Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: AirPlay Mirroring

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    munas wrote: »
    Thank you. I was hoping for something like "officially - not, but if you ..... it works" :)

Believe me, so am I!
  • Reply 62 of 117
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    If you drive your car faster than the speed of light, what happens when you turn the headlights on?
    Blind yourself and crash?
  • Reply 63 of 117
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    If you drive your car faster than the speed of light, what happens when you turn the headlights on?
    Blind yourself and crash?

I love talk of tachyons, but did you mean it for a different thread? :lol:
  • Reply 64 of 117
    I love talk of tachyons, but did you mean it for a different thread? :lol:
    Nah.
    Soli and Eluard were going off a bit so thought I'd nudge it a bit to to help derail it. ;)
  • Reply 65 of 117
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panu View Post

Why do people call this "mirroring" when it doesn't reverse right and left like a mirror? Makes no sense to me.

Apple is usually better with its terminology ("logic board" instead of "mommy board," and "restart" instead of "put on new boots.") In fact, I had to switch to the Mac because Windows made me put new boots on the computer so often that I got in trouble for impersonating a shoe salesman.

Maybe geeks never look in mirrors and don't know from personal experience how they work. Come to think of it, from the way some geeks look, that might be true.

Perhaps you weren't aware, but the word mirror is both a noun and verb. As a noun one could say,  "he broke the mirror." You could also use mirror as a noun by saying something like, " the boy's allegiance to the king was a mirror of the boy's father." As a verb one could say,  "the politician's views mirrored those of his supporters." A synonym for mirror either as a noun or verb could be the word  copy. 

So the term mirroring seems correct when used to replace copy. 

• Reply 66 of 117
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Thank goodness someone got this right.  I read through the entire thread thinking how absolutely sideways the discussion of the word "mirror" had gone!

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Perhaps you weren't aware, but the word mirror is both a noun and verb. As a noun one could say,  "he broke the mirror." You could also use mirror as a noun by saying something like, " the boy's allegiance to the king was a mirror of the boy's father." As a verb one could say,  "the politician's views mirrored those of his supporters." A synonym for mirror either as a noun or verb could be the word  copy. 

So the term mirroring seems correct when used to replace copy. 

• Reply 67 of 117
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

That limitation is nonsense... you can just get a wireless HD usb Kit - we have 2 at the office (wireless to 40inch samsung HDTV) and it works on everything above a c2D 2.4 in our experience. And it was 100 dollars from our Tech advisors.

Can you give a reference brand/model or URL or something?  I spent quite a bit of time trying to push my MBP C2D display to a large-screen display via a variety of cables and such, but ultimately gave up.  The big-screen does not have HDMI, but it does have component, and I don't really care if I'm pushing out less than HD quality, I just want to be able to play video content from my laptop to the TV.  It's primarily a digital->analog issue, but I never found a reasonably cheap/easy solution. Like something I could pick up at Fry's.

• Reply 68 of 117

Screw you Apple! 

When you walk in to Apple store each item there is the LATEST, BEST, most REVOLUTIONARY EVER, two years later you are told by the same company - it is an old crap that not even screen mirroring will work on that! 

For those of you who want to screen mirror the "ancient" MacBook Pro 2010 download "AirParrot" software (demo, full version for $10 or torrent) and VLT player - Free. 

And guess what? It works 100% even on the old Macbook Pro. 

• Reply 69 of 117
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, this could take… some time. Does anyone know why Spotlight refuses to actually search by file types? image Spotlight never has liked searching in the System folder at all…

Don't search for kind:kext, search for name:kext.

• Reply 70 of 117
    sc54321sc54321 Posts: 54member

Cannot understand how an ipod touch can pull off airplay mirroring and yet a laptop with core i7 2.66 doesn't have the power to do it... 

So will Apple disable airplay mirroring / streaming if your laptop doesn't meet the requirements? 

