'Google Now' personal assistant represents search giant's answer to Siri

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    "The difference between Apple and Google regarding your data is that Google uses it with third parties to make money and Apple keeps it in house to make money."

And obviously Google has to be always better in order to make money. Most chose Google as the search engine for its high accuracy. In nature it is usually losers who lack choice.
  • Reply 102 of 128
    "The difference between Apple and Google regarding your data is that Google uses it with third parties to make money and Apple keeps it in house to make money."

And obviously Google has to be always better in order to make money.
    Most chose Google as the search engine for its high accuracy.

In nature it is usually losers who lack choice.
  • Reply 103 of 128
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Knockoff? Google has had voice commands ages before Siri.

Updating it this just makes it even better. When I woke up this morning there was a card on my screen with the amount of traffic I would run into on my way to work.

It's really useful and you don't even have to think about. The data is just there.

and Apple has had voice commands since 1994... what's your point?

• Reply 104 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Been trusting them since Gmail came out. They have a perfect track record with my data so why shouldn't I trust them?

I think you misspelled something, "MoronMushroom"

• Reply 105 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

and Apple has had voice commands since 1994... what's your point?

There shouldn't be one. What difference does it make who was "first" as some posters here are quick to write. As long as Android and iOS platforms are progressively improving voice features, which they are, users of both platforms come out ahead. Silly to argue over who is "better" since both have differing strong points. Obviously if you're committed to one OS or the other your choice of which to use is pretty darn limited.

• Reply 106 of 128

This all all sounds like that creepy a s s  statements from Eric Schmidt...

“We know where you are. We know where you’ve been. We can more or less know what you’re thinking about.”

“I ACTUALLY think most people don’t want Google to answer their questions, they want Google to tell them what they should be doing next."

Good luck Fandroids!!!

• Reply 107 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There shouldn't be one. What difference does it make who was "first" as some posters here are quick to write. As long as Android and iOS platforms are progressively improving voice features, which they are, users of both platforms come out ahead. Silly to argue over who is "better" since both have differing strong points. Obviously if you're committed to one OS or the other your choice of which to use is pretty darn limited.

Umm... if you read through the posts you would have noticed that someone was saying Google had voice commands first...I was pointing out that in fact Apple had them long ago.

Are you new to these boards or something?

• Reply 108 of 128
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fits in with your entire statement, then. image

Could you also not post seven times in a row? Multiquote is there for a reason. Consolidate your trolling.

Ill post as needed.  As I read through I respond.  Sorry to hurt your feelings.

• Reply 109 of 128

Hardly. Don't take offense as none was intended. It doesn't matter who was first, the general point I was making.

• Reply 110 of 128

This all all sounds like those creepy a s s  statements from Eric Schmidt...

“We know where you are. We know where you’ve been. We can more or less know what you’re thinking about.”

“I ACTUALLY think most people don’t want Google to answer their questions, they want Google to tell them what they should be doing next."

Good luck Fandroids!!!

• Reply 111 of 128

Maybe you'll get lucky MJ. Apple is far from enabling all that Siri is capable of according to this post. Whether any of it is already working behind the scenes, who knows?

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Notably, SRI and Apple have only begun to demonstrate the currently available scope of Siri. Siri can do far more than anyone has seen in a released product today.

Siri can do Workflow Activity Recognition and Proactive Assistance (just like Google Now) today, this simply hasn't been activated by Apple.

Siri can handle email meeting requests, reserves venues, and schedules events today then find emails, documents, and contacts that are relevant to a given meeting automatically, this simply hasn't been activated by Apple.

Siri can automatically compose email messages and suggest attachments for the message in response to scheduled events or emails, this simply hasn't been activated by Apple.

Siri can automatically search the Internet for contact information and additional data for your contacts, this simply hasn't been activated by Apple. For example, if you have a meeting with Susan Jeffries who is a high school friend you haven't seen for five years Siri can tell you she is married with two children (with their names and birthdays) and employed by Bank of America.

Siri can track your interests and generate a user-personalized RSS feeds, this simply hasn't been activated by Apple.

Siri can learn and automate complex workflows. To understand how powerful Siri is you need to understand how transformative the computer revolution was to businesses in the 1980s.

• Reply 112 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by sausages View Post

Uh they gave away to all attendees of IO phones and tablets that had Jellybean on them, with a fully functional Google Now. Just read Joshua Topolsky's tweets: he was very impressed when getting off his flight from San Franciso, his Nexus immediately (and without prompting him) provided driving directions back to his home from the airport.

Yeah that's useful... Since I got myself to the airport in the first place!!! I'm pretty sure from anywhere in the world, I'd know how to get home.

While cool and all, sounds like a waste of expensive bandwidth to me.

It would be more useful it knew where I was staying when I got to my destination and then gave me a few options of how to get there. But how could it possibly know where I'm staying without me telling it?

• Reply 113 of 128
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Currently Siri gets 60% of its answers from Google, 20% from Yelp, 14% from WolframAlpha, 4% from Yahoo and 2% from Wikipedia.

..."Breaking down Siri's reliance further," Munster writes, "Google provides 100% of navigation results,...

That's 0% outside the US, which is where the majority of iPhones are sold.

• Reply 114 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

That's 0% outside the US, which is where the majority of iPhones are sold.

I did not know that. Who's providing Siri's navigation maps and web search answers in your country?

• Reply 115 of 128
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? I stated that Google should wait until they have a working product. They don't have a working product, just a demo. Apple, OTOH, has quite a history of keeping their mouth shut about things until the product is ready to go. You don't see the difference?

