Apple launches 0.71" thick next-generation MacBook Pro with 15" Retina display

Comments

• Reply 221 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

I can't believe all the whining that is going on here.  This thing is priced very, very aggressively for the technology in it, and while you can get more powerful machines for the same price, you can't get the same combo of 256 GB SSD, 16 gig ram, high-res screen, etc...

256GB SSD and 8GB ram not 16, that too all soldered in. 

• Reply 222 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple just dropped a bomb on the PC industry with these updates.

LOL thats like saying Aston Martin dropped a bomb on the Consumer Car industry by introducing the 2012 DB9

• Reply 223 of 254
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberoid View Post

Higher resolution without independent font control simply means more difficulty reading ever-smaller type.

Are you from the past? Are you saying that iPad 2 has smaller font than iPad 3?

LOL. You're funny.

• Reply 224 of 254
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

• Reply 225 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Mann View Post

256GB SSD and 8GB ram not 16, that too all soldered in. 

16 gig of ram is a 200 dollar upgrade on the 'base' MacBook Pro retina, so for 2499$ CDN you can have it.  An equivalent ThinkPad costs 2289$ CDN with a slightly better GPU but only 1080p screen, and smaller SSD capacity. 

• Reply 226 of 254
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Mann View Post

LOL thats like saying Aston Martin dropped a bomb on the Consumer Car industry by introducing the 2012 DB9

Yes, he lives in a alternate universe where only Apple exists and destroyed every other company on the planet.

• Reply 227 of 254
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I think your comment is spot on. The new retina-equipped MacBook Pro is gorgeous - Everyone wants one, but we balk at the price. 

No we don't balk at the price, we balk at the price when it's base configured with 256gb of storage and 8gbs soldered ram, we balk at the fact that apple drop the optical but won't include a hard drive, and we balk at the fact that apple via soldering memory on and tightly controlling storage via flash and maxing it out at 756gb (and that only if one pays and ridiculously large sum of cash) are turning a pro machine into an ipod, via controlling storage and memory which are the components they make all these high margins from. A pro machine these days shouldn't max out at 756gbs period, and the user should be able to upgrade the ram on their pro machine if they wish to in the future. 

Btw, is the storage a user replacable component or does it void the warranty? That's well worth asking now.

• Reply 228 of 254

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

No we don't balk at the price, we balk at the price when it's base configured with 256gb of storage and 8gbs soldered ram, we balk at the fact that apple drop the optical but won't include a hard drive, and we balk at the fact that apple via soldering memory on and tightly controlling storage via flash and maxing it out at 756gb (and that only if one pays and ridiculously large sum of cash) are turning a pro machine into an ipod, via controlling storage and memory which are the components they make all these high margins from. A pro machine these days shouldn't max out at 756gbs period, and the user should be able to upgrade the ram on their pro machine if they wish to in the future. 

Btw, is the storage a user replacable component or does it void the warranty? That's well worth asking now.

Just curious, but why does anyone need more than 256 GB of SSD space?  You can get an external drive as mass storage, leave it at home, no one needs more than 256 GB on the go...  Same goes for DVD drive - how often do you really use it?  I haven't used the DVD drive on my TOWER in years (I'm pretty sure it doesn't even work).

I personally disagree with some of the directions Apple is going (vendor lock-in), but the hardware on the new MacBook Pro is definitely a good direction.  All flash storage, no optical drives, high-res screen - these have been on my wishlist for a long, long time.  If I can get my favourite Linux distribution running properly on the retina display I'm 100% sold (right now just 90% sold)... 

• Reply 229 of 254
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Just curious, but why does anyone need more than 256 GB of SSD space?  You can get an external drive as mass storage, leave it at home, no one needs more than 256 GB on the go...  Same goes for DVD drive - how often do you really use it?  I haven't used the DVD drive on my TOWER in years (I'm pretty sure it doesn't even work).

