Apple SVP of Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield to retire

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Post removed... Lousy tools here. I'll try again.

• Reply 42 of 80
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member

Congratulations Bob.  Well done. Very well done.  

• Reply 43 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

So are you implying that Apple has reached their apex and growth has started to plateau?

Honestly I don't know, but it stands to reason that Apple will not grow forever and that at some point inertia will set in once again. I don't foresee an immediate end to spectacular growth, but I do see a disturbing trend toward emphasis on money as an incentive, versus the incentives Steve Jobs had been known for, a desire to be the best in the world, fear of irrelevance, pressure to outperform, etc. Tangible benefits are starting to overtake the intangibles. Not a promising trend.

• Reply 44 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You two are reading things into my comment that I didn't imply. I never said Apple was faltering. i never stated it was proof. His reason for leaving has no barring on how his absence will affect Apple.
    People do come and go but there are some employees that I think are so key to Apple's previous and continued success that I think they will be hard pressed to replace.I think Ive, Mansfield and Cook are three of them. I actually don't put Jobs in that list, not because there are any just like him, but because Steve built and designed, rebuilt and redesigned Apple so well that his vision will be carried out for a long time to come because it's the only path worth taking.
    Mansfield has been leading Mac HW for 7 years. In that time under his direction Macs have not only become substantially better machines (I don't just mean faster) but the rest of the industry has followed Mac design closer than ever before. I hope that Ricco can not only match his execution but surpass him in every way.

To be fair you did infer the faltering thing.

I just hope he doesn't pop up at another company with 5 x the salary.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Honestly I don't know, but it stands to reason that Apple will not grow forever and that at some point inertia will set in once again. I don't foresee an immediate end to spectacular growth, but I do see a disturbing trend toward emphasis on money as an incentive, versus the incentives Steve Jobs had been known for, a desire to be the best in the world, fear of irrelevance, pressure to outperform, etc. Tangible benefits are starting to overtake the intangibles. Not a promising trend.

OK, I'll go out on a limb here ... I think Apple has a long way to go.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cgj wrote: »
    What are you talking about? How many service packs have over 200 new features? Including major changes like Voice Dictation, deeper iCloud sync, Notification Centre, new Safari and Facebook/Twitter integration?

It's funny how some think that if you release major OS updates at rates faster than Windows releases a service pack that it, too, must be a service pack.

To be fair you did infer the faltering thing.

I said the closest thing right after I commented on all the "claims" that Apple was going to fail simply because of some internal change. I admit I was using a bit of hyperbole but I thought my mention of the crazy comments and simply stating closest thing, as opposed to sure thing, that my comment would be read to show how much I think Mansfield means to the Mac (which isn't even Apple's biggest product category) but I see it was taken in a negative, fatalist way in which I had intention. The most blatant proof of this is that myapplelove agreeing with me.

PS: I do think Apple will be a trillion dollar company.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

"In other news, Samsung has poured every cent they have into hiring Bob Mansfield, formerly of Apple Inc." :lol:
  • Reply 48 of 80
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I retired once and then traveled extensively. After several years it became dull. Then I started spending my days loitering on internet forums. I've since taken jobs in a variety of professions simply to try them out but I've been missing my former career to the point that I've invested thousands in training equipment so I can get back into it.

So what you're saying is you founded the company that we have to thank for these commercials?

• Reply 49 of 80

Bob Mansfield has done an excellent job. The engineering in the laptops seems to be very well done. The Mac Mini is pretty good. I've read that the iMacs get too hot and that bothers some people. Maybe the new guy will have the balls to tell Johnny Ive that he needs to give the components more room for cooling or more vents and a fan.

Does anybody think that the next iMacs will have soldiered on RAM and hard drives that can't be accessed just so the units can be super thin? Maybe Bob came up with that idea for the iPad and Ive will be implementing it on the next generation iMacs.

I was visiting the Vizio site this week and their version of an all in one desktop has the computing parts built within the base of the stand, not in the screen enclosure like the iMacs. Did Apple do it that way originally for the iMacs or did they always have the components combined with the screen? I got into Apple computers in 2008 and don't know much of the history of the products.

• Reply 50 of 80
    Does anybody think that the next iMacs will have soldiered on RAM and hard drives that can't be accessed just so the units can be super thin?

Since iMac hard drives have always been hard to get to, I'm actually surprised they haven't done this yet (at least partially).
    Did Apple do it that way originally for the iMacs or did they always have the components combined with the screen?

Straight from Mountain Lion (hush, I'm posting these images… everyone has them anyway, just smaller)…

eMac (OS X no longer includes a G3 iMac icon, despite no G4 or G5 product (plenty of icons) being able to run the last two versions…):

G4 iMac:

Of particular note is that the computer icons used in OS X aren't product images. All the pictures on their website are, but these are renders. It's strange. They look very real, but they're not.

