Apple Store now carries Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Why can't you connect a Firewire 400 device to an 800 port? it's only a speed difference, and there has to be arbitrary clocks that could be doubled, allowing communictation, right? I don't know too much about Firewire.

In practice, pretty much all FireWire 800 ports are backwards compatible, but it is not required. FireWire 400 and FireWire 800 use different signalling protocols (1394a and 1394b respectively), and there is a standard connector defined for 1394b-only ("beta only"), which has wider notches.

If you want to read up a bit on FireWire, the 1394 Trade Association has a tutorial [pdf] which is fairly light-weight and provides some useful insight.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Can I daisy chain my FireWire drives like before? Is there a limit to how many units I can link?
  • Reply 43 of 47
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Or an HDV/miniDV video camera.  A lot of people (myself included) have moved on to tapeless recording, but I still have an archive of tapes that I will want to access in the future.  

Update:  After seeing the adapter, it has a female FW800 port (I was thinking this was an adapter cable), so you can simply plug a 9-pin FW800 to 4 or 6 pin FW 400 cable into it and you're off to the races!

• Reply 44 of 47
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moustache View Post

Can I daisy chain my FireWire drives like before? Is there a limit to how many units I can link?

Yes, you'll be able to daisy chain FireWire drives from the Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter but for Macs with one Thunderbolt port you'll be using the only port.

IIRC, the max limit for daisy chaining FireWire is 63, and that should be the case with this adapter.

• Reply 45 of 47
    Thanks for the 800 to 400 conversion info! Like snortin Cuervo or a beagle hanging ten, "Whoa Dude, I didn't even know you could DO that!"
  • Reply 46 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Yes, you'll be able to daisy chain FireWire drives from the Thunderbolt->FireWire adapter but for Macs with one Thunderbolt port you'll be using the only port.

IIRC, the max limit for daisy chaining FireWire is 63, and that should be the case with this adapter.

That's great to hear.

Thankfully I have 2 Thunderbolt ports.

Ultimately, the other will be for my new tb drives in the near future.

• Reply 47 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

Thanks for the 800 to 400 conversion info! Like snortin Cuervo or a beagle hanging ten, "Whoa Dude, I didn't even know you could DO that!"

I have adaptors from FW400-800 with every drive I have bought for FW 800. I guess you can use the Thunderbolt to FW800 adaptor, then plug the FW800-400 adaptor for your FW400 drives.