Nexus 7 is available for pre-order now, shipping in "2 to 3 weeks"

Nexus Q is available for pre-order now, shipping in "2 to 3 weeks"

So how does this compare to Apple?

iPad 3: announced March 7, released March 16, ~1 week.

iPhone 4s: announced Oct. 7, released Oct 14, 1 week.

iPhone 4: announced Jun 7, released Jun 24, ~2 weeks.

Now considering the time frames are approx equal, and the fact that Google actually gave away a thousand galaxy nexuses... nexi? with 4.1 installed whereas Apple doesn't even let the press touch the product being announced, No, I don't see the difference.

You have to love the double standards from the Apple fanbois.

• Reply 116 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    majjo wrote: »
    Nexus 7 is available for pre-order now, shipping in "2 to 3 weeks"
    Nexus Q is available for pre-order now, shipping in "2 to 3 weeks"

So how does this compare to Apple?
    iPad 3: announced March 7, released March 16, ~1 week.
    iPhone 4s: announced Oct. 7, released Oct 14, 1 week.
    iPhone 4: announced Jun 7, released Jun 24, ~2 weeks.

Now considering the time frames are approx equal, and the fact that Google actually gave away a thousand galaxy nexuses... nexi? with 4.1 installed whereas Apple doesn't even let the press touch the product being announced, No, I don't see the difference.

You have to love the double standards from the Apple fanbois.

And it's only been the last year or so that Apple has stepped up their game to the point that they can start selling a product that quickly after it's been announced. As I noted earlier in this thread (or perhaps another thread or forum) what Google announced and has ready for sale is very impressive logistically. MS et al. just don't get it. If you want to wow the people you need to copy this aspect of Apple's marketing strategy. This is one reason why AI has posted so much about Google this week. Whether you like their offerings or not you can not ignore them.

PS: It's either nexus or nexuses. I'd personally use nexus unless the sentence was plurally ambiguous.
  • Reply 117 of 128
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I love apple as much as the next person, but as a lover of technology. Goole now makes siri look like a joke. I hope Apple comes out improves siri to make it as functional as Google now. 

What an asinine comment. Is Google Now better in some ways? From the video comparison (I think you posted) it sure looked a little faster and the direct web search parsing was definitely more streamlined than Siri but for you to say that makes Siri a joke shows you have an irrational hatred for Apple.
  • Reply 118 of 128
    sausagessausages Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Yeah that's useful... Since I got myself to the airport in the first place!!! I'm pretty sure from anywhere in the world, I'd know how to get home.

While cool and all, sounds like a waste of expensive bandwidth to me.

It would be more useful it knew where I was staying when I got to my destination and then gave me a few options of how to get there. But how could it possibly know where I'm staying without me telling it?

My understanding is that your latter point is something it very well may be able to do in the future. If you read Topolsky's review, he points out that it takes into account all your search history, etc etc. He points out that it seemed to have figured out which flight he was taking as he searched it a few times, and perhaps through something similar to that it can discern which hotel one is staying at? I think in the end, the concept of a more aware search engine is an interesting one (fraught with important privacy concerns, for sure) and absolutely seems like a logical extension of what Siri pioneered.

• Reply 119 of 128

I love coming to this forum. iSheep fanboys are so dilusional it's hilarious.

First of all, whoever says that Apple invented Siri needs to do some homework. Apple Bought Siri from the original developer who had it up in the App Store. In fact, it used to be a better App then Apple dumbed it down and made it slightly usable, and fed you iSheep slight upgrades so that you felt like Apple was "SO INNOVATIVE"

http://www.cultofmac.com/173725/steve-wozniak-has-been-disappointed-by-siri-since-apple-bought-it/

Second, the original purpose of buying the Siri Personal Assistant Software was for it's "Artificial Intelligence" capabilities. In terms of Artificial Intelligence, and what the AI can do for you, Google Now completely SMOKES Siri, plain and simple. Infact, Siri's "AI" capabilites are non-existant. It is a voice recognition software that carries out commands, that's it. Google Now is an actual AI in that it memorizes your behavior and gives you useful information so you don't have to do it yourself.

Finally, whoever's talking about Google selling your information, and how evil they are, just stop it. Who cares about your insignificant life. Who cares that you typed in a search for "Android is the Sux0r"? You really think if I'm selling a product I'm going to go to Google and say "Oh I see Mike Jones here likes gold teeth, let me go harass him"? People are so ridiculous these days thinking they're significant in the grand scheme of things.

• Reply 120 of 128

I love coming to this forum. iSheep fanboys are so dilusional it's hilarious.

First of all, whoever says that Apple invented Siri needs to do some homework. Apple Bought Siri from the original developer who had it up in the App Store. In fact, it used to be a better App then Apple dumbed it down and made it slightly usable, and fed you iSheep slight upgrades so that you felt like Apple was "SO INNOVATIVE"

http://www.cultofmac.com/173725/steve-wozniak-has-been-disappointed-by-siri-since-apple-bought-it/

Second, the original purpose of buying the Siri Personal Assistant Software was for it's "Artificial Intelligence" capabilities. In terms of Artificial Intelligence, and what the AI can do for you, Google Now completely SMOKES Siri, plain and simple. Infact, Siri's "AI" capabilites are non-existant. It is a voice recognition software that carries out commands, that's it. Google Now is an actual AI in that it memorizes your behavior and gives you useful information so you don't have to do it yourself.

Finally, whoever's talking about Google selling your information, and how evil they are, just stop it. Who cares about your insignificant life. Who cares that you typed in a search for "Android is the Sux0r"? You really think if I'm selling a product I'm going to go to Google and say "Oh I see Mike Jones here likes gold teeth, let me go harass him"? People are so ridiculous these days thinking they're significant in the grand scheme of things.