Apple wins injunction against Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone

Comments

• Reply 141 of 379

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Not only that, virtually all the evidence suggests that Apple iOS is superior to Google Android is every way:

* Apple iPhone has the highest customer retention rate. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/22/apples_iphone_has_89_retention_rate_next_nearest_hardware_is_htc_at_39.html

* Apple iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/iphone-customer-satisfaction-jd-power-associates_n_1354393.html

* Apple has the best smartphone reliability http://www.squaretrade.com/cell-phone-comparison-study-nov-10

* Apple iPhone offers much less expensive prices for apps than Android. http://mobile.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/iPhone-Apps-Are-Cheaper-than-Android-Report-321632/

Apple has the market leading ecosystem with:

* 28 million (mostly) DRM-free songs worldwide (many encoded as 256 kbit/s AAC)

* 1,000,000+ podcasts (USA)

* 40,000+ music videos (USA)

* 3,000+ TV shows (USA)

* 20,000+ audiobooks (USA)

* 2,500+ movies (USA)

* 725,700 App Store Apps with more than 25 billion downloads

* Apple has more than 70% of the digital music downloads

* Apple iTunes provides seamless synchronization of Apps, audiobooks, Books, calendars, contacts, movies, music, podcasts, and TV shows between iOS and OS X or Microsoft Windows

* Apple iCloud provides seamless synchronization of Apps, audiobooks, Books, calendars, contacts, movies, music, podcasts, TV shows in the cloud

* Apple iTunes AirPlay provides wireless media playback between iOS and OS X or Microsoft Windows

* Apple iTunes in the Cloud provides free, unlimited perpetual storage and access on-demand to the entire catalog of purchased movies, music and TV shows

* Apple iCloud provides free mail, calendars and contacts

* Apple iCloud provides 5 GB free storage which enables bookmarks, calendars, contacts, data & document, email, notes, to-do lists and web browser reading lists and tabs synchronization across devices and platforms

* Apple Photo Stream provides up to one month storage of up to 1,000 digital photographs with synchronization across devices

* Apple iCloud "Back to my Mac" service automatically configures ad hoc, on-demand, point-to-point encrypted connections between computers using IPSec.

* Apple iCloud "Find my iPhone" allows users to track the location of their iOS device, or Mac with the ability to see the device's approximate location on a map (along with a circle showing the radius depicting the margin of error), display a message or play a sound on the device (even if it is set to silent), change the password on the device, and remotely erase its contents

* Apple iCloud allows users the option to back up iOS devices online and restore from online backup without connecting to a computer

* Apple provides consumer content creation and editing apps for apps, textbooks, movies (and TV shows), music and digital photography

TLDR

• Reply 142 of 379

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

for real work I use my iPhone 4.

For real work I use a quad-core i7 machine with lots of RAM.  Do you write novels on your telephone?  Construct spreadsheets?  What do you mean by "real work"?

• Reply 143 of 379
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    so true. if there were no android phones you wouldn't have any larger screens, freedom, and for sure apple would have no reason to really improve.

This is, of course, nonsense. Apple released the iPad without any serious competition. The MacBook Air pioneered its class. In both cases, the products were significant improved even before any real competition emerged.

Part of Apple's success is repeat business. By continually improving their products, they get customers to buy more. That is true whether or whether or not there's competition. In fact, Apple's retention rate on the iPhone and iPad is so high that most of their business is selling new phones to existing customers - so they have plenty of incentive to improve the phone. The faster they improve it, the sooner their customers buy more.
    hill60 wrote: »
    It should be easy to make a work around.

Samsung would be off the hook.

If it's so easy, why has no one done so? Even the Motorola 'workaround' doesn't really get around the patent - as we'll probably find out when the ITC hammers them for playing games to get around the injunction.

hjb wrote: »
    Lol. Maybe you are not living in real world.
    A lot of courts what? Please provide me with links. (sorry, you tend to say something as facts but you do not back your claims with any plausible links)

Funny that you deny something in a thread where the lead article clearly backs up what I said.
  • Reply 144 of 379
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

ha ha. 'for real work'. yeah, right. thats what i see people doing with smartphones. 'real' work. so tell us what real work you are getting done with the iphone that you can't do with your GN?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

For real work I use a quad-core i7 machine with lots of RAM.  Do you write novels on your telephone?  Construct spreadsheets?  What do you mean by "real work"?

Communicating with people.

