Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is set to launch a new lineup of iMac desktops in the near future, with a debut now "imminent," according to a new report.

Citing "multiple sources," Clayton Morris of Fox News reported on Friday that Apple is prepared to launch new models in the near future, but declined to offer a specific timeframe. He cited as recent evidence the fact that supply of Apple's larger 27-inch iMac models has been dwindling at Apple's retail stores and third-party resellers.

"It's possible the iMac announcement could happen at the rumored October iPad mini announcement, but I'm not holding my breath for that," Morris wrote. "Apple has been known to update the desktops without much fanfare."

iMac

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said late last month that two new iMac models would be among 8 new product launches from Apple this fall. He estimated that both a 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac will be available before the end of October.

However, he also indicated that the new iMacs will not feature high-resolution Retina displays like the newly updated 15-inch MacBook Pro. But the refreshed iMacs are expected to have a redesigned exterior with an improved "full-lamination process" for the screen's cover glass.

That new production method is apparently more difficult for the larger 27-inch iMac, which reportedly has a lower production yield rate than the 21.5-inch model.

The new iMacs are also expected to feature Intel's latest-generation Ivy Bridge processors, as well as USB 3.0 ports and expanded solid-state drive capacities. Morris said Friday that the design will also be slimmer thanks to Apple removing the dedicated optical drive.

Last month, AppleInsider was first to report on configuration files found in Apple's Mountain Lion operating system that make apparent references to an unreleased new generation of all-in-one iMac desktops. Those references make mention of USB booting options that were seen as potentially indicating that the new machines could lack built-in optical drives for the first time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I can't wait! It'll be my first direct desktop purchase since I started using notebooks way back in the late 90's.
  • Reply 2 of 90

"Imminent." He's stirring the masses to a feverish pitch with this talk. Citing information derived from Apple's online store doesn't add any more evidence.

I'm breathlessly waiting with card in hand ("SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!") but this is just cruel to say that this is news.

• Reply 3 of 90

This iMac update is a long time coming. It'll be a good update, too: Ivy Bridge, new GPUs, standard bumps to HDD and RAM, no optical drive, USB 3, maybe the number of Thunderbolt upped to 2 and 3, respectively.

But does anyone else think that people might hold off on it because it won't be getting a retina display?

• Reply 4 of 90
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member

I think that leaving out the DVD drive out of the iMac may be premature.  I still rent DVDs, and even BluRay.  With such a nice display, it makes fun watching movies on the 27" iMac and it is better than my regular HDTV.  More so when Apple introduces Retina Display.  

• Reply 5 of 90

What would happen if 'It's Almost There' sign is actually for iMac, and not iPhone?

P.S. no more optical drive for iMac in this release, right?

• Reply 6 of 90
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    But does anyone else think that people might hold off on it because it won't be getting a retina display?

Quite possibly.

I'm holding my financial breath on both a new MBA and Thunderbolt Display, purely because they don't have Retina Display.

People will probably do the same with these.
  • Reply 7 of 90

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

What would happen if 'It's Almost There' sign is actually for iMac, and not iPhone?

Oh, gosh, can you IMAGINE? The September event for Macs and then the October one for the iPhone… The horror (here)… the horror! image

P.S. no more optical drive for iMac in this release, right?

Hopefully.

• Reply 8 of 90
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

I hope Mini's aren't far behind on the update path...

• Reply 9 of 90

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I hope Mini's aren't far behind on the update path...

I see them as silent alongside whenever the iMac does.

• Reply 10 of 90

This is not a criticism, just an observation...

A poster on a previous iMac article, said, "there is no reason for Apple to make the iMac any thinner."

My GF recently brought home her iMac from work for me setup for her. It's the newest current iMac. And when I pulled it out of the box I was amazed how light it was compared to my original white 20" intel iMac! I would guess it was a good third lighter.

I know Apple has a penchant for thinness which in turn means elegance, but imagine the cost savings in material, shipping cost (AVGas), etc., for Apple.

Anyway, can't wait to see the new ones! :)

• Reply 11 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This iMac update is a long time coming. It'll be a good update, too: Ivy Bridge, new GPUs, standard bumps to HDD and RAM, no optical drive, USB 3, maybe the number of Thunderbolt upped to 2 and 3, respectively.

