Microsoft Windows Phone 8 launches this fall with e-wallet support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    wingswings Posts: 261member

I would switch to cash-only before I would trust Microsoft with my credit or debit cards held in a win8 phone app.

• Reply 22 of 90
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

So Microsoft announce another product that won't be available for months. But worse, they announce that none of the current products will be compatible with it. The Windows Phone market is already tiny and struggling. This is just going to stop it in its tracks until October. Who in their right minds would buy a WinPho now?

Does Microsoft have ANY commercial acumen at the top at all?

Look who's been running the show for years. As you know, that explains a whole lot. 

• Reply 23 of 90
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    poke wrote: »
    Nokia got Double Osborned. After seeing the effects of pre-announcing Symbian being deprecated, how are carriers and customers going to feel about Nokia's WP7 line up now they know that it's not upgradeable and the next version of WP has a completely incompatible API? No developers are going to continue working on WP7. This is very bad news for Nokia. They're toast.

Yep, Ballmer just through Elop under the bus but hey, MS said they would use Nokia maps - soon to be MS maps when Nokia folds up.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    markbyrn wrote: »
    Really? I was looking at the turn-by-turn navigation demo and the maps looked like something you find on an old Gameboy. Maybe it was the demo pictures that didn't do it justice.

I'm trying to not take the fanboy approach to this. The fact is that this is vastly improved over the lame wp7 phones out. I do t expect every demo to look great. This still needs more development work. In fact, there are things I would like Apple do that they are either not interested in, or are taking their time about.

But Microsoft fixed the security problem that wp7 has, though, of course, with the same kernal as Win 8, they are leaving themselves open to similar malware.

Overall, with multiple core support, DirectX support, ease of porting apps over the Win environment, and other new improvements, this will prove to be a much better competing platform, assuming that it isn't the Metro UI in the first place that's keeping people away., though that seems better as well.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

I'm just not in the market for anything Microsoft right now. I'd rather they stick to office software which is the only thing they are still good at making. 

• Reply 26 of 90
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Nokia got Double Osborned. After seeing the effects of pre-announcing Symbian being deprecated, how are carriers and customers going to feel about Nokia's WP7 line up now they know that it's not upgradeable and the next version of WP has a completely incompatible API? No developers are going to continue working on WP7. This is very bad news for Nokia. They're toast.

Well said.

How does AT&T feel about all this? Pushed their Windows Phone to the high heavens only to have it obsoleted in <b>less than three months</b>. Microsoft is screwing the carriers over (with this move and the integration of VOIP). They're not Apple, the Windows Phones just don't seem good enough. This coming from someone who thinks that Windows Phone is very good.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I just finished with the presentation. The truth is that it looks pretty good. They seem to have fixed most of the flaws. Now it will remain to be seen if consumers take it up any more than before.

I find their whole "Metro" theme hard to look at personally, but I know most people have terrible taste. Based on that, they'll find an audience for their pap.

• Reply 28 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Really? I was looking at the turn-by-turn navigation demo and the maps looked like something you find on an old Gameboy. Maybe it was the demo pictures that didn't do it justice.

Ha!

• Reply 29 of 90
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    This is nuclear. Microsoft just deprecated the entire WP7 platform. If you bought a Lumia your phone is now worthless.

I will remember this the next time my brother gripes about how he can't get iOS 5 on his 3g
  • Reply 30 of 90
    I find their whole "Metro" theme hard to look at personally, but I know most people have terrible taste. Based on that, they'll find an audience for their pap.

I don't like it much either. But the biggest criticsm was that the information density was too low, requiring too much scrolling to get anywhere. They've mostly fixed that by making the tiles smaller so that more are on the screen at once, and by using more colors.

The real question is why sales have been so slow (without dropping into the fanboy mode).

Microsoft did have an extensive campaign. But they focussed on using the phone quickly, because their attitude seemed to be that people don't like using their phones. That didn't help. Most people do like using their phones. AT&T has had very good Win Phone Ads. I just assume that Metro isn't to everyone's tastes.

