Amazon debuts $299 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, $119 e-ink Kindle Paperwhite

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108

AAPL and GOOG slightly up from when the Amazon presentation started... AMZN slightly down.

There was about a $3  plus/minus range for APPL;  $2 for GOOG;  and about $5.50 for AMZN

• Reply 22 of 108
    duoduo Posts: 26member

Was just at Amazon trying to see if I can check these new readers and tablets out in detail and they're not even up yet. This just feels sloppy. Nothing on the website and not shipping most of the new stuff for at least another month-and-a-half! Not hating on Amazon, though, just an observation. I somehow get the feeling the timing has more to do with trying to take the wind out of Apple's sails or something like that. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if an iPad mini does materialize.

Also, I don't get the whole "better support for Exchange" thing. I really doubt any corporations are seriously looking into a tablet primarily designed to be a consumption device despite its price. 

• Reply 23 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

If all you did is consume Amazon contents then you should do it.

Bull.

This thing is compelling.  If you don't think so, you've sold your soul to Apple.  Amazon is clearly trying to address some things Apple refuses to address, such as glare, parental controls, and expensive data plans.  You may HATE Amazon, but THIS is what competition is: offering things your competitor does not.  

An iPad knock off it isn't.  If anyone should be upset about the UI its Microsoft.  The Kindle UI looks an awful lot like what I see on my Xbox....

EDIT:

By the way, I am not implying you should ditch your iPad and buy the thing.  Just that it is an appealing device worth taking a look at.  It has merits beyond the "Amazon content".

• Reply 24 of 108
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

3. Multiple profiles and time limits for kids.  Brilliant.

I also like this feature -- it's a no-brainer in fact.

• Reply 25 of 108

With Amazon making this announcement a month before Apple unveils the iPad mini, it gives Tim Cook time to rethink his strategy.  If Apple planned on releasing the mini with a 7.85" 1024x768 screen at $299 then they now know that something more aggressive is required.

• Reply 26 of 108
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

8.9in, 1920x1200 is 254ppi with an IPS display for $299. That will certainly look better than 7.9 at 1024x768... Of course iOS vs AmazFrankenDroid is a totally different story, but clearly Amazon is trying to take it seriously.

There is also a 7" kindle fire HD at 1920x1200. that would give even higher ppi.  aint that pretty close to retina display? Did I get this wrong or they are releasing a 7" retina display tablet at 199$ ?

• Reply 27 of 108
    duoduo Posts: 26member

Quote:

I know some of you are going to get on here and trash this thing, but this device has some VERY cool stuff.  

1. A screen that reduces clear.  Fantastic and needed on the iPad.

2. Cloud saving for games. I hate having to start over.

3. Multiple profiles and time limits for kids.  Brilliant.

4. Ability to seamlessly switch between Audiobook and printed book.  Never even thought of this.

5. It's own data plan.  Yes, 250 MB is not much, but neither is the $50 price point.  It's enough to help you when your between Wi-fi hotspots and really need to access something.  I will never be used as your primary source of data.

Those are the things that have me taking pause.  They are looking at what Apple is NOT doing and the things people are sort of annoyed about and they are responding.  Apple had better take a look at these specs.  In particular to me is the parental controls.  As a parent who has had some issues with my kids doing stuff on the iPad they should not, it STILL pisses me off that Apple wants me to pay a king's ransom and buy 2 iPads to block certain things.

New Kindle Fire is worth it to me for that alone.  But I feel compelled to wait and see what Apple does with the iPad Mini before I jump, but I won't hold my breath on the parental controls.  Apple seems hell bent on making parents either pay extra or jump through hoops if they want to protect their kids.

The screen is definitely awesome, and I suspect we'll be hearing more of the same from Apple if and when the mini shows up. Wasn't there an article just a couple of days ago about potential screen shortages cause the suppliers were having yield problems with the new laminated screens? 

• Reply 28 of 108

Quote:

This thing is compelling.  If you don't think so, you've sold your soul to Apple.

Well, the price is certainly compelling. As for the rest (hardware, software), we'll have to see.

It doesn't mean anybody sold their soul, just that the price isn't the only (or most important) thing for everybody.

• Reply 29 of 108
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Bull.

This thing is compelling.  If you don't think so, you've sold your soul to Apple.  Amazon is clearly trying to address some things Apple refuses to address, such as glare, parental controls, and expensive data plans.  You may HATE Amazon, but THIS is what competition is: offering things your competitor does not.  

