NYT profiles Apple's retail stores, says employees are 'short on pay'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    goapplegoapple Posts: 3member
  • Reply 42 of 130
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggiti View Post

"ex-Apple retail store employee Jordan Golson, who said it was "tough" when he sold three-quarters of a million dollars worth of devices in a three-month span

I was under the impression that Apple only sold products due to:

1. Their great 'marketing' of actually inferior products.

2. Steve Job's 'Reality Distortion Field'

Now it appears that it's actually this Jordan Golson's sales skills (despite the fact that Apple employees are constantly told not to push sales of anything other than 'One on One' or AppleCare) that sold three quarters of a million dollars worth of devices and, in no way, the result of Apple's ability to provide great hardware, software, and back it up with good old-fashioned great customer service.

Oh, woe!

Who are we to believe!!!

(>_<)

• Reply 43 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by IchLiebeApfel View Post

Why no link to the NYTimes story? Because AppleInsider sticks its head in the sand when it comes to Apple not doing the right thing.  The story originally showed up on nytimes.com but we're only now seeing it mentioned here on Sunday.  Rest assured that if it was a story praising Apple, there would be a link on here published within 30 minutes.  This site is basically a mouthpiece for Apple.  I love Apple and its products, and enjoy this site's coverage of new products in the pipeline, but beyond that I've learned to look past its bias and take its spin on things like this with a big grain of salt.

Then why did you read it if it's bias?

• Reply 44 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by IchLiebeApfel View Post

Why no link to the NYTimes story? Because AppleInsider sticks its head in the sand when it comes to Apple not doing the right thing.  The story originally showed up on nytimes.com but we're only now seeing it mentioned here on Sunday.  Rest assured that if it was a story praising Apple, there would be a link on here published within 30 minutes.  This site is basically a mouthpiece for Apple.  I love Apple and its products, and enjoy this site's coverage of new products in the pipeline, but beyond that I've learned to look past its bias and take its spin on things like this with a big grain of salt.

Then why did you read it?

• Reply 45 of 130

Really..... you don't believe the nonsense you just wrote do you ?  Apple is one of the best companies to work for in the world. I guess your just jealous that you don't work for them.

• Reply 46 of 130
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

I’m boycotting Apple!

Just as soon as...

a) The recent large pay raises for Apple retail are shown to be a hoax.

and

b) An Apple competitor is proven to offer a significantly more tempting employment package to its own retail staff.

and

c) That Apple competitor is shown to be doing (not lip service but action) even one half of what Apple has been doing to improve conditions for workers overseas, and to lessen environmental impact.

• Reply 47 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

The NYT definitely has been running with a lot of negative press about Apple recently.

Does anybody know what originally caused this 'falling out'?

It sells papers.  That is always the answer when the question concerns actions of the media.  They go for easy, spectacular stories.

• Reply 48 of 130

The really annoying thing about the NYT is their sense of value. If I list my house with a realtor for a million dollars, do I then have to give that person half the value of the house because they found a buyer? Working at a store, selling stuff, is a job. The pay shouldn't be tied to the value of what you sell—it's a sales job. Even though the people who sell iPhones at AT&T make more for selling them because they're on commission, the customer experience at an AT&T store is much worse than at an Apple store because they're pushing the high-dollar stuff and frankly couldn't care less about what you really want or need. My experience at an Apple store is that they're interested in satisfying your needs.

Also, with working at an Apple store in your résumé, you are much more desirable to another employer. Treat it like getting an education. You're much more able to rise in income potential after working for Apple, even though rising in the Apple Store isn't much of an option.

• Reply 49 of 130
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

In the previous thread about Apple giving some retail employees a 25% raise, I said good for the employees.

This New York Times story however, is complete crap, just like all of their other hit pieces targeting Apple, especially the fabricated China crap. Taking into consideration Apple's recent pay increase, which was quite substantial, there is no reason to give the employees any further pay hike. It is a retail job after all, and it doesn't take a genius to sell Apple devices. The devices sell themselves. Let's not go overboard here with liberal delusions and perverted economic policies. 

• Reply 50 of 130
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 662member
    Why no link to the NYTimes story? Because AppleInsider sticks its head in the sand when it comes to Apple not doing the right thing.  The story originally showed up on nytimes.com but we're only now seeing it mentioned here on Sunday.  

