Apple iPhone 5 available for pre-order, some buyers experience issues

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    I had no problems at all. I ordered two. I'm not sure if this will help anyone else who is on AT&T, but it worked me and at least one other person. I have the new family shared data plan that includes an iPad. My primary account has an iPhone 4S which I bought on launch day last year, so I was not eligible for the upgrade pricing. I entered my iPad phone number (they assign you one when you get the data plan) and that line was eligible for the upgrade. I called AT&T and they said that I could do that and when the phone arrives they will switch it over to my primary line. I guess when they move you to the shared data plan they move you iPad over from a prepaid month-to-month account and actually put it on as a subsequent line on your account. Since it had never received an "upgrade" it was eligible.
  • Reply 62 of 72

Anybody who ordered and got through on AT&T notice this on the invoice:

Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE without Visual Voicemail

$30.00 ?

No Visual VM, how can that be?

• Reply 63 of 72
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    My issue that my AT
  • Reply 64 of 72
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What you get for the storage is staggering to me.

One iPhone photo averages 640kB for me. I have 3100 photos taking about 2GB. The extra 32 GB will get you an extra 45,000 photographs. It's hard to find one in 3000 photos, I'm not sure what to do with tens of thousands. I have 18 videos taking 0.4 GB total. These are mostly 30 second to 5 minute videos I took myself, so that's easy to expand with TV and movies.

I have a 64 GB iPad and the extra space doesn't seem to do it for me, I've left it half empty so far, and it's easy to cut back by reducing the song count.

I assumed he was referring to photos taken with the camera of the phone, which for the 4S and 5 seem to range from 2MB - 3.5MB in size per photo. Of course if you want to keep these photos on your phone just so that you can view them, then it makes sense to use iTunes to sync the photos back to the phone in photo albums (rather than keeping them in the camera roll). I believe that as part of this process iTunes will automatically downsize the photos (if not then you can do a batch resize using iPhoto or one of the various free photo viewers/editors).

OTOH, HD movies taken with the phone can take up a lot of space quickly. Downconverting these requires a bit more patience but can be done.

My problem is that I have a habit of hoarding apps. All of the app screens on my 3GS are full, and that's even with using folders - I'm guessing I have close to 200 apps installed. This also probably explains why my phone's been acting a bit sluggish lately. I really need to clean these up - I probably only use around 20 apps on a regular basis.

• Reply 65 of 72
    Couldn't get through to Apple.com or the Apple Store at 12:01 a.m., but got right into Verizon's site and completed the order with no issues. Glad I switched from AT&T.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by landy View Post

I dont think so, because i'm guessing there's almost no way that the 16gb, 32gb, and 64gb models in both black and white sold out for all 3 carriers at the same time... when I clicked my order it said shipping 9/21 and by the time i was finished my email said 2 weeks. I think it's boilerplate. Well... i hope it's boilerplate. haha

I think they intentionally limited the pre-order supply in order to ensure there would still be long lineups in front of the Apple stores in the days/nights leading up to 9/21. It's free publicity after all. I'm guessing once 9/21 rolls around we will see the est. delivery dates quickly come in.

• Reply 67 of 72

estolinski View Post

$30.00 ?

I didn't notice a message like that, but I still have my old 2GB/month plan for $25. When I check new rate plans, they don't appear to make a distinction about 4G LTE specifically.

Also glad I still have my 200 texts per month for $5. Right now the only new plan is unlimited for $20.

Modena360 View Post

Couldn't get through to Apple.com or the Apple Store at 12:01 a.m., but got right into Verizon's site and completed the order with no issues. Glad I switched from AT&T.

I couldn't get through att.com either, but Apple's site worked.

As someone who loathes actual phone conversations, not being able to surf and talk is one of my deal-breakers.

• Reply 68 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlcoholicFrog View Post

This time the Apple Store app on my phone wouldn't let me change the address, so I switched to the computer. That wouldn't let me change the address either. I couldn't find any way to have it shipped to work.

I kept running into an issue with my order. The ordering system indicated that Apple wouldn't ship to a PO box, and then the order would abort and I'd have to start over. The odd thing is that my Apple ID account has my street address configured as both my billing and shipping address -- as it always has. I ultimately realized that Apple's system was pulling my shipping address from my AT&T account's billing address. Which is kind of ironic, because the order also included a switch to Verizon from AT&T, so AT&T wouldn't be the carrier for the new phone anyway. <shrug>

• Reply 69 of 72

estolinski View Post

$30.00 ?

I didn't notice a message like that, but I still have my old 2GB/month plan for $25. When I check new rate plans, they don't appear to make a distinction about 4G LTE specifically.

Also glad I still have my 200 texts per month for $5. Right now the only new plan is unlimited for $20.

For the record, I'm still on unlimited data with AT&T.

Over on macrumors a user had the same feature line description. The user claimed to have done a virtual chat with AT&T and the operator said not to worry and that it was just the way they are billing now because there had not previously been unlimited LTE plans. 

• Reply 70 of 72

No problems here, I was surprised to see att jumping the gun it seemed like a minute or two. Apple didn't come up for me until about 1205 on my imac. Got my order in by 1215 and have a confirmation email at like 1221. Apple.com wouldn't open on my ipad but i was read on my imac. Im surprised the new wait times are only 2 weeks. I would have thought by now it would have been 3-4. So it will be interesting to hear all the carriers talk about how many they sold.

• Reply 71 of 72

Quote:

Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

$30.00 ?

No Visual VM, how can that be?

saw it but then there was another line saying visual voicemail. So I ordered from apples site and didnt touch my plan since I am happy with it.

• Reply 72 of 72
    Wasted over 2 hours Friday trying to pre order the IPhone 6 Plus. I'm already with AT&T, I logged in to the web site and tried pre ordering using add a line option, didn't work. Tried as an upgrade, got the same error message, "Our online system is unable to process your information at this time. Call us at 1-800-288-2020 or try again later. (errorCode.CO_185B)"
    1st that number takes you to their U-Verse call tree. Later in the message it states to call another number for mobility. After I finally get a representative and explain the issue, I waited on hold over 10 minutes while she checked on the issue. She came back and blamed it on the high demand. Also mentioned I could order from Apple. Went to the Apple web site, it wouldn't let me pre order on the Next payment plan, ONLY on a 2 year contract! Went back to AT&T and kept trying... still got the same message. Then I tried as a NEW CUSTOMER... it let me pre order one, but also made me sign up and pick a calling plan. Showed expected delivery of late November!