Apple expected to unveil next iPhone at September 12 event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes no sense.  If they did an 11 month cycle then in no time at all they would be releasing the iPhone in the summer instead of the Fall.  

I don't know where you live but would you rather queue up in Sept when the weather is still nice or Oct when it's getting colder?

Sept release gives them a few more weeks to get it in the shops before the holiday buying season and gets it into the shops at the start of the new college year.

• Reply 22 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Stop insulting our intelligence

LMAO

• Reply 23 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    You know what DaHarder meant. When exactly did Apple stop using the phrase "Think Different" as their corporate moto or did you forget about that part of their corporate history.

It was a slogan, like Diamonds Are Forever. Guess what? Diamonds will not last forever. Is Folgers really good to the last drop? It's not good on the first drop in my experience.

BTW, I believe that slogan came out at MacWorld in 1997 and it was soon after that at WWDC in 1997 that Jobs clarified is goal for Apple.

• (12m:16s)

If you're falling for a marketing slogan, especially one that was canned almost 15 years ago back in 1998, then you need to find out why you're holding onto to something as petty as a marketing slogan instead of focusing on the term philosophy and actions of a company, their employees and products.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I don't know where you live but would you rather queue up in Sept when the weather is still nice or Oct when it's getting colder?

Sept release gives them a few more weeks to get it in the shops before the holiday buying season and gets it into the shops at the start of the new college year.

I'd expect announce and pre-order on or about the 12th. Shipping/arrival in Daharder's basement/command center in early Oct; same goes for in store availability.

Oct is a fresh Quarter.

And it's golf in shorts till mid-December here.

Edit: Does Daharder's channel Cartman? "Mom!!!! Poop!!!!!!!!"
  • Reply 25 of 53
    gwmac wrote: »
    iPod touch sales have steadily declined and although a 4" touch with a faster CPU may revive sales to a degree, they really don'y impact iPhone buyers.

I'd buy a 128GB or 256GB touch. I just need more space - music alone above 100GB.
  • Reply 26 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'd buy a 128GB or 256GB touch. I just need more space - music alone above 100GB.

Good luck with that.  Or with Apple including an SD slot to make it expandable.

• Reply 27 of 53

Good luck with that.  Or with Apple including an SD slot to make it expandable.

Reckon I'll stick with The Classic[] then. Remember a year or so ago when its demise was predicted as a certainty?

Edit: Sorry for the double brackets. This new editor sucks harder than Daharder's trolling.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Replaced by the iPad 'Mini'?

We'll See...

When it does come out promise us that you will only buy one until you determine that is not fraught with problems and defects. Only then, if it is free of light leaks, manufacturing irregularities and software glitches should you purchase them for your multiple family members.

• Reply 29 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'd expect announce and pre-order on or about the 12th. Shipping/arrival in Daharder's basement/command center in early Oct; same goes for in store availability.

Oct is a fresh Quarter.

If people are holding off buying until the new iPhone is released they might want to get some of the sales into the Sept quarter to increase the numbers. That way when they make their earnings call in Oct they can report sales off to a flying start. Just a thought. 

• Reply 30 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It was a slogan, like Diamonds Are Forever. Guess what? Diamonds will not last forever. Is Folgers really good to the last drop? It's not good on the first drop in my experience.

BTW, I believe that slogan came out at MacWorld in 1997 and it was soon after that at WWDC in 1997 that Jobs clarified is goal for Apple.

• (12m:16s)

If you're falling for a marketing slogan, especially one that was canned almost 15 years ago back in 1998, then you need to find out why you're holding onto to something as petty as a marketing slogan instead of focusing on the term philosophy and actions of a company, their employees and products.

Why what's their moto today "We're not in it for the profit"

I honestly don't know how so many people can be so naive on this subject. I think you must have been brainwashed or something by following Apple for so long that you've lost all sense of reality.

I'm not making an anti-Apple statement. Just making the point that they are in it for the money just like every other company. You can still be in it for the money and make great products. Apple is no different to Bang & Olufsen or BMW or Rolls Royce. They all strive to build the best products but ultimately they are still looking to make a profit.

• Reply 31 of 53
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    christophb wrote: »

Oct is a fresh Quarter.

If people are holding off buying until the new iPhone is released they might want to get some of the sales into the Sept quarter to increase the numbers. That way when they make their earnings call in Oct they can report sales off to a flying start. Just a thought. 

Interesting thought. I wonder how much (if at all) companies adjust product releases to affect quarterly results.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    muppetry wrote: »
    Interesting thought. I wonder how much (if at all) companies adjust product releases to affect quarterly results.

Shipped = sold, even for Apple. I'd be surprised if one unit shipped before 10/1 00:00:00000000000000000001 NZST? But I'm just another guy on the interwebs.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    christophb wrote: »

Shipped = sold, even for Apple. I'd be surprised if one unit shipped before 10/1 00:00:00000000000000000001 NZST? But I'm just another guy on the interwebs.

I agree - it was more of a general question than just about this product launch.
  • Reply 34 of 53

Sales dip in September by the dozen or so people that read this site? The bulk of the consumership doesn't think in terms of dev or release cycles or what the Street starts and stops by. Quarters and fiscals are for the ANALysts and measurable periods.. Apple may pronounce they care about quality and design first...... but they also care about shareholders and perceived value as well. Tied for first, I say.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    I agree - it was more of a general question than just about this product launch.

Used to work for the (then) number one PC manufacturer on earth. Rumor had it they'd load up trucks and send them off one day only to have the return a few days later to unload. Oddly those send offs coincided with the last day of the quater or fiscal. Coincidence? I think NOT!!!!!
  • Reply 36 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    11thindian wrote: »
    Jim Dalrymple of THE LOOP just put the lock on this with usually curt, "Yep."

And yet given that we are still out six weeks out, even he could be wrong
  • Reply 37 of 53
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This makes no sense.  If they did an 11 month cycle then in no time at all they would be releasing the iPhone in the summer instead of the Fall.  

I suspect that is more what he is thinking. Personally I think they are going to stick with the fall.

As for the carries don't be shocked to see them moving to more like 22-24 months and no more of this going halfsies.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And yet given that we are still out six weeks out, even he could be wrong

And until we get the invites the Monday before the Wednesday before, everyone is wrong.

• Reply 39 of 53
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It's definitely a consideration for publically-listed companies.

• Reply 40 of 53
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And then it would be on top of the iPad and then in December and November when no products are typically launched.

I said last year that the Autumn release seems likely because the iPod demand is waning and they need a product for the holiday season. On top of that, Summer isn't a great time to launch most products. That said, if this rumoured $199 iPad Mini was on the table back then — which i don't think will happen at that price — then I would have stated that is an ideal wedge to prop up the drop in iPod sales for the holiday quarter as its cost is low enough.

Every 12 months around the Autumn or switch the iPad and iPhone so that the iPhone is in the Spring, but that would mean two Christmas seasons with the same iPhone unless they brought out a new model that could counter that view in the market. Still, I think that's unlikely.

I also feel that the iPad Mini will not be priced at $199 - that would just kill the iTouch. And killing the iTouch doesn't make sense to me either. Instead, I think they will either price it at $299 or they will drop the iTouch to $149 and price the iPad Mini at $249.