Apple seeks patent for iPad Smart Cover packaging designed by Jony Ive

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's design chief Jony Ive is one of the inventors credited with designing the packaging for the magnetic iPad Smart Cover.

Patent

The filing, made public this week by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and discovered by AppleInsider, is simply entitled "Packaging Assembly." It notes that competition in the consumer electronics market has made it necessary for device makers to spend time designing product packaging in addition to the products themselves.

"Appealing retail packaging may encourage purchase of products that a consumer may otherwise overlook," the filing states. "Accordingly, design considerations for packaging have become increasingly important."

But the design of packaging should go beyond just aesthetic appeal, Apple argues, and should make it easy to insert the product and also for the customer to remove it once they have purchased it.

"While many designs and techniques used to package products have generally worked well in the past, there is always a desire to improve packaging, such that improved functionality and/or appearance is provided," the application reads.

In March of 2011, when the iPad 2 Smart Cover was first released, AppleInsider detailed the product's smart packaging, dubbed "frustration free." The design of the packaging makes it easy for consumers to return it without destroying the packaging.

>iPad 2 Smart Cover

The retail package is held closed by an adhesive-backed tab that holds the cardboard back of the box to its clear plastic front. Users can open the packaging by simply pulling a tab on the back, and no scissors are necessary.

Once the tab has been removed, the box opens to reveal a recyclable plastic film that slides out of place to access the Smart Cover.

In addition to Apple's renowned design chief Ive, the full list of inventors includes Jody Akana, Bartley K. Andre, Jeremy Bataillou, Daniel J. Coster, Danielle de Iuliis, Evans Hankey, Julian Hoenig, richard P. Howarth, Duncan Robert Kerr, Shin Nishibori, Matthew Dean Rohrbach, Peter Russel-clarke, Christopher J. Stringer, Eugene Antony Whang, and Rico Zorkendorfer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23

Apple patenting something that should actually be patentable. This is a refreshing change.

• Reply 2 of 23
    I heard they patented the Jambalaya in the cafateria 3 days ago
  • Reply 3 of 23
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Apple patenting something that should actually be patentable. This is a refreshing change.

I disagree completely.  I see no difference between this and most of the software patents Apple has applied for (and usually been granted).  This is just as likely to have prior art, is just as likely to be considered "obvious," and is just as likely to annoy the heck out of someone who independently implements a similar solution and thereby violates the patent.  So I would say if you hate software patents, you should hate this for the same reasons.  If you think software patents appropriately motivate people (and companies) to innovate knowing that they will be rewarded by a time-limited monopoly on their implementation, then you should support this.

To me this this fits right in that grey area been "obviously should be patentable" and "give me break."  The fact that plastic rather than bytes are involved doesn't come into play.

• Reply 4 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    If all those that seem to think Apple shouldn't patent anything I'd just ask them why it seems almost every tech company these days with competing products to Apple feel that Apple's design ideas are the only obvious designs they have to also use? Sadly this even extends to packaging these days and that can lead to people buying something they assume is Apple's so I say good for Apple. Patent, Trademark and protect everything you can. Perhaps then other companies might actually hire people with imaginations. I'm sure there are plenty out there.
  • Reply 5 of 23

"The packaging is intended to make it easy for customers to open needing using tools like scissors." — Appleinsider

WHAT!!!  Outsourcing your copy editing to a foreign country is not a smart move.

• Reply 6 of 23
    Apple now invents the cardboard box. What's next, air? When the Apple iCar arrives will they have invented the wheel too?
  • Reply 7 of 23

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

"The packaging is intended to make it easy for customers to open needing using tools like scissors." — Appleinsider

WHAT!!!  Outsourcing your copy editing to a foreign country is not a smart move.

Thanks. PM me to fix it if you see any more anywhere, since we sure seem to have a lot. 

• Reply 8 of 23

I wonder how many man hours were wasted on this?

• Reply 9 of 23

Originally Posted by jpmd View Post

Fewer than the troll hours wasted here. Sad, really.

• Reply 10 of 23
    Apple has every right to apply for patents on anything they create. In fact, I'd say it's their responsibility to do so in order to protect the value of their investment (in IP, people, resources).

If you don't agree with their getting patents from USPTO, then it's your right to reach out to the USPTO to challenge the patents. And if you think Apple is overstepping their applying for, and getting patents granted, you're clearly not following the sheer number of patents that other companies and individuals are applying for.
  • Reply 11 of 23

When reached for comment, Apple SVP of Design Jony Ive said: “When you think about the time you spend with the packaging for the smart cover, the interaction might be 10-20 seconds of your life, so we didn’t just want to make the packaging for the smart cover better, we wanted to make it MUCH BETTER.  This is the BEST packaging for a smart cover that we have ever invented.”

• Reply 12 of 23

"Zorkendorfer" is by far the raddest name in the list.  Or maybe anywhere.

• Reply 13 of 23
    I'm embarrassed to admit I had a hard time to open this package. Ordered it separately from my iPad as I didn't want the delivery of the new iPad delayed because of a possible shortage of the Smart Covers. Still, hope they are granted this patent.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmd View Post

That's the kind of "thinking" that Dell, HP and all the other "usual suspects" use ..... and where does it get them?  Apple thinks user experience first, bottom line later .... and where does it get them?  I'll follow Apple's lead, thank you very much. 

• Reply 15 of 23

Originally Posted by smirk View Post

"Zorkendorfer" is by far the raddest name in the list.  Or maybe anywhere.

Zap Rowsdower gives it a run for the money, though.

• Reply 16 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Apple now invents the cardboard box. What's next, air? When the Apple iCar arrives will they have invented the wheel too?

How long do we have to put up with your snarky, moronic posts? The industry's slavish copying and 'inspiration' of what Apple does validates the necessity for them to patent whatever they do. 

• Reply 17 of 23

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

How long do we have to put up with your snarky, moronic posts?

Until he breaks enough rules to ban or gets bored, like anyone else.

The industry's slavish copying and 'inspiration' of what Apple does validates the necessity for them to patent whatever they do. 

"But… but patents need reformed!" 

Okay, in what way?

"REFORM THE PATENT SYSTEM!"

So less Apple, more everyone else?

"YEP."

• Reply 18 of 23
    I can't say I'm surprised Ive is behind this. I do distinctly recall how great it was to open the Smart Cover. I was engaged by the thought the design or the packaging than the Smart Cover. It truly is a unique and beautiful work of engineering for something as mundane and paper and plastic.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I do distinctly recall how great it was to open the Smart Cover. I was engaged by the thought the design or the packaging than the Smart Cover. It truly is a unique and beautiful work of engineering for something as mundane and paper and plastic.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry?
    Have you ever seen or opened a Belkin Snap Shield from it's box or a McDonald's Big Mac?
    Do you buy anything else other than Apple?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Until he breaks enough rules to ban or gets bored, like anyone else.

Thank you