Review: Google's Nexus 7 tablet with Android 4.1

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Keep in mind that there are hundreds of thousands more iOS apps than Android apps.

perhaps several years ago, but recent history suggests otherwise.

http://www.mobilestatistics.com/mobile-statistics/

http://www.mobilestatistics.com/mobile-sources

http://www.appbrain.com/stats/

• Reply 82 of 116

my first question related to this article  is an existential one: Why are you here? 

• Reply 83 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

I can't say I have a single phone game that doesn't scale perfectly with my Nexus 7. All of the below were bought on my Phone and all work without "tablet optimised" special versions that would require a separate purchase. A selection of some below:

Universal apps on iOS are super cool but am not a fan of sd and HD versions of the same app. I also openly agree there must be apps that scale like crap on the Nexus or are purely broken.

Any app that doesn't scale correctly on the Nexus 7 has not yet been optimized for Android 4.1 and will not scale correctly on any phone running 4.1. There were a lot of core level optimizations done to 4.1 and it messed up some apps that will be fixed shortly. Don't forget that 4.1 was released after iOS 6.0 but is already available to the public. It takes time to upgrade apps. Its more hidden in iOS because Apple holds a closed preview of their software to allow developers time.

• Reply 84 of 116

bad news: IF there really is an ipad mini, it will be just like comparisons of the current 10" inch crop of tablets. Apple will win in the smaller size market as well. Nexus 7 is a good low cost tablet but i imagine apples will be better. why should things change just because the size has changed? if they couldn't make an ipad killer at 10"...

• Reply 85 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by apple joy View Post

bad news: IF there really is an ipad mini, it will be just like comparisons of the current 10" inch crop of tablets. Apple will win in the smaller size market as well. Nexus 7 is a good low cost tablet but i imagine apples will be better. why should things change just because the size has changed? if they couldn't make an ipad killer at 10"...

That's not bad news. Competition is always a good thing. It all comes down to personal preference.

• Reply 86 of 116

Let me first give a big SHOUT OUT to all on this forum...it's (so far) been a pretty good balance of cynics and pro-apple perspectives and without too many rants/attacks.

Nexus7 vs. iPad Mini...here's a slightly different perspective based on GROUPS of users/audiences:

1. Casual eBook/web browser users: Nexus 7 really sounds like a winner for this category of users, especially at this price point.  This group also doesn't really need 4g/LTE, etc.  We all know that iPad Mini will match or more likely beat Nexus7 in terms of quality/features, but will iPad Mini's price point be low enough?  I am quite surprised at Google's ability to achieve quality at this cost, then again, they can afford to compromise on profit margin as trade off for ad/search market.

2. Home/office/family users:  this is by far the largest audience.  Many of these users already carry around a laptop or an iPad because they need not only entertainment value, but also productivity in a mobile environment.  Some of these users can't quite afford both, an iPad and a iPad Mini, so they'll choose between large/expensive or a smaller/cheaper version.  This is where iPad Mini's advantage of the larger app ecosystem, quality, 4g/LTE, and camera features will come into play.  I can see iPad Mini without 4g/LTE getting as low as $229, but I doubt it.  It may be as high as $299 with 4g/LTE.  Nexus7 is a welcomed challenger in this segment, but I think the "always-connected" 4G/LTE will prove to be an important iPad Mini feature for this group of users.

3. Professionals/Specialty users:  this can be a growing segment.  Productive uses of a HIGHLY mobile apparatus WILL find its way into society.  Think about inspectors, coaches, engineers, delivery/transportation, etc...anyone that has to leave the office to do work.  I respectfully disagree with Tallest.... IMO, the 7.85" smaller form factor is an appealing size and will very quickly catch on.  And for that matter, the iPad Mini will also need to be light.  Plastics may be a better material for this class of appliances.

In the end, Apple will still prevail in the tablet segment.  Apple's DNA may result in loss of market for Group #1, but will dominate in Group #s 2 and 3.  Cloud-based services is practically ubiquitous...and that means ALL form factors are important... the fight for each size, weight & placement options (including the home television) is on!

