Samsung Galaxy Note II rumored to get even bigger with 5.5" display

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 239
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    idave wrote: »
    Ok, half the time you wear a jacket and the other half you wear shorts with deep pockets! Why does it need to fit a pocket to be more portable, light and easy to handle? Why do I continue to post here? :lol:

Fine if you get to wear shorts at work. The point is it is just as portable in most real world conditions as a regular iPad. It would not be a true hands free carrying device without some compensation. Casually in pants no jacket you'll carry the thing around in your hand just as you would an iPad looking like a tool.
  • Reply 222 of 239

Can't wait to see the new samsung galaxy with 5.5 display. Really amazing if that big display is used. I can surf anything on it on big screen. Thanks for the info.

• Reply 223 of 239
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Ok, half the time you wear a jacket and the other half you wear shorts with deep pockets! Why does it need to fit a pocket to be more portable, light and easy to handle? Why do I continue to post here? image

Hey... I'm doing my best to warn people.

You do not get to have a choice. It is not up to you to say whether you like one size over another. You must have a really really good reason. Personal preference isn't good enough. While we're at it we're going to ban the colors yellow, green and blue. There are enough other colors and yellow, green and blue aren't necessary. We're also going to do away with Fords, Chryslers, Hondas and Subarus... too many choices already. Get ready because next week we are going to do away with back pockets and size small in clothes. The week after that we're going to do away with all but 3 styles of shoes. To hell with personal preference. One size, color, shoe, car fits all.

imageimageimage

• Reply 224 of 239
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    Hey... I'm doing my best to warn people.

You do not get to have a choice. It is not up to you to say whether you like one size over another. You must have a really really good reason. Personal preference isn't good enough. While we're at it we're going to ban the colors yellow, green and blue. There are enough other colors and yellow, green and blue aren't necessary. We're also going to do away with Fords, Chryslers, Hondas and Subarus... too many choices already. Get ready because next week we are going to do away with back pockets and size small in clothes. The week after that we're going to do away with all but 3 styles of shoes. To hell with personal preference. One size, color, shoe, car fits all.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And you clearly out of arguments. Lol!!!!

When it is raining, or cold and you have a jacket, when you are wearing a suit to church or work, or cargo shorts to the beach, when your wife will carry it in her purse for you, you too, will be able to take a tablet where no iPad had ever dreamed of going before!!! Because when you are on the go, and you still have a Internet connected iPhone with all your apps in sync you just won't be able to live without the nearly identical experience on two YES TWO devices!!! Because yes, something the size of the notebook you had in high school is now just too damn bulky to bring with you.

Yes America, it weighs ounces less and is less usefull for productivity, unless you also buy the Bluetooth keyboard. No, it isn't a phone, but you'll have lots of room in your pants pocket to still carry your phone because the tablet won't fit there anyway!

And if the Flash you thought you needed was still relevant for the "full web" you can use iSwifter because there is no iPhone app anyway.

The ladies will stand back in awe as you whip out your new "seven inch" as you show them how awesome Flipboard is.

all the things you bitched about the iPad not doing well? Well congratulations this will be even worse than that! But wait, there is more!!!

How much would you expect to pay for this modern compromise??!!! $100? $200?!!

Nope $300!!!!!! Yes!, that's right! $100 less than a full size iPad!!!!

But don't take our word for it, let's listen to some customers!!

"I used to think the original iPad was too big and heavy, I could never get it out of the house, I needed a bag or I had to lug the beast around in my bare hand. But when I took just my iPhone it was too little. Even though I still need my phone with me the new iPad is JUST RIGHT! THANKS NEW SMALLER iPAD!!!" -- Goldielocks

"All I know is I could feel that stupid heavy and huge iPad diggin in my back all the time when I carried it around in my backpack. No matter how many books I stuffed in that thing I could still feel it!! THANKS NEW MAGICALLY SMALL iPAD!!!"--- The Princess and the Pea
  • Reply 225 of 239
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Heavens to betsy…

I imagine that with the introduction of the next iPhone, all matters in this regard will be cleared up. Meaning, of course, only one matter, the only matter that matters; Apple's take on the situation.
  • Reply 226 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Heavens to betsy…

I imagine that with the introduction of the next iPhone, all matters in this regard will be cleared up. Meaning, of course, only one matter, the only matter that matters; Apple's take on the situation.

This has nothing to do with iPhones.

(other than the fact that someone was silly enough to put it in the iPhone forum)

• Reply 227 of 239
    This has nothing to do with iPhones.

But of course. "This matter" in my post meaning that of the smaller iPad. I'm following the context.
    [SIZE=9px](other than the fact that someone was silly enough to put it in the iPhone forum)[/SIZE]

Our bot has been hiccuping since Huddler. If you see something misplaced (or if you see seven reposts…), flag the AI post and we'll move it where it belongs (and then I'll shoot a message to the higher-ups to check on what's happening).

As for the thread having nothing to do with iPhones, I'll do you one better: there's no sense in it being on this website at all.
  • Reply 228 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But of course. "This matter" in my post meaning that of the smaller iPad. I'm following the context.

You're nothing if not consistent.

• Reply 229 of 239
    You're nothing if not consistent.

More often than not, in more ways than one, I feel much more like nothing. ?

