone comes out, it won't be a "currently shipping product", hence it has no excuse for getting iOS 6. Therefore we can assume it won't be discontinued. But then that demands it also gets iOS 7, as someone could have bought an iPhone 3GS the day before the iPhone 7 launch, when it is 4 years and three months old, have it be a brand new phone, and then he'd go home and whine about how it doesn't get iOS 7.

Hey if you want to keep it a secret then by all means carry on. From other posts I believe iPhone 4 and Original iPad are on that list, and I suspect all iPhones.

But back to these updates, what other manufacturers are you referring to that give free OS updates to 2 years old and older devices?

I don't know the reason for not including the iPad in iOS 6, but that doesn't mean it was arbitrary or a travesty, at least IMO. It's not like the machine ceases to function. I'm not shedding any tears, I think people who bought an original iPad have gotten more than their money worth.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member

Also, your comparison isn't quite apples to apples. How long has it been since apple stopped selling and producing the original iPad? As soon as the iPad 2 was available. By the time iOS 6 releases, it will have been 18 months since apple stopped MAKING them, not at all comparable to if apple discontinued the 3GS the day they release the new iPhone later this year.
  • Reply 68 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

A complete travesty is what's happening in Syria at the moment.

What software runs or does not run on a mobile phone is an irritation at most.

You can be outraged about more than one thing at once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

However we have also banned the use of the Apple Store do to the kids spending their entire allowances on iTune gift cards…

The point of an allowance is to teach children the value of money, not to dictate and ban on what that money must be spent like some communist society. If they want to spend it all on iTunes, let them. When something else they want comes around, they don't get it because they don't have any money, and they learn where best to spend it. That's my take, anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Also, your comparison isn't quite apples to apples. How long has it been since apple stopped selling and producing the original iPad? As soon as the iPad 2 was available. By the time iOS 6 releases, it will have been 18 months since apple stopped MAKING them, not at all comparable to if apple discontinued the 3GS the day they release the new iPhone later this year.

So let's assume that by Mountain Lion's release, the new Mac Mini and iMac are also released. By your logic, it's perfectly fine for Apple not to make Mountain Lion compatible with the current iMac and Mac Mini because they "weren't for sale when the software came out". See the problem? There has to be a uniform dividing line for this sort of thing.

• Reply 69 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz001.png

• Reply 70 of 83
    LL

I wonder what will happen when Apple goes to a 16.9 format for their phones. Will all of you who said that 5.4 was the most logical and best way to go not buy one or concede that you where wrong. Hhmmm, we will have to wait and see as I saved all of the responses from those who said it will never happen, it's useless, Apple knows best, blah, blah. This is going to be great of course it's like everything else once Apple does it, it's the next best thing since slice bread and all prior statements are thus void.
  • Reply 71 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz001.png

Feynman just pointed out something similar. The keynote screen seems to be stretched, is all. The phones don't match up with the parts we've seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Will all of you who said that 5.4 was the most logical and best way to go not buy one or concede that you where wrong.

No. And it's 3:2. I don't think that 16:9 is good for anything but video. Being on a phone won't change that. I appreciate their attempt at making a larger screen that doesn't result in a wider phone, but 16:9 is a terrible end.

• Reply 72 of 83

Watching the video of the presentation I was amazed how underwhelmed the audience was when Scott Forstall demoed the sports scores and such.  This was huge from a commercial point of view.  The lack of Siri to do these sorts of things is what makes most of the non nerd public go "so what."  Quick easy access to this sort of low brow information is going to drive huge use of Siri and iOS sales.  The fact that Apple clearly is driving to constantly add more functionality and easy access to more types of information is huge for the future of the platform.  I am now convinced that Apple is on the right track now with Siri, whereas before I wasn't because it seemed to be over the head of too many people.  I still don't have an iPhone with Siri and I am waiting for the next iteration.  This new functionality will make the wait all the better.

• Reply 73 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I understand it completely. I rip all of my CD's at VBR, so there won't be a higher quality on the server.  All of my songs, purchased off iTunes or ripped from CD's are available through Google Music to all my other iDevices (2 iPhones and an iPad 2) and PC's.  Additionally, they are available through iTunes Home Sharing.

I'll also add that I don't have a library of 10,000 songs. We're probably at 10% of that, which is more music than we can listen to.

But you have to upload them all which takes hours/days of screwing around -- Mac/iOS users let the computers work for us!

