Photos of alleged fully-assembled next-gen iPhone surface

Comments

• Reply 21 of 318
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

I still call bullshyt on several reasons:

1)  How many pictures did we see of the aboslutely-guaranteed-to-be-it-because-Jesus-himself-said-so iPhone5 prototype.. and we only got the 4S.  It was supposed to have a curved body & wider 4" screen.  Every blog/techsite/leak swore up & down the iPhone5 was coming in for sure in October 2011.  So much so, I watched the whole announcement and was absolutely sure the 5 was still going to show up after the 4S and look like this:

I think you are misremembering.  

There were no leaks of parts for an iPhone 5 as you describe, nor any pictures of same on any websites.  There was a lot of speculation and some very persistent usage of certain graphics (like the one you posted), which were clearly renders and not based on anything factual.  You are mistaking "this same image is on every website" with "this photograph is on every website." 

• Reply 22 of 318
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Which is hardly anyhting remotely ground-breaking/innovative and it's beginning to appear that there's a certain degree of complacency in the Apple design deparment lately.

Time for Apple to start to 'Think Different' again.

Except that actual factual data & common sense would tell you diffferently.  

How much has the styling of the iPhone changed in 5 years?  How much has the styling of the iPad changed in 3 years?  How much has the styling of the iMac changed in 4 years?  How much has the styling iPod changed over 10 years?  How much as the styling of the AppleTV changed in 5 years? How much as the styling of the Macbook Pro changed in 5 years? How much as the styling of the Macbook Air changed in 4 years?  How much has the styling of the Airport Extreme router changed in 7 years?

Apple doesnt completely redesign a device, because "DaHarder" from the internet says they need too.  And they definitely dont competely redesign a device because "everyone else has redesigned theirs".  They create a design that works incredibly well and they refine the living shyt outta it.  Dont believe me, read their history.  You want brand new styling that looks groundbreaking different.. then go buy another Android phone to add to your collection of now almost worthless older Android, Blackberry & Palm devices.  One of the reasons those devices have lost both value & interest so quickly.. is that theres always a "newer & better" version available literally next week.  Where as someone with an original iPad or iPhone 3GS.. can easily sell it over 3 years later for atleast $200 bucks.

As to what I believe Apple will actually announce this fall.  4G/LTE, 4" or bigger screen, NFC technology.  Those are the biggest 3 things happening right now, that consumers are truly unanimously craving.  A complete redesign is not a huge concern fro them and would be rather far down on the list.

• Reply 23 of 318
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So this allegedly is coming from a Japanese iPhone repair facility based on leaked parts from China and people say this looks legit? How would an Japanese iPhone repair facility get their hands on leaked parts from China?
  • Reply 24 of 318
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think you are misremembering.  

There were no leaks of parts for an iPhone 5 as you describe, nor any pictures of same on any websites.  There was a lot of speculation and some very persistent usage of certain graphics (like the one you posted), which were clearly renders and not based on anything factual.  You are mistaking "this same image is on every website" with "this photograph is on every website." 

Not sure what world you were living in last year this time, but there was leaked everything.  All the way down to the icons that supposedly changed in iTunes showing the wider phone and case makers actually selling the wider case designs.

As I said before.. the entire tech world was 110% sure the iPhone5 was going to look exactly like what I showed, before the iPhone4S was introduced.

• Reply 25 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I kind of agree.

Also, is that a blue tone?  How do you make stainless steel blue without affecting its conductivity?  Along that line, if the back is metal and presumably stainless steel, where are the separation points to provide two clear antennae?

The blue tint is bad photography.  The back is two toned because the majority of it is metal, but the top and bottom "stripes" are inlaid glass or ceramic.  The antennas are the top and bottom "loops" of metal as they were in the last model, separated from the main steel chassis by non-ferrous black bands as before.  The glass on the top and bottom back in combination with the antenna separators gives the antennas the separation they need from the metal backplate.  This makes for a "unibody" back piece but still keeps the antennas separate.  

• Reply 26 of 318
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member

If it does look like that then it will be christened as the iPhone 4S II by the media.  Does it really matter if the outside case doesn't look like some futuristic design as long as most of the improvements are internal?  I would still think it will sell in the tens of millions regardless of the relatively unchanged case design.  Do users really care about how it looks all that much and less about the iOS ecosystem?  I think some designs are keepers as long as they're ergonomically correct.  Like the Mac Pro design has been around for years and I never get tired of seeing it because I know it's based on function.  I really can't imagine that Apple consumers will demand their iPhones to look like the plasticky Samsung Galaxy S III.  I think the next iPhone should stay looking pretty much like past iPhones while using newer case materials and advanced internal components.  I'm more concerned about function over form.

This whole nonsense of judging retail products by some leaked photos coming from who-knows-where is just plain silly.

• Reply 27 of 318

"Photos alleged show fully-assembled next-gen iPhone"

...."or not."

That's how all of these articles should end, since no one really knows.

• Reply 28 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

As I said before.. the entire tech world was 110% sure the iPhone5 was going to look exactly like what I showed, before the iPhone4S was introduced.