• Reply 145 of 379
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Not only that, virtually all the evidence suggests that Apple iOS is superior to Google Android is every way:
    * Apple iPhone has the highest customer retention rate. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/22/apples_iphone_has_89_retention_rate_next_nearest_hardware_is_htc_at_39.html
    * Apple iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/iphone-customer-satisfaction-jd-power-associates_n_1354393.html
    * Apple has the best smartphone reliability http://www.squaretrade.com/cell-phone-comparison-study-nov-10
    * Apple iPhone offers much less expensive prices for apps than Android. http://mobile.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/iPhone-Apps-Are-Cheaper-than-Android-Report-321632/
    Apple has the market leading ecosystem with:
    * 28 million (mostly) DRM-free songs worldwide (many encoded as 256 kbit/s AAC)
    * 1,000,000+ podcasts (USA)
    * 40,000+ music videos (USA)
    * 3,000+ TV shows (USA)
    * 20,000+ audiobooks (USA)
    * 2,500+ movies (USA)
    * 725,700 App Store Apps with more than 25 billion downloads
    * Apple has more than 70% of the digital music downloads
    * Apple iTunes provides seamless synchronization of Apps, audiobooks, Books, calendars, contacts, movies, music, podcasts, and TV shows between iOS and OS X or Microsoft Windows
    * Apple iCloud provides seamless synchronization of Apps, audiobooks, Books, calendars, contacts, movies, music, podcasts, TV shows in the cloud
    * Apple iTunes AirPlay provides wireless media playback between iOS and OS X or Microsoft Windows
    * Apple iTunes in the Cloud provides free, unlimited perpetual storage and access on-demand to the entire catalog of purchased movies, music and TV shows
    * Apple iCloud provides free mail, calendars and contacts
    * Apple iCloud provides 5 GB free storage which enables bookmarks, calendars, contacts, data & document, email, notes, to-do lists and web browser reading lists and tabs synchronization across devices and platforms
    * Apple Photo Stream provides up to one month storage of up to 1,000 digital photographs with synchronization across devices
    * Apple iCloud "Back to my Mac" service automatically configures ad hoc, on-demand, point-to-point encrypted connections between computers using IPSec.
    * Apple iCloud "Find my iPhone" allows users to track the location of their iOS device, or Mac with the ability to see the device's approximate location on a map (along with a circle showing the radius depicting the margin of error), display a message or play a sound on the device (even if it is set to silent), change the password on the device, and remotely erase its contents
    * Apple iCloud allows users the option to back up iOS devices online and restore from online backup without connecting to a computer
    * Apple provides consumer content creation and editing apps for apps, textbooks, movies (and TV shows), music and digital photography

But that's only because Apple users are dumb, stupid, ignorant lemmings who will take any piece of crap Apple throws at them and love it. Don't believe it? Ask any Apple hater and they will set you straight. Apple only exists because people are stupid. Sad but true.
  • Reply 146 of 379
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »

Communicating with people.

I guess you're a VZW customer.
  • Reply 147 of 379

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It should be easy to make a work around.

Samsung would be off the hook.

If the patent were specific, that wouldn't be a problem.

Consider Swipe to Unlock. Nifty feature - does it deserve a 20 year monopoly? I don't think so. Trademarks stop people from blatantly copying it, and the western market anyway does not like knockoffs. The views are very different - on the Nexus, you swipe right from the middle to unlock, left to turn on the camera, with Apple, it's the left to right motion it has always been. Apple contests that all swiping is an infringement - not just right to left, but even in a circle or some pattern. They also consider a tap to be a zero length swipe. So tapping on the phone to unlock is also out of the question. So how do you work around this? You could put a physical unlock button on the device, but Apple has (as they claim) a monopoly on unlocking a phone via the touchscreen. And this is in addition to trademark laws that protect them further.

Everyone has these garbage patents, and it makes me pretty sad to see a company that I really love going down this route of suing competitors over these trivial software patents, which is something that I am morally very opposed to. I'm not saying that I'm going to boycott Apple, or that I'll stop using their products or developing software for their hardware, but it just is disappointing. The world is a little bit of a darker place because of it.

This isn't a problem with Apple's patents in particular, it's a problem with all software patents. Apple and Google are both very close to my heart though, which is why this bothers me even more.

• Reply 148 of 379

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I headed over to Engadget for a few laughs, a site which I rarely visit anymore, because the comment sections are infested with ignorant trash and human garbage, but it was pretty funny and also pretty predictable to read some of the whiny and hateful comments being made by the butthurt Fandroids there. Hopefully there are more bans and injunctions coming in the future, it makes me feel good to see other ignorant people mad.

