Apple's new iMac expected to be redesigned without Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member

I expect I'm going to jump on the 13" rMBP right away. Hopefully it will be available with 16GB of RAM, just like its bigger brother. Having both a Thunderbolt and HDMI port would be a huge advantage over the MBA for me.

I'm really curious to see how Apple solves the GPU issue on the smaller machine. Currently, the regular 13" MacBook Pros still run the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics and don't have a discrete GPU. Would that be remotely powerful enough to handle all the pixels on a Retina Display? Or will they find a way to shoehorn a GeForce GT 650M in there?

• Reply 22 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedd View Post

There was never going to be a retina iMac, not even in the next 3 years. The panel build cost alone would add $2000 to the machine build price.

I doubt that.  Manufacturers are already making noises about 4K UHDTV TVs coming out within the next 12 months.  They run at double the standard 1080p HD resolution, or 3840 x 2160 (4 times the pixels of today's HD).  If televisions are coming, you can bet monitors will hit too, and hit within the next 24 months.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Apple be one of the first to adopt that resolution, just as they were one of the first to adopt WQHD (2560 x 1440, double 720p HD) with the 27" iMac.

• Reply 23 of 130
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

There was never going to be a retina iMac, not even in the next 3 years. The panel build cost alone would add $2000 to the machine build price.

Nonsense on both counts.

• Reply 24 of 130
    zeddzedd Posts: 7member

You're a moderator here? **** that. This forum has lost all of its credibility with a troll as a "global moderator".

You are a complete joke. Go ahead and ban me. You know nothing about Macs, or computers in general. Thats why you were banned form MacRumors.

• Reply 25 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

An update for the iMac/Mini could even happen this week sometime.

I think I just started crying tears of joy lol... 

• Reply 26 of 130
    zeddzedd Posts: 7member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

I doubt that.  Manufacturers are already making noises about 4K UHDTV TVs coming out within the next 12 months.

4k means nothing. Thats simply resolution, not DPI.

You're talking about 3840 x 2160 on TVs 36-82", we are talking 5120 x 2880 on a 27" display.

Basically, you're talking about putting a V12 in a truck while we are talking about putting a V12 in a Beetle.

• Reply 27 of 130

Quote:

You're a moderator here? **** that. This forum has lost all of its credibility with a troll as a "global moderator".

You are a complete joke. Go ahead and ban me. You know nothing about Macs, or computers in general. Thats why you were banned form MacRumors.

Put the roids down, dude. This is just a speculation forum on the INTERNET. No reason to be upset. So Tallest disagrees with you (which I think a lot of people disagree with that point), who the hell cares? 

Also Tallest has a sense of that I don't think many people pick up. 

• Reply 28 of 130
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

You realize that we get all reports, right? image

You realize that breaking forum rules IN a report isn't going to be a very good idea, right? image

Of course I am, of course I do, and of course it is. 

I would say that EVERYONE here disagrees with you on your point, at least in one fashion.

And to top it all off, YOU were banned from there, too. Four years since you've been there and you still have this magical mystery vendetta against me? That's some serious issues, man.

• Reply 29 of 130
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Add Ivy Bridge, USB 3.0, add Blu Ray (kidding) and make flash storage standard.
  • Reply 30 of 130
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Retina will come in time, when it becomes practical. (A higher-res conventional—non 2x—display would be awful: tiny print!)

Now, please...

Make the keys and mouse black.

The iMac has not been white for years. Make the keyboard and mouse match! They’d also match the laptops better that way.

White cables? Sure—that’s a signature detail of Apple’s, and you don’t even see any cords on most iMac setups. But white keys and mouse? Time to lose that. An all-black-and-aluminum setup would look great!

Mouse? Who still uses a mouse? Mice are so outdated.

Apple's Trackpad is the best way to navigate any Mac.

• Reply 31 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Add Ivy Bridge, USB 3.0, add Blu Ray (kidding) and make flash storage standard.

BluRay...   hahahah.  Had to get an external drive for that.

Agree on the other two.  Especially all flash storage.  Have the current 27" with SSD + HD.  I sometimes forget about the HD... until it has to spin up. 

• Reply 32 of 130
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member

BluRay...   hahahah.  Had to get an external drive for that.

Hence the kidding part. I guess you agree with everything else?
  • Reply 33 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Hence the kidding part. I guess you agree with everything else?

Note my edit.

• Reply 34 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Retina will come in time, when it becomes practical. (A higher-res conventional—non 2x—display would be awful: tiny print!)

Now, please...

Make the keys and mouse black.

The iMac has not been white for years. Make the keyboard and mouse match! They’d also match the laptops better that way.

White cables? Sure—that’s a signature detail of Apple’s, and you don’t even see any cords on most iMac setups. But white keys and mouse? Time to lose that. An all-black-and-aluminum setup would look great!

I agree with you on the black keys.  Personally, I would like it if they could make the top of the mouse out of aluminum as well and have the bottom plastic black.  Just a nice to have though as the design of both are still very elegant.

• Reply 35 of 130

What resolution would the iMac 27' need to be Retina? 4K? even higher res that that? :O

• Reply 36 of 130

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

What resolution would the iMac 27' need to be Retina? 4K? even higher res that that? :O

Double it, 5120x2880, and you get 217 PPI. Double that, 10240x5760 and you get 435 PPI, which is "too" high.

• Reply 37 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Double it, 5120x2880, and you get 217 PPI. Double that, 10240x5760 and you get 435 PPI, which is "too" high.

Yeah, that'd deffo be over 4K, which would make it a pain in the ass to manufacture, BUT all the companies making 4K movies and TV shows and shit, would buy one for sure.

• Reply 38 of 130

Quote:

4k means nothing. Thats simply resolution, not DPI.

You're talking about 3840 x 2160 on TVs 36-82", we are talking 5120 x 2880 on a 27" display.

Basically, you're talking about putting a V12 in a truck while we are talking about putting a V12 in a Beetle.

Yes, I know resolution doesn't = DPI, but the fact that they're JUST coming out with 4K panels, should tell you a thing or two about when to expect such a monitor.

• Reply 39 of 130

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Yeah, that'd deffo be over 4K, which would make it a pain in the ass to manufacture, BUT all the companies making 4K movies and TV shows and shit, would buy one for sure.

Forget 4k, anyway. Super Hi-Vision. That's the only kind of television (dumb screen-based) I'd accept or expect from Apple. It's retina! After that, no more stupid marketing about resolutions because you physically can't see any higher. And audio, my stars. 

• Reply 40 of 130
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Another way to look at this is that 4k displays are just around the corner. I don't know what Apple will put in the iMac and I don't really care, however I won't say Retina is impossible this year.
    huntercr wrote: »
    Sharp seemed to think it was possible in their April press release

Granted, they're not  as far along as what they're demoing currently would imply, but  who knows?

It all seems too much to throw at the consumer at the same time.... new iPhone, new ipad mini new touch, new nano, new iMacs. At least one of those should be an incremental upgrade. I guess it should be the iMac, but I'd really like to have an amazing leap like this in the iMacs.