I personally disagree with some of the directions Apple is going (vendor lock-in), but the hardware on the new MacBook Pro is definitely a good direction.  All flash storage, no optical drives, high-res screen - these have been on my wishlist for a long, long time.  If I can get my favourite Linux distribution running properly on the retina display I'm 100% sold (right now just 90% sold)... 

Programmers and photographers could easily go past 256GB of space and as this is a "Pro" machine they could be part of the target market.

• Reply 230 of 254
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member

SSD appears to be upgradeable. Only $200 to max out the ram and you can see on the internal view of the motherboard that apple is showing off that the SSD is easily removable.retinamacbook.jpeg

• Reply 231 of 254
    Does anyone know if the thunderbolt to FireWire 800 cable is included in the package? I need FireWire to operate my camera. Couldn't find it sold separately at the apple store...
  • Reply 232 of 254
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Does anyone know if the thunderbolt to FireWire 800 cable is included in the package? I need FireWire to operate my camera. Couldn't find it sold separately at the apple store…

No, it's not included. It doesn't exist yet. It'll be out in a month or so.
  • Reply 233 of 254
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    mikeb85 wrote: »

My breakdown is about 50gb of audio, music, podcasts, audio books.
    At least 20gbs for apps.
    I need to sync my idevices you know, i cannot rely on my iMac because many times I ll be on the go and I will need to take something on or off the device. Apple isn't making it easy to me to sync with more than one iTunes library. This would have been btw the real addition in ios 6 not effing Facebook, Siri and 3d maps...
    A database of about 100gbs for work that I refer to in case I need to see how I approached a problem before, or show to clients( that's just 1/5 of my full db)
    At least 20gb for os and apps.
    My library of work related journal articles and books, at least 30gbs
    I will have at least 3-4 hq movies in there at about 10gbs.

How much space do I think have left to offload a movie say I take on the idevices to the pro when on the go? How much space do I have left for pretty much anything else I d like to add in terms of music, journals, books and manuals PDFs, photos, etc. etc. Should I be offloading back and forth from an external. It's a damn pro for crying out load, people used to be able to have 1tb hard drives and were looking for the optical to go to add even more storage.

How many professional people will have much less than 100gb for their work portfolio, most will have much more, ESP. So media professionals and I am not one. I shudder to think being in the photos, music or video npbiz and having this amount of storage. I imagine raw media files in any of these can easily get you to 1tb without anything else on top.

A50 gbs for a music, audiobooks, podcasts, etc. line is also pretty normal these days.

Do you think this scenario isn't pretty modest?

Why' did people need more than 256gbs in white MacBooks circa 2007 or 2008? Every decision that apple takes has to be rationalised all the time that it's in favour of the user? how come? Ehetrnet gone have a dongle, storage not up to 2012 levels for most pros get an external, floppy not there (agreed with that, I wanted it to go to) get an external one.l.

This is clearly a desicion motivated by the fact that apple have huge margins on flash and they want to tightly control storage on the iPods, sorry MacBook pros. The drive isn't there because that would give people an alternative that wouldn't have them pay even more to apple at 50% margins. And you know what? Apple make some pretty good devices, but that's about it, maybe they should get along Witt the times at of everyone else in the biz has razor thin margins they shouldn't be expected to have 40 and 50% ones.

To me this MacBook pro is alone step forward, and one step back. It's one step back because apple expect people to be able to afford close to $4000 to get to a storage level at 756gbs that is what most pros in 2012 will find comfortable for their needs. And if not to go with external drives plus all sorts of really expensive dongles for Ethernet and/or FireWire to thunderbolt. By the time you buy these dongles, AppleCare (anyone want to do without what with the soldered ram?) and max memory and storage you are up to an inordinate amount of money....
  • Reply 234 of 254
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

(TB-FW800 adapter)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it's not included. It doesn't exist yet. It'll be out in a month or so.

I'm dying to see the pricing on that. Might well throw a spanner into Belkin's and Sonnet's plans to release ridiculously overpriced TB adapters.

