Image of purported next-gen iPhone USB cable shows smaller dock connector

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    For god sakes Tim Cook, stop all the leaks!!! There are no surprises left of the iPhone 5. If there are no surprises why even bother hosting an announcement?  Perhaps that's your ultimate motive, you don't like to present in front of thousands so you're going to use leaks to make the announcements unnecessary?

What kind of doubling down on secrecy is this? Was that a joke?

Public speculation is just about the best marketing there is. And its free which makes it the best no matter how you look at it. But at the loss of a nice 'one more thing' at reveal time. The other unfortunate effect is that all the butterfly brains among us will instantly declare whatever is delivered a big fat FAIL because they already knew everything about it and were already dreaming up new (and impossible) devices. It is a pity because the surprises were nice. 

I'd love a bit more secrecy but I wonder how possible that is when you are ramping up to 4 million or so units per month with a ton of component suppliers involved.

• Reply 22 of 101
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is only a minor detail, and I've said this before, but I wish that Apple would make black cables. They obviously don't have to get rid of the white, clinical looking, made for women cables, just add black cables for those people who happen to have black iOS devices. White cables look out of place and annoying when plugged into my devices, most of which are black.

I bought a black third party iPad power extension cable a few months ago and it didn't even last a week, it was poorly made. When I buy my next iPad, I would like a black cable to be in the box. I very much doubt that that would happen, but a person can wish at least.

you can either buy a male to female usb extender cable and use it with the cable in the box. Or buy the 6ft/10ft cable in black and white from monoprice. Lifetime warranty.

• Reply 23 of 101
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member
    It's big on the pin side ( just as every dock connector should be) so other dock connectors or accesories can use the iPhone vertically, if it was small the iPhone would fall or it would break the inside of the dock... Great job apple! :) Smart thinking.
  • Reply 24 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

It's big on the pin side ( just as every dock connector should be) so other dock connectors or accesories can use the iPhone vertically, if it was small the iPhone would fall or it would break the inside of the dock...

That's one point about this whole thing I've never understood. Is there a single accessory out there that doesn't have some back support for the device? Whether the connector is wide/deep enough to hold up the device is completely irrelevant, as the docking area of the accessory itself is built to hold it up.

• Reply 25 of 101
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    jcc wrote: »
    For god sakes Tim Cook, stop all the leaks!!! There are no surprises left of the iPhone 5. If there are no surprises why even bother hosting an announcement?  Perhaps that's your ultimate motive, you don't like to present in front of thousands so you're going to use leaks to make the announcements unnecessary?

Yea... What 'he said' the reveal will be so underwhelming now that this got leaked!! I'm not even sure if I'll tune in for it...

Okay now for something I really mean, does the printing on the cable look like 'monoprice' it's fuzzy for sure but I've notice monoprice is going full on with branding just about everything they sell ...much to the chagrin of installers who don't want their customers in on their cheap source for all things cables and ... lots more now...

Link to normal charging cable...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083101&p_id=7863&seq=1&format=1#largeimage
  • Reply 26 of 101

Quote:

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Not reading the leaks and then watching the announcement will give you lots of surprises. You're just overly curious to read up on every possible leak so you won't be surprised, however for the average person, they will find out what the new iPhone is once it officially is revealed.

Maybe he has doubled down already, otherwise some of us would already be using them. (actually some of us are, oh wait, those were just some Samsungs I saw)

• Reply 27 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think that Apple has decided that the iconic white earbuds are an important part of their branding and since they are also very particular about the package design, having white earbuds and a black USB cable would be a jarring contrast. Perhaps someone makes a high quality black cable. I don't think the iPad comes with earbuds so maybe it makes sense there to have a black USB if the product is black.

I've been used to Apple's color policy ever since I bought a black Macbook when it came out. I never did like the white remote or white power supply cable that came with it. They charged a premium price for the black color, so it should at least have contained black accessories IMO. I agree that the white earbuds are iconic and instantly recognizable as Apple. I'm mostly talking about power supplies, power supply cables etc.

• Reply 28 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

you can either buy a male to female usb extender cable and use it with the cable in the box. Or buy the 6ft/10ft cable in black and white from monoprice. Lifetime warranty.

Look at his post. Made for women cables? I doubt he'd go anywhere near a female connector.