Thank you for so eloquently stating the main reason why I visit this site anymore.

• Reply 149 of 379

Quote:

I headed over to Engadget for a few laughs, a site which I rarely visit anymore, because the comment sections are infested with ignorant trash and human garbage, but it was pretty funny and also pretty predictable to read some of the whiny and hateful comments being made by the butthurt Fandroids there. Hopefully there are more bans and injunctions coming in the future, it makes me feel good to see other ignorant people mad.

Thank you for so eloquently stating the main reason why I read the comments on this site!

• Reply 150 of 379
    drealoth wrote: »
    If the patent were specific, that wouldn't be a problem.

Consider Swipe to Unlock. Nifty feature - does it deserve a 20 year monopoly? I don't think so. Trademarks stop people from blatantly copying it, and the western market anyway does not like knockoffs. The views are very different - on the Nexus, you swipe right from the middle to unlock, left to turn on the camera, with Apple, it's the left to right motion it has always been. Apple contests that all swiping is an infringement - not just right to left, but even in a circle or some pattern.

Apple can say whatever they want. In the end, it comes down to what the issued patent says. So if you're a phone designer, you have to read the patent before using the swipe to unlock to make sure you're not infringing.
    drealoth wrote: »
    They also consider a tap to be a zero length swipe.

Really? How about some evidence.
  • Reply 151 of 379
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View PostReally? How about some evidence.

Yes really Jr.

It was pretty widely reported at the time , and mentioned here several times. I think you'll even find an article dedicated to it here at AI, but not completely certain. I'm very surprised you weren't aware of it, being so interested in legal issues and such.

To quote via Gigaom:

"Apple’s .. argument is that “a tap is a zero-length swipe.” That’s silly (replied Judge Posner).  It’s like saying that a point is a zero-length line."

The additional argument against it was that since even Apple recognizes a distinction between a swipe and a tap then they cannot be one  and the same.

• Reply 152 of 379
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Yes really Jr.
    It was pretty widely reported at the time , and mentioned here several times. I think you'll even find an article dedicated to it here at AI, but not completely certain. I'm very surprised you weren't aware of it, being so interested in legal issues and such.

To quote:
    <span style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;line-height:26px;">"Apple’s .. argument is that “a tap is a zero-length swipe.” </span>
    <strong style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;font-size:16px;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;line-height:26px;">That’s silly</strong>
    <span style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;line-height:26px;">.  It’s like saying that a point is a zero-length line."(reply by Judge Posner).</span>

A point being a zero-length line looks accurate to me. You need points for a line but what if I say those two points are the same location?

That said, I see a swipe as an action that involves motion across the touchscreen plane which means it's, by definition, not a tap.
  • Reply 153 of 379
    At the end of the day, all companies are using any means at their disposal to achieve market dominance. There is no doubt that Apple created the modern version of the SmartPhone. There is also no doubt they build upon the ideas of others and even adopt some outright. Similarly, there is no doubt that a large amount of hardware component innovation comes from Samsung and Apple is a large customer.

Apple competes with innovation, network effects from their ecosystem, content deals, supplier agreements, etc., and no surprise, with patents also. Samsung competes similarly. But, Apple has been very clever in their aproach to patents. We have a long war going forward and Apple is in the most enviable position. The legal system worldwide is approaching many issues here for the first time. I suspect there will be many unanticipated twists and turns. The learnings on what is enforceable and what is not are surely being used within Apple to guide their patenting policies going forward with innovations yet unseen in the market. I can only see Apple's hand in regards to patents getting stronger. With the long delays between filing and issuance, I think the next decade will be awash with patent wars. I doubt legal reform will be able to catch the rate of innovative legal approaches Apple will pursue.

But remember, this is just one form of their war. They are still winning today mostly through innovation, network effects, supply chain expertise, developer loyalty, etc. Apple is firing on all cylinders.
  • Reply 154 of 379
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think that's just an assumption that's no longer true. Outside of the search space they actually have thousands of patents, some reportedly targeting Apple directly including specific IBM transfers.