• Reply 87 of 116
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    galaxytab wrote: »

Angry birds phone version on Nexus 7. Click to enlarge

LL

Angry birds phone version on iPad 2 Click to enlarge

LL

Example of scaling.

LL

Total fud, You are right! /s

Are those screenshots taken on an iPad 2 or an iPad (spring 2012)?

The latter's retina display allows it to use the retina version of the phone app, as opposed to the 320pixel version. This makes it less pixelated when it is scaled.
  • Reply 88 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I really enjoyed all the erroneous and untrue statements reading the Android proponents comments about the Google Nexus 7.

The truth if anyone can consider Google Nexus 7 "buttery smooth" it is due to the use of a twelve core graphics processor.  Notably, the use of a twelve core graphics processor on a relatively small 7 inch screen with only 216 pixels per inch.

Interesting how "quality of apps" isn't a consideration of Android proponents because "it is too subjective."  No, you simply don't understand design and are unfamiliar with the requirements of a high quality user interface.

What's funny is that the Nexus 7's GPU is not 12-core in the same sense that the iPad's GPU is quad-core because they have fundamentally different designs.  Check reviews on Anandtech if you want the nitty gritty.  Even the GPU in the iPad 2 (not to mention the new iPad) can push more pixels than what is in the 7, so the buttery smoothness is not due to raw horsepower, especially when you consider the fact that the 7's screen has more pixels than that on the iPad 2.  It's also worth noting that 216 ppi is 81 ppi denser than the screen on the iPad 2 and only 51 ppi less dense than the screen on the new iPad.  You do the math.

What actually makes the Nexus 7 (as well as any device running 4.1) smooth like iOS is that Google finally implemented triple buffering, which allows the CPU and the GPU to never have to fight for memory when compositing the display.  On top of that, they implemented VSync to make sure that processing and drawing to the screen always occur in 16 ms intervals, leading to 60 fps throughout the OS.

• Reply 89 of 116
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wel said. Then we have to remember Android fans are either old died in the wool PC users who hate Apple or youngsters that don't know any better. /smile

That's definitely not true. I most definitely buy a new macbook pro every year, but I prefer android on my mobile devices. I like that we have choice. A few years back before the iPhone was released, times really were dark.

• Reply 90 of 116

Sorry, I cruise the forums because I a cannot due without my Macbook Pro (ditched PC for good 6 years ago) , just ask my wife. But I love my HTC Inspire Android phone too. Ipad and Nexus 7 both have the same glaring missing part, a microSD slot. It's big $ making you pay $50/100 for each RAM upgrade. Clase 10 32GB is only $20.

• Reply 91 of 116
    techboy wrote: »
    Epic un-boxing vid!

Loved the guy using his plastic collar stiffener to try to cut through the tape, lol

"Just give it a good shake'n'bake" ...

No, you throw it against the wall after you open it.
  • Reply 92 of 116
    cincytee wrote: »
    The music playing in the background is Humouesque... Made popular in 1963 by Alan Sherman with his recording of Camp Grenada....

The Alan Sherman reference is dead on, but the piece is "Dance of the Hours" from Amilcare Ponchielli's long-winded and rarely performed opera La Gioconda. The dance was also used to great effect in Disney's Fantasia (in the segment with the dancing hippos) and a parody by Spike Jones, which was in turn used as the theme to the original, syndicated (half-hour) version of SCTV.

I stand cooected, thanks.

First it's the old eyes that go... Then the brain...
  • Reply 93 of 116
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
    Google will still sell them, people will still by them, $200 will still be the base price. Yes the ipad mini will sell way more but google will also sell a lot. Its a great product at a great price point. It might even be better than the ipad mini. who knows?
    I am amazed that you retards come to a website called Apple insider to argue. A bunch of clucking hens!!
  • Reply 94 of 116
    Meh. I give the review a 3 out of 5 stars. DED would've found more things wrong with it.
  • Reply 95 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

Google will still sell them, people will still by them, $200 will still be the base price. Yes the ipad mini will sell way more but google will also sell a lot. Its a great product at a great price point. It might even be better than the ipad mini. who knows?