An iPad knock off it isn't.  If anyone should be upset about the UI its Microsoft.  The Kindle UI looks an awful lot like what I see on my Xbox....

EDIT:

By the way, I am not implying you should ditch your iPad and buy the thing.  Just that it is an appealing device worth taking a look at.  It has merits beyond the "Amazon content".

Oh, it's compelling alright but let put in a little bit of perspective here. If iPad mini is $250. Isn't it cheaper than this Fire HD? Also, you might have a point about parental control but Amazon said many things on their presentation that turned out to be not as spectacular as what they told, like Silk browser technology for example. So I will take the wait-and-see approach here and judge it from the real thing only.

• Reply 30 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

There is also a 7" kindle fire HD at 1920x1200. that would give even higher ppi.  aint that pretty close to retina display? Did I get this wrong or they are releasing a 7" retina display tablet at 199$ ?

The 7in HD is 1280x800 not 1920x1200. But it is 199.

• Reply 31 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

With Amazon making this announcement a month before Apple unveils the iPad mini, it gives Tim Cook time to rethink his strategy.  If Apple planned on releasing the mini with a 7.85" 1024x768 screen at $299 then they now know that something more aggressive is required.

I don't care if Tim Cook adjusts the price.  But he'd better be looking at how people react to this for sure.  I don't want to say this is the biggest challenger to the iPad ever, but it is the right way to challenge the iPad.  Don't copy.  Research and find out what people wish the iPad would do and fulfill those wishes.  I think Amazon did some major homework on this thing....

• Reply 32 of 108
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

Quote:

The 7in HD is 1280x800 not 1900x1200. But it is 199.

It's confusing and it doesn't help when Amazon doesn't have a webpage up explaining the new offerings (at least I'm not seeing it anywhere).

That's one thing Apple gets right. Have the info up, the moment after a keynote!

• Reply 33 of 108
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

The 7in HD is 1280x800 not 1900x1200. But it is 199.

ok thanks makes more sense.  Not retina but very nice resolution for the size.

• Reply 34 of 108

Quote:

That because these people don't sell for profit.

They are selling for profit, they're just making the profit elsewhere. That does make a huge difference to the consumer though. They see functionality, specs and a price tag. How much do they really consider how much they're paying after the initial purchase?

• Reply 35 of 108

Quote:

Oh, it's compelling alright but let put in a little bit of perspective here. If iPad mini is $250. Isn't it cheaper than this Fire HD? Also, you might have a point about parental control but Amazon said many things on their presentation that turned out to be not as spectacular as what they told, like Silk browser technology for example. So I will take the wait-and-see approach here and judge it from the real thing only.

As a parent, if the Kindle Fire has decent, or even usable, parental controls it could win me on that alone.  Not for me mind you, but for my kids.

Right now what Apple offers fits somewhere between unusable and non-existent.

• Reply 36 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

If Apple planned on releasing the mini with a 7.85" 1024x768 screen at $299 then they now know that something more aggressive is required.

Required? For what? To be the cheapest option?

I don't think Apple needs (or even should try to be the cheapest) option to be successful. They're positioning themselves as the premium brand. Like Coca Cola they just need to be practically affordable by the average person.

I considered $299 to be uncharacteristically (and needlessly) aggressive for Apple, actually. I'm still not sure it's true, either. But amazon's offer does make it look like a less erratic move, so that I'm pretty confident Apple isn't at all that surprised by amazon's price point.

• Reply 37 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banana Bonanza View Post

Well, the price is certainly compelling. As for the rest (hardware, software), we'll have to see.

It doesn't mean anybody sold their soul, just that the price isn't the only (or most important) thing for everybody.

I don't recall ever mentioning the price.  All I have spoken about is the features.  You're right on if they can deliver, but I think (hope) they will.  Keep in mind, I still love my iPad.  I am rooting for this thing because I want to see some of this stuff find its way to the iPad and iOS.  Success will help make that a reality.

EDIT:

And FYI- I have submitted suggestions to Apple for better parental controls features on more than one occasion and it falls on deaf ears.

• Reply 38 of 108

Quote:

Good points here I think. It really will boil down to execution (though it could be executed worse than Apple, but 'good enough') but I still think Apple has to reconsider price points now.

• Reply 39 of 108
    Another company wants to be Apple, Inc. How cute!
  • Reply 40 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

ok thanks makes more sense.  Not retina but very nice resolution for the size.

It's still better than 1024x768 at 7.85in (216 vs 163 ppi) I'm curious to see if Apple rethinks it's strategy, there may have been a good reason why the announcement was not coming with the iPhone next week.