Maybe Microsoft is wrong, and most people are app oriented, and not function oriented. Perhaps most people don't want social contexts as the first thing they see.
  • Reply 31 of 90

Quote:

I don't like it much either. But the biggest criticsm was that the information density was too low, requiring too much scrolling to get anywhere. They've mostly fixed that by making the tiles smaller so that more are on the screen at once, and by using more colors.

The real question is why sales have been so slow (without dropping into the fanboy mode).

Microsoft did have an extensive campaign. But they focussed on using the phone quickly, because their attitude seemed to be that people don't like using their phones. That didn't help. Most people do like using their phones. AT&T has had very good Win Phone Ads. I just assume that Metro isn't to everyone's tastes.

Maybe Microsoft is wrong, and most people are app oriented, and not function oriented. Perhaps most people don't want social contexts as the first thing they see.

Adoption has been low because they are late to the game with non-standard phones (I'm referring to the iPhone as the "standard"). Word of mouth and consumer delight with Apple's phones has made them customers for life. Horrible experiences with Windows for most of their working lives has left a sour taste that may be transferring to Windows Phone. "Halo effect", meet the "Windows" effect.

• Reply 32 of 90
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    Wow very impressive win8 desktop/tablet/win8'phone all running on the same core OS. iOS will use the cloud to connect iOS to OSX and windows. But IMHO the synergy Microsoft has could be huge.

The nextgen Xbox should also run the same core OS to finish the cycle...
  • Reply 33 of 90
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member

Because nothing says security like "Microsoft."

• Reply 34 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Wow very impressive win8 desktop/tablet/win8'phone all running on the same core OS. iOS will use the cloud to connect iOS to OSX and windows. But IMHO the synergy Microsoft has could be huge.

The nextgen Xbox should also run the same core OS to finish the cycle...

I look forward to reports of a massive botnet created by hacked Windows 8 desktops and Windows Phones. You know it's coming.

• Reply 35 of 90
    shadowxprshadowxpr Posts: 162member
    I look forward to reports of a massive botnet created by hacked Windows 8 desktops and Windows Phones. You know it's coming.

The truth is Microsoft right now is great on security because they have been battling it for decades. Apple and google are not on part IMHO. I love my Mac but the truth is the truth...
  • Reply 36 of 90
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

Where's Monkey Boy?

BallmerDance.gif

• Reply 37 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

Where's Monkey Boy?

BallmerDance.gif

Love it. I knew the memes would quickly follow. We need a whole chorus line of Ballmers on stage a la The Rockettes.

• Reply 38 of 90
    Adoption has been low because they are late to the game with non-standard phones (I'm referring to the iPhone as the "standard"). Word of mouth and consumer delight with Apple's phones has made them customers for life. Horrible experiences with Windows for most of their working lives has left a sour taste that may be transferring to Windows Phone. "Halo effect", meet the "Windows" effect.

I don't think it's that simple. I saw people pick up WebOS phones in stores, play with them for a few seconds, put them down and spend more time with other phones. Few people really had that attitude about Palm. I had Palm phones for years, and most people I know who also did were pretty satisfied.

Win Phone could have the same problem.

I believe the same thing happens with all phones. People pick them up in a store. If they can't figure out a basic way to work it quickly, they lose interest quickly. No one reads 50 page phone manuals anymore.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new Windows Phone 8 will also borrow much of its code base from Windows 8, which will allow developers to create applications that can be run on phones, tablets and desktops all running Microsoft's operating systems.

uh oh. does that mean, you'll need a 32GB phone since the OS will probably take up 10GB?

• Reply 40 of 90

Quote:

I don't think it's that simple. I saw people pick up WebOS phones in stores, play with them for a few seconds, put them down and spend more time with other phones. Few people really had that attitude about Palm. I had Palm phones for years, and most people I know who also did were pretty satisfied.

Win Phone could have the same problem.

I believe the same thing happens with all phones. People pick them up in a store. If they can't figure out a basic way to work it quickly, they lose interest quickly. No one reads 50 page phone manuals anymore.

I'm sure what you describe also plays a huge part. Apple Stores play a big part (in addition to word of mouth) in winning customers over also.