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2011/08/guest-post-google-is-packing-heat-with-sights-on-apple-1.html

http://www.seobythesea.com/2012/01/ibm-assigns-patent-filings-to-google/#more-7107

They own patents for computer architecture, encryption, networking, multi-thread processing, 3-dimensional modeling.  Others are in the area of fiber-optics, the Google Glasses project, self-driving cars, voice search, audio and video. They've cherry-picked network patents and data center patents among others from HP, a few thousand more hand-selected IBM patents, even IP from "patent-troll" MOSAID. No doubt that if Google wanted to go on offense they could make quite a commotion at the minimum.  Even in the search space where they've played and innovated for years they've not sued any competitor even tho it's clear they have IP to do so.

Every comment they've made in the past says that's not what they're about, and their actions to date have mirrored that attitude. That's the way I see it at least. It's not that they can't sue, lacking IP of their own. IMO, it's that they've made a policy decision not to.

That's all what I was referring to in my second sentence:   

Quote:

Just about everything they have outside of the search space is bought after the fact or just hoping to not get sued over.

And it is very debatable as to whether the patents they purchased will be actually useful in a direct fashion.  IBM wasn't selling the crown jewels, they were just selling patents that they saw no means to adequately monetize as IBM.  That would include patents that could be licensed, not just used for IBM production.  So Google buying that stuff looks like either desperation or basic foundation building that won't help for many years when derivative stuff can actually be built based on the bought stuff.

As for Google's comment, that has turned into a bald-faced lie. They hide behind the technicality that Google did not file the lawsuits, but they explicitly controlled Moto Mobilities ability to file lawsuits and transferred several patents to partners that were immediately used to sue Apple.  I consider that patently deceptive, and not the kind of corporate behavior that fits with their public statements.

• Reply 155 of 379
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Yes really Jr.

To quote via Gigaom:
    <span style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;line-height:26px;">"Apple’s .. argument is that “a tap is a zero-length swipe.” </span>
    <strong style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;font-size:16px;vertical-align:baseline;font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;line-height:26px;">That’s silly</strong>
    (replied Judge Posner)<span style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;line-height:26px;">.  It’s like saying that a point is a zero-length line."</span>

[SIZE=12px]<span style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;line-height:26px;">The additional argument against it was that since even Apple recognizes a distinction between a swipe and a tap then they cannot be one  and the same.</span>
    [/SIZE]

It that quote is accurate (and hearsay from sources like GigaOm frequently isn't), then it was a stupid thing for Apple to say. A line is, by definition, a two dimensional object.

ETA: My mistake (as pointed out by JerryTroll). A line is, of course, a one dimensional object. In any event, what I'm saying is still valid - a point is not a line because a line, by definition, extends to infinity in both directions.
  • Reply 156 of 379

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Why do people equate writing checks as innovation? Apple didn't invent Siri, develop or have anything to do with it. They wrote a check for it. Smart, very, innovative, not very.

So what do you call this then?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Google

Twentynine (29) since Jauary 2011.

Apple has bought exactly three (3) companies in the same timeframe.

• Reply 157 of 379
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

If Google owns intellectual property that is being infringed and it is not utilizing the courts to protect it, its corporate officers are failing their fiduciary duty to

GOOG shareholders.  Also, the implication that Google is somehow altruistic by not filing lawsuits in its own name is unlikely correct.  It is more like that

they understand that they are living in the most fragile of glass houses, with regard to IP theft, and realize it would not be in their interest to throw stones (at

least without wearing a disguise).

• Reply 158 of 379
    jingersjingers Posts: 8member

Quote:

Of course I'm talking about online only.

I'm not going to assault some random person on the street for using an Android phone, lol. When I'm on the subway, I usually just pity the people who I see using non-Apple phones. 

Thank you for your pity but I prefer to stand out than be lost in the crowd!  Proud owner of a Google Galaxy Nexus (my first ever smartphone) and soon to be owner of a Nexus 7 and ASUS TF700.  Vive la difference!

• Reply 159 of 379
    mj4ev3rmj4ev3r Posts: 99member

Competition is good ONLY if the rival innovates and designs their own products and NOT there to COPY and imitate--technology then moves forward!  

Unfortunately Samesung is known for literally copying Apple's products, thus the rationale for all these patent wars against the inferior copycat!

• Reply 160 of 379
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    A point being a zero-length line looks accurate to me. You need points for a line but what if I say those two points are the same location?
    That said, I see a swipe as an action that involves motion across the touchscreen plane which means it's, by definition, not a tap.

I agree, that in terms of programming, a tap is a zero length swipe although explaining this concept to non-programmers is likely challenging.