.tsooJ

• Reply 235 of 254
    gyorpb wrote: »
    I'm dying to see the pricing on that.

I'd imagine $29, just like the gigabit Ethernet one.

Maybe this'll be the start of Apple accessories being the cheapest, for once. There's no excuse for this nonsense we're seeing in Thunderbolt accessory prices.
  • Reply 236 of 254
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd imagine $29, just like the gigabit Ethernet one.

Maybe this'll be the start of Apple accessories being the cheapest, for once. There's no excuse for this nonsense we're seeing in Thunderbolt accessory prices.

Actually the Apple HDMI-HDMI cable is one of the cheapest out there compared to retail shop unicorn-horn HDMI cables.

• Reply 237 of 254
    nvidia2008 wrote: »
    Actually the Apple HDMI-HDMI cable is one of the cheapest out there compared to retail shop unicorn-horn HDMI cables.

Oh, well, yeah if you're comparing against Monster trash.

Monoprice, though, blows anything by Apple away. No Thunderbolt stuff yet, though.
  • Reply 238 of 254
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member

Quote:

This is clearly a desicion motivated by the fact that apple have huge margins on flash and they want to tightly control storage on the iPods, sorry MacBook pros. The drive isn't there because that would give people an alternative that wouldn't have them pay even more to apple at 50% margins. And you know what? Apple make some pretty good devices, but that's about it, maybe they should get along Witt the times at of everyone else in the biz has razor thin margins they shouldn't be expected to have 40 and 50% ones.

To me this MacBook pro is alone step forward, and one step back. It's one step back because apple expect people to be able to afford close to $4000 to get to a storage level at 756gbs that is what most pros in 2012 will find comfortable for their needs. And if not to go with external drives plus all sorts of really expensive dongles for Ethernet and/or FireWire to thunderbolt. By the time you buy these dongles, AppleCare (anyone want to do without what with the soldered ram?) and max memory and storage you are up to an inordinate amount of money....

Yes Apple is definitely tasting some delectable margins, but two things...

The speed of the SSD that you get from Apple is top notch (especially the controller).

Second, the compatibility with OS X is also tighter.

I have my own simple SSD I upgraded myself, and while it is fine and snappy, the MBP retina getting 300MB/s and 400MB/s plus in Blackmagic benches is very impressive. Also a lot of third party SSDs work with OS X, some don't. 

Just some points, curious as to what you think.

• Reply 239 of 254
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Apple make some pretty good devices, but that's about it, maybe they should get along Witt the times at of everyone else in the biz has razor thin margins they shouldn't be expected to have 40 and 50% ones.

And why not? They're making tons of money and their market share is ever growing, so they must be doing something right.

If you don't find their product worth the asking price, don't buy it. If enough people agree with you, they will adjust the price or go out of business. But it looks like it'll just be you (and a few others) whining that all that Apple goodness should be available at lower prices; generally, they sell really well.

.tsooJ

• Reply 240 of 254
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

My breakdown is about 50gb of audio, music, podcasts, audio books.

At least 20gbs for apps.

I need to sync my idevices you know, i cannot rely on my iMac because many times I ll be on the go and I will need to take something on or off the device. Apple isn't making it easy to me to sync with more than one iTunes library. This would have been btw the real addition in ios 6 not effing Facebook, Siri and 3d maps...

A database of about 100gbs for work that I refer to in case I need to see how I approached a problem before, or show to clients( that's just 1/5 of my full db)

At least 20gb for os and apps.

My library of work related journal articles and books, at least 30gbs

I will have at least 3-4 hq movies in there at about 10gbs.

<massive whine deleted>

FFS just get a Seagate GoFlex Satellite.  5 hours capacity, 500GB storage, wifi passthrough, USB 3.0, streams to 5 devices at one time.  $199 MSRP.

Jesus.  REAL pros don't f-ing whine about a 256-768GB SSD because no single 2.5" hdd is enough either.