• Reply 29 of 101

Quote:

That's exactly where I bought my black extended cable. I didn't know that there was a lifetime warranty, so I guess I'll just send them the cable back, and hopefully they'll ship me a new one. The cable just basically split into two when I was disconnecting it from the ipad. The 30 pin connector came apart from the housing.

• Reply 30 of 101
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

For all you know there have been zero leaks on the new iPhone, iPad mini, TV, connector, etc...

What until they've been announced, and then judge.

Remember last year when we saw all those unibody iPhone 5 images?

• Reply 31 of 101
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Apple II wrote: »
    I've been used to Apple's color policy ever since I bought a black Macbook when it came out. I never did like the white remote or white power supply cable that came with it. They charged a premium price for the black color, so it should at least have contained black accessories IMO. I agree that the white earbuds are iconic and instantly recognizable as Apple. I'm mostly talking about power supplies, power supply cables etc.

I know it is not an option for you, but Samsung makes a black power supply that looks just like Apple's, only black.
  • Reply 32 of 101

The metal contact portion of the new connector needs to be longer because it is so much smaller.

If it were the same length, it would fall out too easily.  

• Reply 33 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I know it is not an option for you, but Samsung makes a black power supply that looks just like Apple's, only black.

I'm sure that they do, being the sneaky bastards that they are.

I'm all good with power supplies for my macbook at the moment. I now have two of them (white), since I forgot to bring my power supply last time I went on a foreign trip, and had to buy a brand new Apple power supply in some overpriced and overrated European country which I was visiting.

• Reply 34 of 101
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

This is only a minor detail, and I've said this before, but I wish that Apple would make black cables. They obviously don't have to get rid of the white, clinical looking, made for women cables. ...

And I stopped reading right there.  :-/

• Reply 35 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Maybe he has doubled down already, otherwise some of us would already be using them. (actually some of us are, oh wait, those were just some Samsungs I saw)

Think about it...this whole leak "business" is probably what got Samsung going on the dozens of designs they clearly had before the iPhone was announced. /s They had to know the Galaxy series was going to bite them in the ass so they threw a bunch of "prototypes" and "design studies" together to make it look like their design aesthetic was clearly moving in that direction and that the iPhone was nothing unique. But, hey, that's competition! Oh...wait...

Anyway I am very excited about this new connector...though it'll be another year before I can get an iPhone that has it (assuming this is the new connector). I worry a lot about breaking or even just slightly damaging the connector and the port when I'm charging my iPhone and I'm asleep. When my alarm goes off, I grab the phone sometimes a bit too forcefully forgetting it's plugged in. It looks like this should just easily slide out like a Magsafe connector.

• Reply 36 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by macslut View Post

For all you know there have been zero leaks on the new iPhone, iPad mini, TV, connector, etc...

What until they've been announced, and then judge.

Remember last year when we saw all those unibody iPhone 5 images?

This isn't quite the same.  

Those images last year were few, they all had the same source, and they were obvious renders (not pictures at all).  

This year we have seen multiple close-up photographs of every single component including the "unibody" frame.   We've even seen multiple variations on some of the parts.  

• Reply 37 of 101
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member

Quote:

That's exactly where I bought my black extended cable. I didn't know that there was a lifetime warranty, so I guess I'll just send them the cable back, and hopefully they'll ship me a new one. The cable just basically split into two when I was disconnecting it from the ipad. The 30 pin connector came apart from the housing.

Most times you don't even have to send back the cable. Just contact them and they'll resolve it quick.

• Reply 38 of 101

Quote:

Most times you don't even have to send back the cable. Just contact them and they'll resolve it quick.

Thanks, I'll do that.

• Reply 39 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Look at his post. Made for women cables? I doubt he'd go anywhere near a female connector.

He's probably one of those guys that's scared of using the white products for fear of being thought "less manly" as well.  

I always chuckle to myself when I see some guy using a black iPhone, knowing that at least half the time this is probably their main motivation for the choice.  

• Reply 40 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I always chuckle to myself when I see some guy using a black iPhone, knowing that at least half the time this is probably their main motivation for the choice.  

My mother refuses to buy a white one. She thinks the black one just looks all around better (combination of colors, cleanliness, etc.). image