You're obviously a noob to AI as they routinely post Apple critical articles but they post very little on the weekends - guess they have families and need some time off eh.
  • Reply 51 of 130
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gtr wrote: »
    The NYT definitely has been running with a lot of negative press about Apple recently.
    Does anybody know what originally caused this 'falling out'?
    apple becoming the most valuable company in the world.
  • Reply 52 of 130
    I apologize in advance if this is harsh, but for the basic retail sales staff (not genius) how are they really different than any other retail job selling a product? Just because the company is successful doesn't make their position anymore valuable. 
    Exactly. Curious how Apple retail pay compares to Best Buy or other retail?
  • Reply 53 of 130
    sensisensi Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Funny how Apple is doing so horribly at Chinese work conditions after having just drastically improved Chinese work conditions.

Funny how Apple is putting out so much pollution after having just building the green energy plant for its servers.

Funny how Apple is short-changing its retail employees after having just drastically increased pay for retail employees.

Why can't we get some overseeing body to shut down these idiots in the media? That wouldn't be stifling free speech. It would be stifling lies.

You are just rewriting history here, each of your examples have turned that way precisely as a 'good will' response to NGOs activism or press reports, e.g. the contested data centers power scheme weasn't meant to be 100% green before Greenpreace campaigning, etc, you don't want me to dig for the relevant sources proving my point but they are well here. Morover this latest NYT report wasn't exactly made in a day, it is a months long inquiry...

• Reply 54 of 130
    Next in the NY Times iEconomy series: all about how Apple corporate doesnt employ enough women and minorities. I mean their CEO and all their SVP's are white men. Surely that isn't acceptable in PC America.
  • Reply 55 of 130
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,122member

Quote:

"ex-Apple retail store employee Jordan Golson, who said it was "tough" when he sold three-quarters of a million dollars worth of devices in a three-month span

but was earning just $11.25 per hour. He noted that in Christmas 2010, he and other employees were given gifts of a fleece blanket and insulated coffee thermos"

Ignore it all you want and be a FANBOY, But things like this will come back to bite Apple

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Since you're such and objective non-fanboy could you explain why Apple's retail pay is so bad?

This is the problem with the Internet Solips.  It gives trolling hacks like Diggiti a voice to spew his uneducated nonsense.

• Reply 56 of 130
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

but was earning just $11.25 per hour. He noted that in Christmas 2010, he and other employees were given gifts of a fleece blanket and insulated coffee thermos"

Ignore it all you want and be a FANBOY, But things like this will come back to bite Apple

Seriously, that's what retail pays.  It's a position that takes good people interaction skills, generally requires no college education, usually requires little or no experience, doesn't require much in the way of physical labor, and -- depending on the current labor market -- may have a lot of potential candidates vying for each job.

Didn't Mr. Golson agree to that compensation package when he took the retail job with Apple?

• Reply 57 of 130

People forget that Apple lives at the edge of innovation.  Soon, the Apple presence at corporations will be felt.  Right now the president and VPs all have iPhones, but the average employee runs a boring IBM or Microsoft terminal.  Soon it will all be iPads and iMacs.  Then the Apple technicians will be visiting corporations by the thousands.  Those visiting technicians in the industry now make $ 100 an hour.  Those two markets will fuse, creating a $ 50 an hour traveling genius.  

• Reply 58 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yeah, well name a "great" company who currently is the poster boy for humanism. There are none and I'm sick and tired of all this drivel about how corporations are somehow obligated to share the wealth. The world has NEVER EVER worked that way and NEVER WILL. The human condition is all about sex, wealth, and power, and the accumulation there of. And people like yourself go on and on about "fairness" and "equality" ad nauseum until of course it hits you personally in the pocketbook. It's always somebody else, some corporation who's duty it is to redistribute wealth, not your wealth of course. Somebody else's wealth.

Who is on about wealth redistribution - certainly not me. I was simply suggesting that a less invidious or more measured approach merits consideration in the areas I mentioned of character, relationships and markets. My personal and very capitalist experience leads me to believe that less arrogance serves us better in the long term. You may have a different opinion and I'm happy for that differentiator.  

For Jragosta - I'm agnostic and business is just business. Winners and losers that's the reality, but there are always lessons to be learned. 

• Reply 59 of 130
    slang4artslang4art Posts: 376member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

You are just rewriting history here, each of your examples have turned that way precisely as a 'good will' response to NGOs activism or press reports, e.g. the contested data centers power scheme weasn't meant to be 100% green before Greenpreace campaigning, etc, you don't want me to dig for the relevant sources proving my point but they are well here. Morover this latest NYT report wasn't exactly made in a day, it is a months long inquiry...

I'd like you to go dig for the relevant sources proving your point; go do so please.

• Reply 60 of 130
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

I've heard Microsoft stores offer their employees a much less hectic work environment and the number of customers they must serve every day is limited. And Ballmer gives each of them a pony and a unicorn every year for Christmas.