More than $60,000 in "computers and personal items" stolen from Steve Jobs' home

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

For one thing burgled is used generally as an adjective and burglarize a verb.  -ize is a verb-forming suffix and makes a verb from the noun "Burglar", a thief.  Burgled is actually a back-formation and is used chiefly humourously, i.e. Dicken's line "a man of the burgling persuasion."

Also, your examples don't hold water because stolen is a past-participle of a verb and you can't verb-form a verb.  Ditto with thievery, which is the an abstract noun formed from another noun (thief), which is different from forming a verb from a concrete noun. Thieverization is a noun -> abstract noun -> verb -> noun again.   Very redundant and very different than burglarize

Yah! What he said! :)

• Reply 22 of 68
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igamogam View Post

Why say "burglarized" when you can use burgled? It's like saying "stolenized" instead of stolen or "thieverization" instead of thievery.

I feel as though I've been nit-picklarized...

or is it nit-pickled?

• Reply 23 of 68
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

A few things should be pointed out.  My reading of the news sites makes me think that this was a crime of opportunity more than anything.  Reportedly the criminal didn't know the owner and it isn't clear that the owners (Lorianne and her family) were living in the house since it has been undergoing renovations.  My theory is that the thief saw a house that had lots of construction going on and figured that the owners might not be home all the time.

• Reply 24 of 68
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I guess it was not a good idea to publicize the fact that Steve really did not lock the door on his house. I personally never understood with all his money why he choose to live where he did, but it does say a lot about him and the fact he was not trying to isolate himself from the world like most people with money try to do
    Actually, a lot of people with tons of money live is pretty "normal" neighborhoods here in Silicon Valley.

The whole Silicon Valley culture in general is relatively casual. Living in gated communities with security guards is the exception around here for rich people, not the norm. People move freely around here, particularly between companies (that's how Silicon Valley got started: guys going from Shockley to Fairchild to Intel to...). Non-compete clauses are basically unenforceable in the state of California.

Don't know why you think Steve lived in a neighborhood below his standards. Old Palo Alto is full of CEO and VC-types. Steve actually purchased two adjacent lots (both were designated historic) and merged them. The house is located in walking distance of some superb public schools.
  • Reply 25 of 68

Samsung was listed as a "Person of Interest" in this case.

• Reply 26 of 68
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

$60,000 worth of "computers and personal items," according to Flattery, who declined to say whether the items belonged to Jobs or one of his family members.

I am going to say these items belong to a family member.

• Reply 27 of 68
    [LIST=1]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [/LIST]
    I remember (from the book) that Steve Jobs could never find furniture that he really liked, so the house was sparcely furnished.
    I think I read that he had one designer coffee table in an otherwise empty living room.

Might explain why the theft only amounted to $60.000.

That probably WAS the coffee table.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    kent909 wrote: »
    What does it matter?

The family's assets are in a revocable living trust, pretty much invisible to the outside world.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    I'm surprised the house wasn't more secure.
  • Reply 30 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Somebody forgot to set the alarm.

There's an App for that...

• Reply 31 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

For one thing burgled is used generally as an adjective and burglarize a verb.  -ize is a verb-forming suffix and makes a verb from the noun "Burglar", a thief.  Burgled is actually a back-formation and is used chiefly humourously, i.e. Dicken's line "a man of the burgling persuasion."

Also, your examples don't hold water because stolen is a past-participle of a verb and you can't verb-form a verb.  Ditto with thievery, which is the an abstract noun formed from another noun (thief), which is different from forming a verb from a concrete noun. Thieverization is a noun -> abstract noun -> verb -> noun again.   Very redundant and very different than burglarize

Surely both spellings are verbs and adjectives depending on usage. The fact that you could replace the offending word with burgled (and variation thereof) merely confirms this, along with the predating Dickensian usage. That they are also synonyms hints that the word root-word was bastardised when someone could not remember the correct sound and so invented an even longer way to say the same thing out of ignorance.

Seeing burgled was in use for around 300 years before someone thought of burglarize in the late nineteenth century it does hint at a little dumbing-down across the ages and continents.

I’m actually "taking-the-piss" about the usage especially "stolenized" and "thieverization" and I’m well aware of the * “iZation” of English but it stumps me when people use “long-zised” words when there are already perfectly good ones that they can’t be bothered to learn or remember. Reactions bring to mind something I once heard about colonial cousins and irony. :-)

Mind you, I’m not a linguist and English is not my mother-tongue so I’m not certain about these things - but you have occupy your mind with something when you’re cleaning the bogs.

* Hmmmm… maybe I should patent that?
  • Reply 32 of 68
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

First result on Google search for "Kariem McFarlin" is this:

http://www.facebook.com/kariem.mcfarlin

Click on the facebook link to see his ugly mug.

It's gotta be the same dude as the scumbag burglar and lowlife criminal thief, unless there's more than one Kariem McFarlin who's also from Alameda.

The criminal seems to be associated with some hospitals including a children's hospital! What a lowlife!

Hopefully they lock this failure of a person up behind bars where he'll get what he deserves for being such a loser and criminal.

• Reply 33 of 68
    May that robber burn in hell for his actions against the greatest man to ever live.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

This is a great opportunity to use Remote Wipe.

• Reply 35 of 68
    Apple ][

That must be him (or close enough) lets march to his house and sort him out.
    I'll light the torches.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igamogam View Post

Why say "burglarized" when you can use burgled?

What's the problem?  It's a perfectly cromulent word.

• Reply 37 of 68
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoradala View Post

That must be him (or close enough) lets march to his house and sort him out.

I'll light the torches.

The dude's already been arrested, no need to march to his house. He'll get what's coming to him when he spends time in the slammer.

And yes, it is most likely him. Seems to be around same age, same name, same town, same state etc.

• Reply 38 of 68
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

And I would have said items were stolen from the home of Steve Jobs' family.

• Reply 39 of 68
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Steve's computer equipment is in a cave 2 miles below the ground protected by the Avengers and nuclear lasers. I'm not worried.

• Reply 40 of 68
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,113member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I dunno, Steve was rumored to be a bit of an egotist. He probably left most of his belongings to himself in his will.