Apple to offer iCloud.com email addresses with iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    charlituna wrote: »
    …there are likely all kinds of weird security things set up on that domain.

They have the strongest e-mail filter in the world applied to it. You can type whatever you like, but it automatically edits your messages if you post something revealing.

So Steve Jobs? He always answered us all truthfully and accurately on every aspect of unreleased software we asked about.

It just filtered to "No."
  • Reply 42 of 64
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member

I'd love to be able to have an Apple ID that isn't tied to a decade-old email address...

• Reply 43 of 64

I don't know what the fuss is about. I've had my @mac.com address since about 1992 and still use it today. As a MobileMe customer, an additional address, @me.com, was available for me to use, which I have not. I transferred everything from MobileMe to iCloud with no issues. It is my belief that @iCloud.com will be simply an additional address for us old timers, and thereby nothing to worry about. It would not make good business sense for Apple to pull our email addresses out from under us, as so many have a lot invested in stationery, web pages, marketing materials, and other resources.

However, for stability's sake, I do like the idea of my own domain name. I think I may look into that just in case. An @iCloud.com address is just lame.

• Reply 44 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple.com is their internal addresses. No way will they move that to the public As there are likely all kinds of weird security things set up on that domain.

Of course... it was a joke ;)

• Reply 45 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Boy I hope this isn't true and if so Apple better let me keep .Me. I want my email service to be reliable and it constantly changing names is a step in the wrong direction. Further, why would I want to go from the three letter suffix .mac or to the  even better  two letter suffix .me to the six letter suffix .iCloud? Answer: I don't.  

I gave Apple a chance coming back from Gmail after the whole Mobile Me flub. I will be switching again if I have to tell people a new suffix again. 

• Reply 46 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I am not a fan of this! I assume my feelings are already expressed by other regulars in this thread.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    rayconraycon Posts: 33member

Even after MobileMe, I've continued to use my .mac address.  It still works, and I have the option to use either, with both coming in to the same mailbox in Mail. The only problem has come when I've used .me on a website and I try to login with .mac. While Apple realizes it's the same address, no one else does. It would be one PITA if I had to go and change my email address everywhere.

• Reply 48 of 64
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

my apple ID is @mac still but i've changed it so its linked to another email account so i think the apple ID is just the username for the account & doesn't have to be the actual email address.

• Reply 49 of 64
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    I have ever since they were first available and been very happy with them by enlarge. They all still work fine.

Huge +1 from me.

Been using a dot Mac address since they were first available and it has always been stable and reliable. Never cared much for dot me and only mildly interested in dot iCloud so hopefully the dot Mac will live on forever!
  • Reply 50 of 64

I hope they give me the option of completely changing the address that I used previously on my "@me" account! I made that one way too long. I want my iCloud one to be shorter. 

• Reply 51 of 64
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I don't know what the fuss is about. I've had my @mac.com address since about 1992 and ...

You're off by a decade.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If you user name is john.smith, then in settings you see [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] - and for all three you can choose to make them "send and receive" or "receive only."

I would like an "off" option, in case my old .mac email is getting spam.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Create View Post

I've had my @mac.com address since about 1992 

Um, no, you haven't.

.tsooJ

• Reply 54 of 64

I totally agree, there are so many accounts that I have for iTunes, Developer, email addresses and the Apple Store, that I would love to have Apple create a UserID/email settings area where we could manage our relationship with Apple. 

Merging accounts would be great too. I don't know about some of you, but there was a time when we could use AOL ID for our Apple ID and that helped the proliferation of the splitting of purchases across Apple IDs. 

• Reply 55 of 64
    as far as professionalism goes, @me.com and @mac.com seem a lot more professional than @icloud.com in my opinion
  • Reply 56 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    ascii wrote: »
    If you user name is john.smith, then in settings you see [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] - and for all three you can choose to make them "send and receive" or "receive only."
    I would like an "off" option, in case my old .mac email is getting spam.

There is an off option. Well several variances really, delete, take off line or leave as be and simply remove from your Mail (as in it could be put back). Also you could have it forward to your preferred account such as the new iCloud then removed from Mail.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jeanfloza wrote: »
    I hope they give me the option of completely changing the address that I used previously on my "@me" account! I made that one way too long. I want my iCloud one to be shorter. 

It's an e-mail address. Just get a different one and stop using the other one. It's pretty simple

I want them to extend password length. I can't use my normal password with iCloud, of all things, because it's too long for the system.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Conforms to my own frustrating experience. I have tested it since iCloud, and it's the same set of issues, perhaps slightly worse. It's laggy, buggy, emails arrive/get sent much later than with Gmail, Yahoo (both of which I still have, for legacy reasons and inertia), etc.

I created yet another Apple ID for my iPhone to back it up because of the poor backup implementation in iTunes. (Long story) I am pretty sure that is all I will ever use it for though.

• Reply 59 of 64
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

I've had a DOT ME email address ([email protected]) for several years now, but can't use it with iCloud (without setting up a convoluted forwarding scheme) because iCloud doesn't support custom domains.  Forget the fact that Google and Microsoft have offered this FREE for years.  

GOOGLE: http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html

MICROSOFT: http://domains.live.com

And also forget the fact that as the iDevices gain in popularity, the available supply of useable iCloud email address will become scarce by only supporting their own domains.  It's hard to defend the whole "walled-garden" argument when Apple is so inflexible on something as basic as letting me easily use the email address I want.

• Reply 60 of 64

I have a @.mac account.  I completely ignored the whole @.me mess, and I am glad I did.  If Apple forces me out of @.mac, I will be switching my email, but it will not be to @icloud.com.  It will be to @google.com. ;

Please stop trying to use my email address (that I pay for!) as a marketing tool for your latest lame-brained attempt to catch up to Google Drive and Docs.

By the way, can someone please explain what iDisk/iWork offers that does not work much better with Drop Box?