I think the retina display would be nice but when you look at what Retina display resolution is, the iMacs are very close. See the article ref'd here:

http://www.cultofmac.com/168509/why-you-might-be-disappointed-by-the-resolution-of-those-new-retina-display-macs-feature/

for more info.

Bottom line is I got a 3.4 quad i7 about 8 months ago and love it. I don't find the kind of difference you might be expecting when viewed from normal viewing distances, so no I don't think people should wait (some always will).

• Reply 12 of 90
    ajitmd wrote: »
    I think that leaving out the DVD drive out of the iMac may be premature.  I still rent DVDs, and even BluRay.  With such a nice display, it makes fun watching movies on the 27" iMac and it is better than my regular HDTV.  More so when Apple introduces Retina Display.  

nd yet I suspect they will do it. AND the retina, which by the by is only around a 15% bump in pixels at most (do the math). But only to one model at this point and that will be a pro focused 27 inch. Basically what they did with the MBP.

The rest of the line will be ram, processor, adding USB 3.0 etc.

Then next time around they will trickle through the line up just like they seem to be planning for the MBPs.

Hopefully they will also do a revamp of the Cinema Displays as well. Give us retina, hdmi, larger size options, higher refresh rates and 3D support wouldn't be bad
  • Reply 13 of 90
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Huh? How is it better than your regular HDTV? Assuming you don't have a tiny or really crappy HDTV? Sitting at a desk watching movies is fun?0

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Quite possibly.

I'm holding my financial breath on both a new MBA and Thunderbolt Display, purely because they don't have Retina Display.

People will probably do the same with these.

The 13" MBP will be next with a Retina Display. After that, likely the Airs. While it'd be nice for the Thunderbolt to get one, don't hold your breath. The production yields for those will take a while to get up to the level required for production at a reasonable cost.

• Reply 14 of 90

Quote:

Not much more though (see my previous post) unless you sit close enough to get nose prints on the screen. I find watching HD on my 27" quite satisfying (true HD not YouTube crap).

• Reply 15 of 90

It just keeps getting better and better!!!

• Reply 16 of 90
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wait! It'll be my first direct desktop purchase since I started using notebooks way back in the late 90's.

You should not be disappointed. I have an ageing (lol) i7 27" that has been fantastic. I too have used MBP's as my main system in the past. Now, if I could make WiFi reliable under 10.8, would be great too! (I have 12 GB of RAM, best upgrade ever and cheap and easy to implement!)

All the best.

• Reply 17 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Me too...they are already exquisite machines with the most elegant OS...can't wait to see the improvements.

I'd be very surprised if Retina displays were part of the deal. But I could see getting rid of the optical drive by expanding the model line much like they did with the RetinaMBP. The old 27" iMac with the superdrive and the new 27" iMac sans superdrive and SSD.

It's really brilliant what Apple is doing...instead of coming out with a several different models at one time (e.g., iPhone, iPad, MBP) they keep the old model, reduce the price when they introduce the new model. The old model then because the "entry level" price point. No reason they can't do it with iMac line, too.

I personally would go for the new 27" without the optical drive and SSD! :)

• Reply 18 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, gosh, can you IMAGINE? The September event for Macs and then the October one for the iPhone… The horror (here)… the horror! image

That is one plausible case. Only if the rumours about trobles of switching suppliers are true, and that Cook need more time to get all ducks in the row and see that Apple still has the same amount of output without Samsung.

In the meantime, Samsung might as well won 2012 Smartphone Championship this season and already tied Samsung Blue ribbon on the ears of the trophy, like this;

Don't be too worry though. It is only for one season. 2013 should be back to Apple Black ribbon.

• Reply 19 of 90

Quote:

I wouldn't mind them leaving it out - would make it cheaper plus it's the first thing to fail after a couple years.  I own an external bluray/dvd/cd burner i bought for less than $100 and that is where it may go: you want it - buy the external.

• Reply 20 of 90

By the way, if smartphones are going to have 'team colour', which colour would be for each brand?

Apple - black?

Samsung -blue

LG - red and white

HTC - light green and white

Nokia - blue (lighter shade than Samsung)

Sony - black

Microsoft - quadcolour?

Google Nexus - red, blue and yellow

What else?