Tim Cook confirms updated Mac Pro coming in 2013

Comments

• Reply 81 of 339
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

A leak is an unsanctioned. This came directly from Tim. Doesn't get more official.

That's exactly what he's talking about. Executives talking about future models before they're out. This is a first for Apple. Ever. 

I don't like it at all.

• Reply 82 of 339
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by otterfish View Post

This trickle of information really makes it difficult to recommend Apple's products to clients. They don't update the Mac Pro for two years and then give it a minor update. It's hardly a "Pro" product anymore. I gues they don't care about this stuff anymore: http://jeff-with-a-g.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/apples-high-order-bit.html

Some day someone stating that Apple is DOOMED will be correct.

That day isn't today.

But he's right...Apple doesn't care about servers anymore.  Microsoft does a FAR better job than Apple can.  As Tim states, they prefer to concentrate on areas where they can do better than the industry leader.  So I would expect, based on what Tim stated at D10, that they're going to make sure that OSX is the best enterprises CLIENT and not that OSX is the best enterprise server.

So that blog post was whine whine whine, blah blah blah, Apple is teh Doomed for the umpteenth time. 

• Reply 83 of 339
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

HEY TIM.............WHAT ABOUT A 17" MACBOOK PRO????

Maybe that will be there too. They didn't say the 17" was totally dead did they?   They might have a BIG announcement with the MacPro, iMac and whatever else they introduce. I just hope they pull out some stops on this next refresh.  They kind of need to at this point.

• Reply 84 of 339
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Some day someone stating that Apple is DOOMED will be correct.

That day isn't today.

But he's right...Apple doesn't care about servers anymore.  Microsoft does a FAR better job than Apple can.  As Tim states, they prefer to concentrate on areas where they can do better than the industry leader.  So I would expect, based on what Tim stated at D10, that they're going to make sure that OSX is the best enterprises CLIENT and not that OSX is the best enterprise server.

So that blog post was whine whine whine, blah blah blah, Apple is teh Doomed for the umpteenth time. 

Servers?  HP, Oracle/Sun, IBM and others do servers that DON'T have Windows on it, so a LOT of these servers are actually running, AIX, Solaris, HP UX, or Red Hat Linux, so Microsoft also gets hammered from at least 4 flavors of Unix on the Server side.  Microsoft is milking Windows, Office, some server software and XBox.

• Reply 85 of 339

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's exactly what he's talking about. Executives talking about future models before they're out. This is a first for Apple. Ever. 

I don't like it at all.

Why don't you like it?

• Reply 86 of 339
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Well this is going to be fun.

Fuelling an entire year of speculation and rumours. So much for 'doubling down on secrecy'.

Or not. After all Apple is a business and they run on a Fiscal Calendar so 2013 for them starts Oct 1, 2012. And he didn't say "a year from now" so they could have this new Mac Pro ready in Oct for all we know. 

• Reply 87 of 339

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post

There are some who believe Apple is "freezing the market" by making the announcement of new MPs and iMacs for next year. 

The iPad and iPhone have zero to do with this. 

They can do it because not everyone reads the blogs and will see this info. So they will buy when they need a computer period. 

Oh and he didn't say iMacs. just Pros. We could have new iMacs next week. that said I think if they come any time this summer it will be at the same time as Mountain Lion. and it will either be a basic spec bump on all or perhaps a spec bump on the 21 inch and basic 27 with the top line i7 being the kick ass slimmer, no ODD, retina display type model

• Reply 88 of 339
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why don't you like it?

For the common sense reasons Apple has never done this in the past: free press and actually selling products.

I'm going to say it, even though everyone'll just laugh and dismiss it: Osborne Effect.

That's what it is. I don't care how old the computers are already, I don't care how much money they make from iDevices. This is a bad idea.

• Reply 89 of 339

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Aperture and Final Cut received updates purely to promote the new retina MBP rather than to add new features.

Aperture got the new feature of the merged library option. Which is likely the only new feature it can get until Mountain Lion is released. We'll very likely seem a few more bits and pieces after that. Same with Final Cut, iLife and iWork

• Reply 90 of 339

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah, the [arguably] best multicam implementation out there running full bore on a laptop... And displaying a full 1080p video running in the upper right corner of the screen

I had not heard about that. Awesome. now give me that 30 inch Retina slim iMac so I can really rock the multi cam. 

• Reply 91 of 339
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The pc tower has fundamentally been unchanged since it came, like 25 years ago or so. Sure, different technologies has come and gone, but basically it's computing power and expansion that defines the pc tower, isn't it? I think Apple is feeling the urge and need to redefine what a professional work station will be in the future. Perhaps it's just a box full of processors that you can hook up to any mac to?
  • Reply 92 of 339

Quote:

For the common sense reasons Apple has never done this in the past: free press and actually selling products.

I'm going to say it, even though everyone'll just laugh and dismiss it: Osborne Effect.

That's what it is. I don't care how old the computers are already, I don't care how much money they make from iDevices. This is a bad idea.

I'd argue that Tim's admission will not have the Osborne Effect, for the simple reason that buyers already know that the current product is not new. If they were waiting for a "new" Mac Pro, they aren't going to buy the current Mac Pro anyway, regardless of what Tim says. I mean, what else should Tim say? "No, we will not rev the Mac Pro, ever again so if you intend to buy one, no time like the present"?

