Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display

Comments

• Reply 181 of 254
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member

Only thing to wish for is better graphics.... sadly won't happen at 85 watts :(

I bet if you crammed 7970m or 680m (don't know which has less power use)  It could run games at that resolution.

Of course, the computer is made for more than gaming ^^

very nice... now i wish i had 2400 to spend (after tax prices :S)

:(

Great update :D

• Reply 182 of 254
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Mann View Post

Apple closed at 571.17 a drop of 9.15 on a major product launch day......... hmmmn

Nothing new here.  Expectations are always ridiculous at Apple Keynotes - the updates get denounced as no big deal, or lacking this feature or that (and in this case "Where's that TV they promised" (NOT) - and then Apple sells a ton of new product.....  ...SSDD (which is not the same as SSD, btw....)

Also for those wondering where the iMac refresh is - I wouldn't worry.  Sometime around Mountain Lion's release I would wager.  

The Pro "update" was certainly underwhelming, though, kind of like damning with faint praise.  A newer gen Xeon is out (tho' I'm no expert on that aspect).  And where's TB??  I mean who's a more likely customer for the emerging but still spendy set of TB peripherals??  And so is it the last (TB-less) hurrah, or is the line being kept alive for a real refresh??  It's one thing (i.e., great marketing abetted by huge amounts of free press coverage) to tease and whet the appetite for the mass market devices, but another to keep pros - who have to do strategic planning sometimes years in advance - in the dark.

• Reply 183 of 254

I bought one custom and got my confirmation more than two hours ago. Super excited. Won't arrive for 10-14 days. My first Mac!

• Reply 184 of 254
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Further proof that Apple is so ahead of the consumer tech game (from what we've seen in this keynote especially) that people STILL don't understand Apple's display technologies. And that's just ONE piece of the Apple ecosystem puzzle. 

Apple just dropped a bomb on the entire PC industry - and not just with Retina displays, rendering most current non-Apple notebook offerings into pure junk. You can bet every cpu cycle in your Dell that after this keynote, the competition is running back to their laughable R&D departments in absolute panic. 

Get with the program. 

Get with the reality...

• Reply 185 of 254
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    Ethernet would be nice, though - I've been in a number of hotels (couple of Hiltons included) in Australia, Europe and US... with only wired Internet in rooms. This can be sorted with cheap USB-to-Ethernet adapter, though, so not a major.

A USB-to-GbE adapter on Monoprice is $19 which I find surprisingly high. On top of that it says USB2.0 so I don't know how they can offer GbE.

For the price I'd think I'd pay the extra $10 for Apple's TB-to-GbE adapter. I know it'll be faster, I know it'll work with OS X, and there are only USB ports. That last item I would like to rant about! I don't want an HDMI out port (the 3rd video out port on those MBPs) if it comes at the expense of USB. It does lead me to believe that TB will be more heavily used... like in upcoming iDevices.

edit: Monoprice also has an adapter for only $7 sans shipping: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=6150&seq=1&format=2
  • Reply 186 of 254
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

So it's a nice looking machine that will appeal to many, but there are some serious shortcomings.

Pro:

Awesome new display

Powerful new GPU

Latest CPU

Fast SSD

USB 3.0

Con:

RAM soldered - no upgrades ever, forced to pay inflated Apple prices for an inexpensive commodity item

SSD soldered - no upgrades ever, expensive to replace if it fails, locked into Apple as your sole supplier

Ethernet dongle - one more silly little adapter to lose, not corporate friendly, 802.11n is painfully slow when trying to cope with 80 devices.

Need to carry an external drive if your storage needs exceed SSD capacity

As for not offering any kind of 17" display (Air, Pro, retina Pro)...

In order to work efficiently I need enough physical screen size to display my work at a size I can read. There is a text size below which my eyes simply cannot read. It doesn't matter whether the display has 110ppi, 220ppi or 22,000ppi.

• Reply 187 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffjumper68 View Post

This is really just a nice 15 inch air, not a lot of storage space.

Well, you can get it with up to 768GB of SSD storage. Price is probably out of this world, but for pros who actually make money using their tech... shouldn't be a problem.

• Reply 188 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A USB-to-GbE adapter on Monoprice is $19 which I find surprisingly high. On top of that it says USB2.0 so I don't know how they can offer GbE.

For the price I'd think I'd pay the extra $10 for Apple's TB-to-GbE adapter. I know it'll be faster, I know it'll work with OS X, and there are only USB ports. That last item I would like to rant about! I don't want an HDMI out port (the 3rd video out port on those MBPs) if it comes at the expense of USB. It does lead me to believe that TB will be more heavily used... like in upcoming iDevices.

edit: Monoprice also has an adapter for only $7 sans shipping: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=6150&seq=1&format=2

No argue here - I just didn't bother checking if TB-to-Ethernet is available, since I knew USB-to-Ethernet is. But in general, I wouldn't have a problem to put up to $50 in decent external Ethernet, as long as it is reliable.