As a computer technician and someone who posts here a lot and has for years (and therefore part of the "tech world"), I can easily disprove your assertion by simply saying that I disagree.  In fact I remember the design you showed (with the "rocker" style back) being roundly discredited on the only site I ever saw it mentioned on.  

Another discredited render that never really fooled anyone that was far more popular, would be the teardrop shaped one.  That one at least existed on several different sites and was posted many different times in lots of articles.  None of these were ever taken seriously, but if you are going to argue what you are, you'd be better off using the teardrop shaped model as an illustration than this other one.  

• Reply 29 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by maijojacob View Post

I don't think this will sell that well. Looks like the same thing. They should have thought of something else.

You don't think this will sell well huh.  LOL  Sorry for the laugh but, all due respect, that is a ridiculous take.

I think it looks great but then again I don't care about having the biggest screen or most megapixels or whatever.  Software is what really counts and Apple has been a leader in this regard and continues to be.  The 16x9 is fine with me, I'll be upgrading from my old iPhone 4 as soon as I'm able to.  

• Reply 30 of 318
    studentxstudentx Posts: 112member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

These look like the real deal. Hopefully this level of completion implies we'll see the new model sooner rather than later. Apple needs to hit a home run with the iPhone 5; Samsung has been (surprisingly, at least to me) outselling Apple 2:1 lately.

Outselling if you mean "shipped" vs. "sold". The press is full of idiots.

• Reply 31 of 318
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

There is nothing wrong with my iPhone 4S right now. I like the look of this design and I will appreciate LTE, iOS 6, and whatever else it has. It will be a nice step forward. I don't expect giant leaps every year.

• Reply 32 of 318
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Are you people freaking kidding me? Do you really think that after over a year of saying this that it means anything at all?

The beginning of the end is never evident until the end is near and everyone asks, "what happened?". I'll tell you, innovation died with Steve Jobs and if the iPhone 5 does look like this than that will be a true statement. This phone is ho-hum at best. Zero innovation. You can and cut and paste so long. You can only buy up so much tech and call it your own. There statements may not mean anything today but a few years from now they will. If you are wondering, de-Nile is a river in Egypt.
  • Reply 33 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you people freaking kidding me? Do you really think that after over a year of saying this that it means anything at all?

But it was on the internet! It has to be true!

• Reply 34 of 318
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    If it does look like that then it will be christened as the iPhone 4S II by the media. 

4SS ?
  • Reply 35 of 318
    Couple of things that make this fake are: 1) The microphone jack placement and 2) the thickness . You can tell this just by looking at the size of the device around the input jack for the microphone/headset. It is the same thickness as current models. Also the placement of that Jack on the bottom is not really not going to occur. I have to thing those holes for the microphone and the speaker are highly unlikely. Can you say "lint"?

Nine of it makes sense.
  • Reply 36 of 318
    studentx wrote: »
    Outselling if you mean "shipped" vs. "sold". The press is full of idiots.

Keep hanging on too your 5 year old argument, it will match your new 5 year old looking iPhone 5.
  • Reply 37 of 318
    You don't think this will sell well huh.  LOL  Sorry for the laugh but, all due respect, that is a ridiculous take.

I think it looks great but then again I don't care about having the biggest screen or most megapixels or whatever.  Software is what really counts and Apple has been a leader in this regard and continues to be.  The 16x9 is fine with me, I'll be upgrading from my old iPhone 4 as soon as I'm able to.  

Agreed, iSheep buy anything with Apple's name on it and Apple knows it. If this phone proves true, it proves Apple knows its customers. Why innovate, they buy anything.
  • Reply 38 of 318
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

...innovation died with Steve Jobs...

He died less than a year ago. It's too soon to make sweeping statements like that. iPod was released in 2001. iPhone in 2007 (six years later). iPad in 2010 (3 years later). Did you expect the next groundbreaking product in 2012, and the next in 2013?

• Reply 39 of 318
    jason98 wrote: »
    4SS ?

Then they will sue Chevy for using SS on their cars claiming it was their idea first.
  • Reply 40 of 318

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

If it does look like that then it will be christened as the iPhone 4S II by the media.  Does it really matter if the outside case doesn't look like some futuristic design as long as most of the improvements are internal?  I would still think it will sell in the tens of millions regardless of the relatively unchanged case design.  Do users really care about how it looks all that much and less about the iOS ecosystem?  I think some designs are keepers as long as they're ergonomically correct.  Like the Mac Pro design has been around for years and I never get tired of seeing it because I know it's based on function.  I really can't imagine that Apple consumers will demand their iPhones to look like the plasticky Samsung Galaxy S III.  I think the next iPhone should stay looking pretty much like past iPhones while using newer case materials and advanced internal components.  I'm more concerned about function over form.

This whole nonsense of judging retail products by some leaked photos coming from who-knows-where is just plain silly.

Never underestimate the "show-off factor" of a new phone. For some people, it is much more important to have a new design that you can impress your friends with than to have a phone that you actually like to use.