Apple releases AirPort Utility for new AirPort Express

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has released an AirPort Utility update that will enable the iOS app to control and configure the new dual-band AirPort Express that was launched on Monday.

The AirPort Utility moves to version 1.1 with support to configure and manage the AirPort Express that was announced on Monday at Apple's WWDC conference alongside a host of new products. Apple's new portable base station was the recipient of an overall redesign that resembles a white Apple TV and now sports dual-band connectivity as well as an extra ethernet port.

In addition to the support for the new hardware, the utility app also received the ability to manage base stations for IPv6.

The AirPort Utility update can be downloaded through the iOS App Store for free.

Airport Express

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

I wonder how much heat this new design gives off.

My current Airport Express (the bigger one) runs quite hot.

• Reply 2 of 14
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member

Considering it looks to be the same container as the Apple TV, it should handle heat well enough. Looks as though they just 'shopped in the white. The hand, etc is the same.Screen Shot 2012-06-12 at 1.59.00 AM.jpg

• Reply 3 of 14
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    8corewhore wrote: »
    Considering it looks to be the same container as the Apple TV, it should handle heat well enough. Looks as though they just 'shopped in the white. The hand, etc is the same.LL

right... i dont believe apple uses photoshop...LOL
  • Reply 4 of 14
    technotechno Posts: 737member

I am assuming that it does not have a built-in electrical prongs on the back. :(  Now I have to have yet another cord.

• Reply 5 of 14
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

My ISP supports dual stack IPv4/IPv6 and it works with other routers, but not the Airport, even though this update supposedly adds IPv6 support.

• Reply 6 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Ah, dual-band. The only way to fly. 802.11n 5ghz for everything except 802.11n 2.4ghz for iPhone and Xbox, etc.

• Reply 7 of 14
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member

It would be great if you could stream on both 2.4+5GHz in the way some newer 802.11n routers work. With 3x3 MIMO on both frequencies: 450Mbps+450Mbps=900Mbps. What would be even nicer if we had 802.11ac lying dormant in the new MBPs and this new Express station, or, sweeter even, upcoming AirPort Extreme and Time Capsules with 802.11ac support.

• Reply 8 of 14
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    haar wrote: »
    right... i dont believe apple uses photoshop...LOL

Yep and while I give high marks to the hand model for getting near identical finger placement if you look at the lower right palm area you will notice different creases.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yep and while I give high marks to the hand model for getting near identical finger placement if you look at the lower right palm area you will notice different creases.

No, they're the same.

• Reply 10 of 14
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    techno wrote: »
    I am assuming that it does not have a built-in electrical prongs on the back. :(  Now I have to have yet another cord.

I'm sure it does... Req a cord that is... Now if Apple supported POE like it once did a very LNG time ago ( I think ) that would be really awsome. Not that I'd hold my breath for it..
  • Reply 11 of 14
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 467member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

My ISP supports dual stack IPv4/IPv6 and it works with other routers, but not the Airport, even though this update supposedly adds IPv6 support.

How old is your Airport?  Only the most recent ones do real routing.  All the older models get by with 6to4 tunneling.

• Reply 12 of 14
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

I really wish that they would add the ability to add devices to the MAC list in the iOS version.  This is the only thing that I occasionally need to do that is missing....

• Reply 13 of 14
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

How old is your Airport?  Only the most recent ones do real routing.  All the older models get by with 6to4 tunneling.

It is 2 generations out of date, but the new Airport Utility does allow me to select Native, not just 6to4. I suspect the reason is that I am using the Airport's PPPoE server to log in to my DSL, and perhaps Apple's IPv6 stuff doesn't work in this situation (though, as I said, my other routers do).

• Reply 14 of 14
    momusmomus Posts: 54member

I was so glad when I discovered they still offered AirPort Util 5.x for download. Version 6 is awful.