• Reply 71 of 117
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    blah64 wrote: »
    Can you give a reference brand/model or URL or something?  I spent quite a bit of time trying to push my MBP C2D display to a large-screen display via a variety of cables and such, but ultimately gave up.  The big-screen does not have HDMI, but it does have component, and I don't really care if I'm pushing out less than HD quality, I just want to be able to play video content from my laptop to the TV.  It's primarily a digital->analog issue, but I never found a reasonably cheap/easy solution. Like something I could pick up at Fry's.

Monoprice will likely be your best bet...

Get a inexpensive mini display portl cable and then use this hdmi to component adapter...

Total cost should be under 50 bucks...

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2
  • Reply 72 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioinside View Post

Perhaps not "easy", but Rogue Amoeba's AirFoil and AirFoil Speakers tools have been offering audio streaming from any app to AirTunes/AirPlay compatible devices - including other Macs, Windows machines and iOS devices - for years.  I hope this isn't considered Mt Lion's "killer" feature.

Yeah but Rogue Amoeba's ain't  very stable and not compatible with Airport Express. We have to use their apps which is limited at times.

• Reply 73 of 117
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    So much for backward compatible.
  • Reply 74 of 117
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Screw you Apple! 
    When you walk in to Apple store each item there is the LATEST, BEST, most REVOLUTIONARY EVER, two years later you are told by the same company - it is an old crap that not even screen mirroring will work on that! 

For those of you who want to screen mirror the "ancient" MacBook Pro 2010 download "AirParrot" software (demo, full version for $10 or torrent) and VLT player - Free. 
    And guess what? It works 100% even on the old Macbook Pro. 

Thank u for this. Tire of the same old crApple.
  • Reply 75 of 117

Wow!  A great article by DED!

It is refreshing to read such a well-researched and well-written article!

• Reply 76 of 117
    For those of you who want to screen mirror the "ancient" MacBook Pro 2010 download "AirParrot" software (demo, full version for $10 or torrent) and VLT player - free
    and there ya' go. That explains everything.
  • Reply 77 of 117
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

From the Air Parrot FAQ:

• Q: When I use AirParrot I notice high CPU Usage/Excess Heat/Running Fans.

• A: Live video encoding is a hardware intensive task. On older machines this may push the hardware enough to kick on the fans. Try using a lower resolution, or change to the 1280x720 or 1920x1080 resolution to drastically reduce the CPU load on AirParrot.

This provides some support for Apple's stance that Airplay mirroring would push the hardware too hard on older Macs. It's also possible that Apple could add support for older Macs at some point in the future, just as they added support for the Lion recovery partition to older Macs after Lion was released.

• Reply 78 of 117
    chabig wrote: »
    This provides some support for Apple's stance that Airplay mirroring would push the hardware too hard on older Macs. It's also possible that Apple could add support for older Macs at some point in the future, just as they added support for the Lion recovery partition to older Macs after Lion was released.

If a first-gen iPad can do it, I would think the entirety of Mountain Lion-capable Macs will have no trouble whatsoever, particularly since they can all drive at least one external display connected via wire. I would imagine any third-party software's troubles stem from it being third-party software.
  • Reply 79 of 117
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

This was one of the features that I was really looking forward to, because Apple has not bothered to release an app store for the Apple TV we are currently stuck with either Netflix or iTunes movies.

With this feature I can load up BBC iPlayer on my iMac and hey presto it's there...... or at least it would be there except Apple seems to think that my Mid 2010 Quad Core i5 iMac with 16GB of ram and and  1GB Video card cannot handle it!

No it's not going to make me leave Apple, but they certainly have a very upset and annoyed customer here. 

Recently Apple has become far too greedy and it is going to bite them in the ass in the long run.

• Reply 80 of 117
    saarek wrote: »
    …because Apple has not bothered to release an app store for the Apple TV…

Maybe because they realize it's a dumb idea.
    Recently Apple has become far too greedy and it is going to bite them in the ass in the long run.

Sure they have. I'm pretty sure Apple has a grander plan in store here.