How true.  If people like the Nexus 7 and it works for them for one reason or another (price, ecosystem etc.), what's the big deal?  If the iPad Mini does indeed exist, comes in around the same price point, and is as good or better, then people will buy them too.  Android is not my cup of tea so I don't buy Android devices.  Not saying it's not good for someone else though, I just prefer Apple.  No one is forced to buy an iPad or Nexus.  In fact, the only brand I am forced to use is Windows at work.  It took a long time, but I have finally come to terms with that.  

• Reply 96 of 116
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Your Xoom should've been updated to jb.

Sadly motorola in Australia is as far from awesome as possible.

ICS was out in the US Xoom in around Jan 2012 Australia got it after heaps of kicking & screaming just as JB was released (about June 2012) for the US model.

The real kicker is i have the Wifi Xoom which is the same as the US version, moto thinks it needs 6 months of testing just for AUS...

• Reply 97 of 116
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Impressively unbiased review. The Nexus 7 is a fantastic piece of hardware and software. I love that your only negatives are about it are android apps and the iPad mini. I actually think the android apps are more of a plus than a negative. All current android apps run full screen natively right out of the box on the Nexus 7. Something that the iPad mini might not be able to say. That being said, do you think apple can(will) compete on price? $199 is quite cheap. If the iPad mini is $299 I'd go for a Nexus 7. If it's $199, I'll take the iPad mini.

Well gee. What a surprise! Someone with the name "NexusPhan" would go with the, drum roll please, NEXUS? Ballsy move posting here... doesn't even take into account the entire Apple ecosystem. Go figure...

BTW, did you read the same article as the rest of us? Although overall pretty complimentary, there were actually quite a few negatives in the article. "The Bad" section merely highlighted the most severe. But the article was filled with them, even down to simple things like opening the box (watch the video, hilarious), the narrow width not so good for web browsing, the quality of apps displayed, the home button issue, etc. But the most damning comment was wait for the new iPad mini if looking for a smaller form factor, and its no iPad competitor.

• Reply 98 of 116
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member

The box opening video was hysterical - the only thing missing was someone being so frustrated that they just threw the whole thing against the wall! Just goes to show that no matter how the copycats try to beat Apple, they just don't get it! It's about total attention to detail, and delighting customers about EVERY aspect of the experience.

• Reply 99 of 116
    pendergast wrote: »
    Are those screenshots taken on an iPad 2 or an iPad (spring 2012)?
    The latter's retina display allows it to use the retina version of the phone app, as opposed to the 320pixel version. This makes it less pixelated when it is scaled.

That's great and all but the "retina" version of all phone apps would also display fine if they didn't run the 320 pixel version on my iPad 2, as can be done with jail broken iPads.

The pessimistic side of me says the iPad runs the low res versions to entice people to buy the "HD" version.

Making phone apps look intentionally bad on non retina iPads does suck.
  • Reply 100 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah...

The music playing in the background is Humouesque... Made popular in 1963 by Alan Sherman With his recording of Camp Grenada:

Camp Granada (COMEDY)

Hello Mudda, hello Fadda,

Here I am at Camp Granada.

Camp is very entertaining,

And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining.

I went hiking with Joe Spivy;

He developed poison ivy.

You remember Leonard Skinner;

He got ptomain poisoning last night after dinner.

All the counselors hate the waiters,

And the lake has alligators,

And the head coach wants no sissies,

So he reads to us from something called "Ulysses".

Now I don't want this should it scare ya,

But my bunk mate has malaria.

You remember Jeffrey Hardy,

They're about to organize a searching party.

Take me home, oh Mudda, Fadda,

Take me home, I hate Granada!

Don't leave me out in the forest where

I might get eaten by a bear.

Take me home, I promise I will not make noise,

Or mess the house with other boys.

Oh, please don't make me stay,

I've been here one whole day.

Dearest Fadda, darling Mudda,

How's my precious little brother?

Let me come home if you miss me,

I would even let Aunt Bertha hug and kiss me.

Wait a minute, it stopped hailing,

Guys are swimming, gals are sailing.

Playing baseball, gee that's betta,

Mudda, Fadda, kindly disregard this letter!

That's Dance of the Hours from the opera La Gioconda. It was popular long before 1965.