• Reply 74 of 83
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member

Even though we all know it is coming the "new iPhone" doesn't officially exist yet, hence zero mention of it in the keynote. Jjust like the iOS 5 announcement last year supported "current models (and one back) only" with no mention of the 4S.

The 3GS is a currently shipping device at the time of the IOS 6 announcement which means I can go out and buy one now with iOS 5 on it and so should reasonably expect to be able to upgrade my 3 month old phone to iOS 6 which it comes out..

The original iPad hasn't been available to buy for nearly 15 months and has already seen two major iOS updates in its lifetime - I vaguely remember Apple mentioning something about this at some point around the 3GS release but I could be wrong - having shipped with iPhoneOS 3 and then being updated to iOS 4 and 5.

As I see it the 3GS is an exception due to having been kept alive as a current product much longer than you would normally expect from Apple in order to give them a foothold in the "budget" end of the market.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Yea I totally agree about Facebook and Twitter, I find the two mediums to be very destructive to normal human communication and WILL be devastating to the human psyche after long exposure. More and more people are shutting themselves off, my husband and I have banned it from our house and from our children's computers and mobiles. However we have also banned the use of the Apple Store do to the kids spending their entire allowances on iTune gift cards, we got them each a Spotify account instead. My daughter however, like every child in her school have all Jail Broken their devices and are now sharing apps/music/movies, so if there are any parents out there be wary of that, our kids are bigger hackers then we were.

Gee, you sound like a really poor parent -- if you entrust the educetion of your children to the carnival barkers out there...

My daughter and I control what our kids buy on the Apple store -- it requires an [adult] account with a credit card!

It is so easy to blame technology for your incompetence as a parent -- because technology cannot defend itself...

Fortunately, some of us have learned to control technology... as well as what is appropriate for our children.

• Reply 76 of 83
    Still no video conference for Facetime??? Really? I was hoping that this would be on iOS 6. Video conference on iPad is a reasonable requirement rather than the iPhone because of the bigger screen capable of showing multiple preview video panes. Also, when PhotoBooth was released on iPad 2, Apple boasted that their graphic processor is powerful enough to handle 9 different video streams at the same time. SO WHY NO FACETIME VIDEO CONFERENCE YET?
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Gee, you sound like a really poor parent -- if you entrust the educetion of your children to the carnival barkers out there...

My daughter and I control what our kids buy on the Apple store -- it requires an [adult] account with a credit card!

It is so easy to blame technology for your incompetence as a parent -- because technology cannot defend itself...

Fortunately, some of us have learned to control technology... as well as what is appropriate for our children.

Well you are lucky not to have tech savy children that can get around around any parental control, Jail Break there phones, add custom software, they also don't need a credit card when they are buying iTunes gift cards from the Grocery Stores. There are now clubs at school where they get together and share apps, music, TV Shows, Movies, ect. My son now has a Nokia 800 because he likes the Xbox Chat so he's no longer a problem. A teenage girl, who knows how to compile a Linux Kernel is a different game all together.
  • Reply 78 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

The 3GS is a currently shipping device… 

"Currently shipping" is a crap argument, as my post explained.

Quote:

Originally Posted by appletouches View Post

Apple boasted that their graphic processor is powerful enough to handle 9 different video streams at the same time. SO WHY NO FACETIME VIDEO CONFERENCE YET?

So your Internet connection is powerful enough to handle nine different HD video downloads at once? Didn't think so.

Hopeful-frigging-ly Messages and FaceTime combine in the 10.8 GM, but that's not going to happen.

• Reply 79 of 83
    Feynman just pointed out something similar. The keynote screen seems to be stretched, is all. The phones don't match up with the parts we've seen.

No. And it's 3:2. I don't think that 16:9 is good for anything but video. Being on a phone won't change that. I appreciate their attempt at making a larger screen that doesn't result in a wider phone, but 16:9 is a terrible end.

So then is that it, will you stop buying the iPhone then? That's actually my real question and when the iPhone does go to that aspect ratio do you think it will only be a matter of time till the iPad does?
  • Reply 80 of 83

Quote:

So then is that it, will you stop buying the iPhone then?

Probably. Can't say until I use it specifically, but I abhor the idea of 16:9.

Quote:

…do you think it will only be a matter of time till the iPad does?

Nope. You've seen those tablets; they're unusable.

And Apple THANKFULLY still cares about 16:10, so the plague of 16:9 is by no means all-encompassing.