3rd USB would be sweet, though. Having, say, iPhone USB cable and mouse plugged (or external HDD, USB headset... whatever) and you are quickly out of USB ports. Of course, there are USB hubs, but still. Such a sweet unit doesn't deserve ugly dongles hanging all around it :)

• Reply 189 of 254
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

I can't think of a single reason why I would need a retina display on a laptop other than to show off. Many of my colleagues already think Apple kit is just for posers.

I would like to upgrade my current 17" MBP but I don't want to go down to a 15" screen. Thanks for nothing Apple.

• Reply 190 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

8 GBs of RAM is not gimped. That's more than enough for the vast range of computer uses people will need this thing for. 16 GBs is $200 more (actually relatively reasonable) for those who will need more (or who anticipate needing more). Not a huge fan of soldering them in (if that's the case), but an intelligent purchase should handle that well enough. 256 GBs of storage isn't super delightful but it will work for many people depending on their requirements, though that's something I imagine more people will want to upgrade. In any case, it is not worth insulting someone over, and it also doesn't excuse someone from saying that a $2200 laptop is a $3000 laptop (also noting that the 512 GB option is $2800).

8GB is gimped because  its soldered on, if it was upgradable it would have been pretty cool, same goes with the 200GB SSD

• Reply 191 of 254
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcLevy View Post

I bought one custom and got my confirmation more than two hours ago. Super excited. Won't arrive for 10-14 days. My first Mac!

Very nice :)

Welcome to the dark side.

• Reply 192 of 254
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    No OS X, no Apple ecosystem, NO SALE. 

You still don't get it. 

You still don't get that os x and it's Eco system are nothing to write home about anymore, get a clue on where the completion is currently. As someone else said apple can't be offering a pro machine with 256gb storage circa whitebook 2006 and have you tag along an external (as well as that ethernet dongle, they can't solder the ram just because they want you to buy only from them. Apple cannot really think their pro users will only require 256gb of storage now can they? It's like the 16gbs iPads they sell, a joke for the storage the average usage of the device requires. Only in apple la la land would a pro machine sell for $2000 and have 256gbs of storage.

There's no advantage whatsoever for ommiting the hard drive, it's what should have been there since the optical is gone. The only "advantage" is that they ll make tons of cash off of selling the extra ssd storage option to you

To os x users such as myself who aren't there because of the Eco system but because they have gotten used to what used to be a great os this is here blackmail. And at the moment 8gb ram what with the way they ve not been doing their work in os x is the absolute minimum for a mac for a pro user, I have a mini at 4gbs and it's the worst kind of dog, and I don't push it at all hard with my usage.

If anyone cuts through all the bs marketing crap this is an overpriced computer with serious limitations in terms of storage and serious limitations in terms of upgrading or replacing a problematic ram module, that's just thinner and has a high dpi panel. This thing only about the screen, in very other respect it's a compromise.
  • Reply 193 of 254
    nick5nick5 Posts: 5member

I just ordered mine,  been waiting for this one.

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz

16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

768GB Flash Storage

should take 15 days to get, and then Mt. Lion.

• Reply 194 of 254
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

You still don't get that os x and it's Eco system are nothing to write home about anymore, get a clue on where the completion is currently.

Looking… looking… Windows 8. Your argument instantly invalidates itself.

Quote:

If anyone cuts through all the bs marketing crap this is an overpriced computer with serious limitations in terms of storage and serious limitations in terms of upgrading or replacing a problematic ram module, that's just thinner and has a high dpi panel. This thing only about the screen, in very other respect it's a compromise.

We'll have to wait three months, but I figure you'll be proven wrong, just as everyone who bets against Apple has been in the past.

• Reply 195 of 254
    vthreevthree Posts: 13member

Is it expensive?  Sure, but it is a PREMIUM labtop.  Not sure why people feel the price is unfair compare with the previous version.  A lot of people are comparing it with the iPad which they feel is 'fair' (retina for same prices).  But let's look this more in depth

iPad2 vs new iPad (same price point)

CPU - same

GPU - upgrade

RAM - upgrade

display - Retina

storage - same

battery - same

form factor - same

Macbook pro (late 2011) vs new Retina Macbook Pro

First, we have to remember we are going from hdd to ssd and the prices aren't comparable for them. So we will have to compare with the Macbook pro (late 2011) with the 256 ssd upgrade which I think was $1799+$600 ($200 more expensive!!!) from Apple.  Say you didn't go with the Apple BTO option, in late 2011, you probably could have added a similiar 256 SSD for $400 (total $2199).

CPU - upgrade

GPU - upgrade

RAM - upgrade

display - Retina

storage - same

battery - same

form factor - improved (but loses the DVD drive)

So in fact, the new Retina Macbook Pro is priced very competitively compare to the previous Macbook Pros with SSD.  Would I think it to be cheaper or more storage for the same price?  Sure.  The same way I would like BMWs to have the same prices as Honda.

• Reply 196 of 254
    strobe wrote: »
    At these prices I should probably be thankful they don't have a 17" model. Yikes. 