• Reply 93 of 339
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I didn't read through all the posts- but it's nice to see the email. What's even better is all the forum members making fun of the Facebook group when they started- and saying it was pointless. In the meantime, those same members who crap on someone who is actually trying to get his voice heard through some medium gets bashed by guys who never make an effort outside of a post on a forum (like me).
  • Reply 94 of 339
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

This is the Dell Copper, an ARM based server.  Maybe Apple is thinking along these lines, but with a big wad of A5s or the like.  

Okay, maybe not, but it would be interesting.

5807.Dell_2D00_Copper_5F00_577A282F.jpg

• Reply 95 of 339
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member

I imagine that Apple takes a little more time when developing the  HW & SW for the pro-user market, hence no comments in the public space and the longer wait for the new MacPro perhaps. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

• Reply 96 of 339
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Servers?  HP, Oracle/Sun, IBM and others do servers that DON'T have Windows on it, so a LOT of these servers are actually running, AIX, Solaris, HP UX, or Red Hat Linux, so Microsoft also gets hammered from at least 4 flavors of Unix on the Server side.  Microsoft is milking Windows, Office, some server software and XBox.

So what.  AIX and HPUX are essentially dead due to Linux.  Solaris is half dead.  And while linux and unix runs web servers and databases the enterprise runs on Exchange, Active Directory, Sharepoint and Win Server.

• Reply 97 of 339
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Osborne Effect.

I don't think that really applies in this case because the timeframe he mentioned was so far in the future. All it really did was restore people's normal assumption that it would eventually be updated, which they had begun to lose following Monday's speed bump/price cut.

Apple was possibly taken by surprise by the level of negative reaction and decided on an emergency fix, I doubt it's a new policy.

• Reply 98 of 339
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member

Whoa, this Cook guy is quite a tool.  He's pushing a laptop as a solution for pros who are waiting for a Mac Pro?  And boy, Apple is REALLY comitted to pro users, and they're working on a REALLY great pro desktop!  That's REALLY swell!

Apple REALLY stepped in it with this Mac Pro update.  REALLY!

• Reply 99 of 339
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    vidmaven wrote: »
    alright, since Nvidia graphics are back (in the MBP Retina Display), let's say that "insanely great" could include options for Quadro 5000 & 6000 (yes, means a beefier power supply) and how about a 4k Cinema Display (DP v1.2 supports 4k x 2k resolution) with HDMI and TOSlink out (for passing embedded 5.1/7.1 audio)?

Obviously, if we talk about 2013, the Ivy Bridge "tick+" has come and gone and the ensuing tock should be in full swing.  PCIe 3.0 mobos are plentiful, RAM that's faster than 1600MHz, etc.
    next would come the leapfrog bits: 12Gb/S SAS, SSD caching on the mobo, and rear-removable PSU (js, rackmount form factor is assumed)
    AT LEAST one additional x32 slot (the PCIe 3 equivalent of x16) for that expansion chassis, with total bandwidth exceeding 80 lanes, so those 3x Thunderbolt ports can coexist

then comes NIC - 10GbE should have come down, potentially allowing for a pair of NICs  (maybe optical implementation is an option…)

then, the piece de resistance: for years, the CPU modules in Mac Pro towers have been modular.  Let us start with a 16-core and swap in 2x 12-core procs when they become available!  The annual spend would actually increase, serviceability wouldn't be adversely affected - who knows, we might even keep parts on the shelf!

I'm not coming from IT - I'm coming from enabling and supporting creative types, who have, for 25 years and more, kept returning to Apple to pay the premium price, but have felt all but abandoned in a sea of iOS device frenzy. We like the little guys, but come on - that we can make a living making content that's just as likely to show up on Pirate Bay or DRM-less audio sites, as it is to be licensed for an ad or a film, is a testament to our tenacity.  Show us some love in the tools we rely on, and "insanely great" will continue to spring from Mac users, not just Mac makers.

Thanks for dropping the dime, Tim!  it's a breath of fresh air…

They're probably saving the complete redesign for "Haswell", Intel's next-generation 14nm "Tock". I was hoping for a Cinema/Thunderbolt Display (or iMac) with Retina-ish resolution, too, and both DP 1.2 and HDMI 1.4, along with even the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics all support at least 4Kx2K.

There are also quite a few Pro users that I've seen comment on waiting for the 14nm Haswell chip, but I do agree that this so-called upgrade to the Mac Pro was a joke, if not a slap in the face. In 2012, no USB 3.0, no Thunderbolt, no eSATA, no PCIe 3 or even SATA rev. 3.0 (6Gbps) support, which had arrived with Sandy Bridge a year and a half ago, is pretty lame, especially for your "Pro" line.

On the other hand, that's what happens when a mere 13% of your company gets its revenue from Macs, and a whopping 75% customers of those 13% are notebook users, it makes perfect sense to upgrade your MacBook line before anything else.
  • Reply 100 of 339
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

It depends on what you do with it. For a lot of things (like graphic design), you need a certain magnification. It's fine to get an entire page on a 15" screen (as opposed to a 17"), but it may be too small to design well. Of course a laptop isn't the best choice for graphic design, but for some people it fits their life (as a hobby, for instance).

For other things, it may depend more on your eyesight - what size type is comfortable, and if the smaller size creates strain. A 15" is fine for me for most things, but not with the higher resolution option that Apple offers - it makes the type too small to be comfortable..