best band that should have been more popular but.....

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    The Black Crowes.

They never got the respect they deserve. This band was as close to perfection as a band can get; their albums, songs and performances can compete with all the greats.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>The Verve

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: Mr. Macintosh ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

True. But they went downhill from after the release of a storm in heaven (which is absolutely kickass). It's too bad because I really liked them...
  • Reply 23 of 70
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    [quote]Originally posted by Haddock.:

<strong>The Black Crowes.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't mean to be mean, but they are just recycled Stones circa 1973, with a tad of Aerosmith and touch of (oh shiit, the name escapes me . . . you know, typical midwest pick-up drivin style metal band with bandanas and tatoos and pushed up sleeves and long hair . . . um, did 'sweet babe of mine'?!?!?!)

anyway . . .pretty much second order as far as I can tell
  • Reply 24 of 70
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Pig

Killing Joke

Front Line Assembly

PS: Can kicks ass!

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 70
    killing joke...hell yes...forgot that one...their self titled album is amazing....g
  • Reply 26 of 70
    [quote]Originally posted by Haddock.:

<strong>The Black Crowes.

They never got the respect they deserve. This band was as close to perfection as a band can get; their albums, songs and performances can compete with all the greats.</strong><hr></blockquote>

:confused: they were pretty popular i thought

i vote for Echo and the Bunnymen
  • Reply 26 of 70
    It's always completely blown my mind that "Rockaway Beach" was not a number one single for at least ten weeks. I can't imagine a better pop song. I would also love to see the Fall have a hit. It was funny enough to see the video for "Victoria" on 120 Minutes back in the day.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Still The Clash ...
  • Reply 29 of 70
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Pearl Jam

(ducks)

• Reply 30 of 70
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>

Front Line Assembly

FLA=Delerium=Intermix=Synaesthesia=kickass. all the groups w/ leeb and fulber are insanely great. amazing that not many people down here in the south (people here have the worst taste in music, i swear...) know anything about these musical geniuses. amazing record after record they put out--talent that very few musicians can make claims to.

too bad they're no more...

oh well...

at least fulber's got conjure one going strong and leeb is still chugging along w/ delerium (although not quite the same anymore), but seperate they just don't have the same magic as they did together.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Pulp-In the States anyway.

Disco 2000 is one of my favorite songs ever.

Jeff
  • Reply 32 of 70
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>

Inspiral Carpets (should have been way bigger than Oasis).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've often wondered about them, because I know Noel Gallagher was their roadie. I love Oasis, Blur, Supergrass-do you suspect I would like them?

Jeff

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: jeffyboy ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Patti Smith Group
  • Reply 34 of 70
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote]They did "Bittersweet Symphony" of course...a pretty mind blowing song.<hr></blockquote>

actually, IIRC they covered that for another group who wrote it, but didn't want to sing it. it was kind of an oddball one too, like Aerosmith or something.

anyway, best band that was never hugely popular?

NIN

other than closer they never really had a hit song, but every single (full) CD he's released has completely kicked ass.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    NINE INCH NAILS were hugely popular. HUGELY.

i ran 3 different record stores in the 90's, and from broken through downward spiral, they were huge! and not just the newest release but back catalog had tremendous sell-through.

i don't think they ever fell out of my top-ten sellers for 5 years, and this was in iowa.

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: superkarate monkeydeathcar ]</p>
  • Reply 36 of 70
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar:

<strong>NINE INCH NAILS were hugely popular. HUGELY.

i ran 3 different record stores in the 90's, and from broken through downward spiral, they were huge! and not just the newest release but back catalog had tremendous sell-through.

i don't think they ever fell out of my top-ten sellers for 5 years, and this was in iowa. </strong><hr></blockquote>

superkarate monkeydeathcar, PM me if you get a chance....
  • Reply 37 of 70
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>

actually, IIRC they covered that for another group who wrote it, but didn't want to sing it. it was kind of an oddball one too, like Aerosmith or something.

The strings sample was an unauthorised lift from Andrew Loog Oldham's album of symphonic covers of Rolling Stones songs so he made most of the money off of that release.

Maybe that's what you are thinking of.

PS (for those who don't know) Oldham was the Stone's early manager and producer and, apparently, the person who inspired/created Mick's entire persona. I can recommend his biography Stoned to anyone interested in the band/the sixties/swinging london. Part two (called Stoned Again if I recall correctly) has recently been released.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    stupider: yeah, turns out that's it. i didn't realize that they didn't get any money for Bittersweet Symphony though. that's just rough.

like that guy needs more money now.

as for NIN, were they really huge and i just missed it? the only CD that any of my friends own of theirs is The Downward Spiral, and that was just for Closer.

other than that they didn't seem to get much limelight around here. also, if you worked at a smaller record store, i would understand that. you probably carried cooler music (IMO) than places like Best Buy or Circuit City, so you'd get people with good taste coming through. i would guess that's not common though.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    i thought NIN was huge, but that may just be me....my daughters and i scream out the lyrics to head like a hole from pretty hate machine in the car all the time...my wife thinks we're crazy....g

head like a hole.

black as your soul.

i'd rather die

than give you control.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    NIN were huge here. Another band that should've had some pop hits is Prefab Sprout. Some really great songs.