I don't get it; iPad gets retina display and more memory but the price doesn't change. SSD prices are plummeting and the new MacBook explodes in price. Maybe Apple is anticipating low volume. Maybe they don't care to make that much of an impact on the market beyond twitters. 

Until apps are upgraded to take advantage of the new display this is just a very, very expensive toy. 

The ways people can rationalise apple taking advantage of them, simply unbelievable. I have at least 20hbs of photos, about 50 gbs of work related PDF files, books, manuals, papers, about 50gbs pf music, and my apps run at another 40gbs at least. My job requires me to have a database of my past work and a third of it is 100gbs and I am not even a music or video professional, and I can't fit a thing to a super expensive notebook, not because there's any inherent problem of having a hard drive of 1tb in there. But because apple make their money off of overpriced ssd and they don't want to give me the extra space they saved without the optical and with sticking the ssd on the motherboard.

It's 2012 and they still won't even offer the option for a second hard drive instead of optical on the non retina MacBook pro...
  • Reply 197 of 254
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The ways people can rationalise apple taking advantage of them, simply unbelievable. I have at least 20hbs of photos, about 50 gbs of work related PDF files, books, manuals, papers, about 50gbs pf music, and my apps run at another 40gbs at least. My job requires me to have a database of my past work and a third of it is 100gbs and I am not even a music or video professional, and I can't fit a thing to a super expensive notebook, not because there's any inherent problem of having a hard drive of 1tb in there. But because apple make their money off of overpriced ssd and they don't want to give me the extra space they saved without the optical and with sticking the ssd on the motherboard.

It's 2012 and they still won't even offer the option for a second hard drive instead of optical on the non retina MacBook pro...

Seems that nothing Apple makes fits your bill. Best start looking elsewhere.

• Reply 198 of 254

I ordered mine today as soon as it was available. Bought the "base" version but it's quite sufficient for my needs. If you added up the new Retina Display, 256GB SSD, dual Thunderbolt ports and other improvements over the existing 15" MBP, it's actually a very fair deal. And my EPP discount paid for the sales tax. Will be delivered some time between 6/22 - 6/25. Checked the store later in the day and now shipping time is up to 2-3 weeks. 

• Reply 199 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems that nothing Apple makes fits your bill. Best start looking elsewhere.

Excuse me man, I am like come get my money for the retina mac with less glare, I 've been waiting for this as well as maybe new imacs for a few months.  Here we are now and I have to spent tons of money for 256gbs of storage for a device that's compromising my ram upgrades and solders the ram for no reason just to get the effing retina that costs them an extra $80-$100. Do you you think that should make me happy? That I ll have to suffer through white macbook storage levels from 5 years ago, that I ll have to carry an ethernet dongle and an external hard drive and if the on board motherboard memory goes bad I am chucking the whole thing out of the window, or paying even more money to apple for applecare which won't last me for more than 3 years anyway, and after that anything goes wrong with the ram it's goodbye to the whole thing. And all that for a very, very expensive pro notebook? In what warped reality are you guys living in which all that should make me a happy mac user? 

I ask everyone here in good faith to tell, if this had been apple from four or five years ago when they gave a crap for their users and they were not milking them for all they could taking advantage of their market position would they or wouldn't they have released a slimmer macbook pro with either an ssd and a hard drive or a hybrid with user upgradable ram, retina, just a hair thicker and priced it lower than what we have today (cause it would cost less). Why shouldn't I have this set up costing me $2000 with 16gbs of ram and instead I have to go to $4300 that is the mac plus applecare cause you really can't have soldered memory without coverage now can you? I don't gain any real advantage of having the less used files on an ssd too. I don't gain any real advantage from a milimeter of more thinness or from soldered ram. Apple on the other hand are having ludicrously high margins on this. 

• Reply 200 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vthree View Post

Is it expensive?  Sure, but it is a PREMIUM labtop.  Not sure why people feel the price is unfair compare with the previous version.  A lot of people are comparing it with the iPad which they feel is 'fair' (retina for same prices).  But let's look this more in depth

iPad2 vs new iPad (same price point)

CPU - same

GPU - upgrade

RAM - upgrade

display - Retina

storage - same

battery - same

form factor - same

Macbook pro (late 2011) vs new Retina Macbook Pro

First, we have to remember we are going from hdd to ssd and the prices aren't comparable for them. So we will have to compare with the Macbook pro (late 2011) with the 256 ssd upgrade which I think was $1799+$600 ($200 more expensive!!!) from Apple.  Say you didn't go with the Apple BTO option, in late 2011, you probably could have added a similiar 256 SSD for $400 (total $2199).

CPU - upgrade

GPU - upgrade

RAM - upgrade

display - Retina

storage - same

battery - same

form factor - improved (but loses the DVD drive)

So in fact, the new Retina Macbook Pro is priced very competitively compare to the previous Macbook Pros with SSD.  Would I think it to be cheaper or more storage for the same price?  Sure.  The same way I would like BMWs to have the same prices as Honda.

wrong the ipad has dboule the capacity in its new battery.