That's not just the time of day talking. :lol:
  • Reply 230 of 239
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not so sure the whole "too big to be a phone" is really a valid argument.  I see a lot of people using iPhones and it seems a great deal of them don't hold it or talk into it in the same way as a typical or "regular" phone.  It's not just Android phones because they are big.  A lot of folks hold the iPhone in their hand like a small pizza and whisper into the microphone hole or the attached microphone on the speaker cable.  A lot of folks, put it on the table on speaker mode also.  

Maybe the idea that a "phone" has to be something you hold in one hand, and put up to your head so the speaker and microphone holes line up, is the thing that's passé.  

It's like everyone always says that you shouldn't take a picture with an iPad because .... ?  

Well, they never really say why, just that it "isn't done," or some such thing.  

Maybe time moves on, and maybe we should adjust what we think of as "normal" instead of laughing at people that are essentially innovating new ways to use a phone-type device.  Maybe the phone itself is being redefined at this moment in history?  Seems kind of likely to me.  

If Apple comes out with the iPad mini for instance, I will probably get one and it would seem likely it would replace my iPhone as well as my current iPad.  That means when I get that single phone call a month or so that I typically get, I will have to talk into my iPad, so I will be a "fool" also.  I don't think I'll feel like a fool though, and I think those calling me one would be the real fools.  

I bet half the people that think of these as not "real" or "proper" phones probably have that old-timey 'ringing phone' ringtone on theirs and think that's cool also.  :-/

WIth all due respect to you, considering the fact that you get 'a phone call a month' , I think your entire post can be considered utterly and completely irrelevant. I'm not sure how to be more clear, but the vast, vast majority of people that own phones get many more calls than that, and most to the tune of several phone calls a day. I hate talking on the phone, and talk less and get less calls than most people I know, yet my calls still number in the 10-15/day at LEAST. The fact that you wouldn't mind a tablet for a phone is because you don't even NEED a phone apparently, and a minor detail like not being able to fit a tablet in your pocket is apparently not even an issue for you, although it would be an issue for 99.9% of people that actually need and use phones. Yes, you will look like a fool talking into your iPad while holding it up to your head. It has nothing to do with not being used to something, but because it looks ridiculous as it is totally impractical. 

• Reply 231 of 239
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

I had a look at the Galaxy Note today at Target. It's a little bigger than I thought it was. The Galaxy S III looks more suitable as a large phone that would fit in most any pocket. Screen sizes are 5.3 and 4.8 inches respectively.

• Reply 232 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDave View Post

I had a look at the Galaxy Note today at Target. It's a little bigger than I thought it was. The Galaxy S III looks more suitable as a large phone that would fit in most any pocket. Screen sizes are 5.3 and 4.8 inches respectively.

The Galaxy Note actually fits comfortably in any pocket... but I see that you've qualified that with, "suitable as a large phone".

Got it.

• Reply 233 of 239

Sumsung is copying Iphone mobile which is not good in business point of views. I have heard that Sumsung galaxy has been banned by American court for copying iphone mobile.

• Reply 234 of 239
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Look, to date Samsung have sold 6 million plus Galaxy notes. Well, if you're talking numbers, that's 6,000,000 * USD 550 = USD 3.3 Billion. 

It's certainly not super huge number, but it's no peanuts either. Samsung probably profited about USD 500 million from it. Since Samsung is a profit animal, much like Apple is, it will continue selling it until Galaxy Note's total profit declines substantially. These numbers suggest that there is a market for it, albeit it is much smaller than others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Everything you've stated is to paint the Note as unsuccessful for the market as a whole by comparing specific product sales to an entire market. You can do that to the iPhone to all handsets, too.

• Reply 235 of 239

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The Galaxy Note actually fits comfortably in any pocket... but I see that you've qualified that with, "suitable as a large phone".

Got it.

To say that it fits any pocket is like saying everyone has large pockets. Anyway, it fits most pockets, but not all. Just to be clear, I have plenty of shorts and pants that have pockets too small for the note. I'm sure it fits all your pockets though, from that stance.

• Reply 236 of 239

Samsung's successor to the Galaxy Note is expected to be unveiled in August at the IFA consumer electronics trade show in Germany. MK Business News reports that the Galaxy Note II will be unveiled at the show, with a launch date rumored for October. We'd previously heard that the Note II may include a quad-core processor and 12 megapixel camera, but MK Business News claims the new model will also feature a 5.5-inch display — up from the 5.3-inch screen found in the existing Note.

• Reply 237 of 239
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

The Note is simply for a buyer that wants a bigger screen than an iPhone. 

I have a Galaxy S III. HUGE screen. Loving it. Of course, I have crappy eyes. Beyond all the other differences from Android and iPhone, one of them is that I am not about to walk around with my phone 2 inches from my eyes! People that got a Note want a huge screen. 

• Reply 238 of 239

but I think it is the right way to bigger market share. Some people do need a big screen phone instead of 2 gadgets - both tablet and a cell, kinda burden

• Reply 239 of 239

It is good to hear that samsung is going to release the galaxy note 2 with 5.5 inches screen but that could not favour every one because bigger displays cannot be carried easily. The smart phones should be handled with the one hand and that shows the easy operation other wise it would look like a tablet.