View the images standalone to see them full size. The forum shrinks them for some stupid reason.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's funny how some think that if you release major OS updates at rates faster than Windows releases a service pack that it, too, must be a service pack.
    I said the closest thing right after I commented on all the "claims" that Apple was going to fail simply because of some internal change. I admit I was using a bit of hyperbole but I thought my mention of the crazy comments and simply stating closest thing, as opposed to sure thing, that my comment would be read to show how much I think Mansfield means to the Mac (which isn't even Apple's biggest product category) but I see it was taken in a negative, fatalist way in which I had intention. The most blatant proof of this is that myapplelove agreeing with me.
    PS: I do think Apple will be a trillion dollar company.

I didn't read your comment in any fatalistic sense whatsoever. I read it matter of fact, Mansfield was a mac figurehead, instrumental in apple's success, if there's anyone other than Serlet from the old guard who's departure could be interpreted symbolically as a change to an uncertain direction for apple it would be him. To me way much more than Schiller and only second to Ive. And if you might have noticed I didn't make a comment relating his departure to a decline in quality in his specialty at apple. I only said that its been amply evident in the case of Serlet that no one could fill his shoes. It would presumptuous of me to assert that there wouldn't be the appropriate hardware talent in apple of all places to take up his role and do so successfully.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

I hope that Bob will sit for an interview with a good business writer at an appropriate time. He's been a key factor in Apple's success over the past decade.

• Reply 53 of 80
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've been wondering why he's been selling most all his stock during the past year. Now I know.

I also wonder why he would retire at such a young age, and when Apple is becoming a vast company.

Perhaps, it is more remarkable that these folks stay on at Apple (or any other company) and continue to work so passionately for so long when they are so wealthy at such a young age.

• Reply 54 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I hope that Bob will sit for an interview with a good business writer at an appropriate time. He's been a key factor in Apple's success over the past decade.

Not a business writer, hopefully. A good writer who truly gets technology (i.e. not Isaacson)

• Reply 55 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Bob Mansfield has done an excellent job. The engineering in the laptops seems to be very well done. The Mac Mini is pretty good. I've read that the iMacs get too hot and that bothers some people. Maybe the new guy will have the balls to tell Johnny Ive that he needs to give the components more room for cooling or more vents and a fan.

Perhaps a few iMacs get hot. I have two at home and a whole bunch at work that don't.

• Reply 56 of 80
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

All the best to Bob for his past endeavours.

I imagine working at Apple for seven years would be like running the 100 meter dash for the same period of time so I can't blame him for getting out while he's still young enough to enjoy the finer things in life and spend time with his family.

Thank you for your contributions to humanity, Bob!

Quote:

Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I must have hit a nerve, don't shoot the messenger though, ml is a service pack, hence its unexpected out of the blue release to put lion behind them, and quickly, but don't take my word for it, read what the others from the non stock holding apple community are saying, they are not all professional suck ups like Grubber you know.

Some of us form an opinion by actually using the system and making an honest assessment of it. Every other thread in a lot of apple forums is asking is ml as quick as snow leopard, or is it like lion? Did they fix this, did they fix that? You don't hear that about ios now do you? One one hand it's did they add x,y,z and on the other it's did they fix x,y,z.

I don't know why you bother including reasoning in any of your posts considering we all know they'll be negative about Apple regardless of the topic.

You're not fooling anybody with your 'I'm just looking at the facts and being reasonable' speech.'. Give up and go find a hobby that you enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"In other news, Samsung has poured every cent they have into hiring Bob Mansfield, formerly of Apple Inc." image

Actually, I've heard that the next step in Samsung's 'innovation' cycle is attempting to clone Apple employees without their knowledge.

Keep an eye on all your hair and nail clippings, guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

I'd also like to see this occur with a ton of people who have worked at Apple. That would be extremely interesting!

• Reply 57 of 80
    gtr wrote: »
    Actually, I've heard that the next step in Samsung's 'innovation' cycle is attempting to clone Apple employees without their knowledge.

Keep an eye on all your hair and nail clippings, guys!

Article.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

DNA for the rest of us

Article.

And here I was thinking they were called midichlorians...

Thanks for setting me straight! ;-)

• Reply 59 of 80
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    From left to right, iPad, 27" iMac, iPod nano.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member

Quote:

He made possible the hardware you're currently using. I'd show some respect.

Yeah I'm going to miss his ugly mug. It was nice to see the elves that make the magic happen have their 15 minutes of fame. 

MacBook Pro Retina. An unbelievable piece of design, let alone engineering. It's almost as thin as the iPhone. Massive performance ~ benches at close to the highest of all stock Apple computers. Let's think about that for a second.