Apple releases Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with Facebook integration

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But that's simply a UI issue. You are not connected and there are no security issues. So complaining about Facebook being insecure is irrelevant. If you don't like to see the Facebook icon when you right click on things, that's a legitimate reason. Security is not.

I'm not complaining it's insecure (here), I'm only saying that I shouldn't see it at all if I don't use it.

• Reply 22 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Check out this comment!

Facebook integration? Oh, holiest of WHO CARES???

Everyone who uses the service, who also use a Mac. 

That's A LOT of users. 

• Reply 23 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm not complaining it's insecure (here), I'm only saying that I shouldn't see it at all if I don't use it.

No way to "turn it off" in the settings?  That would be ideal for me as well.  What's next Pinterest! *sound of organ indicating trouble ahead*

• Reply 24 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Then don't use Facebook and don't set it up.

10.8.2 includes more than FB integration.

To be fair, I'd imagine that if you NEVER log into Facebook and set up the integration -- it's not a security issue.

However, a lot of people will, and then will wonder why they get hand written letters with pictures of their children asking them to give generously or someone from Nairobi cannot guarantee their safety.

The identity theft and ways to scam people once you start data mining their facebook and relationships with your friends and associates is incalculable. I'm sure the only thing holding back organized crime from suckering half the people you know is that they don't have the manpower and crooks to keep up with the targets. Hopefully, the Chinese will start using facebook and give you more time before some crook gets to YOU.

Apple has, I think, made a bad error in making these social media technologies so readily available, before having a social media service that has the USER as their customer, rather than anyone who will pay for the data. People will look back on this one day and realize the nightmare of privacy they created started with such innocence.

• Reply 25 of 66
    I use Facebook but don't want all Facebook 'friends' in my contact list. Is there a way around it?
  • Reply 26 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

The absolute last thing in the world I want is system-wide Facebook integration. Or system-wide Twitter integration or anything else really.

Do you really want social media sites to know everything you do on your Mac?

Do you really want every website and app developer to have access to your social media profiles?

I don't.

I think your grasp of this is back to front - facebook and twitter don't know about everything you do on your mac, everything you do on you mac knows about your facebook and twitter so you can share stuff to them if you feel the need.... 

As for 3rd party apps and developers my understanding is that there is a common "Share" panel object that you send what you want to share to and then OSX / iOS handles the actual sharing so the 3rd party app never actually gets near your login details... saying that I've not got as far as looking at the share panel in XCode yet, so I may be wrong in this assumption.

If you don't want to use them then don't set up the credentials and apart from some redundant menu items (granted, they could hide the menu items if they aren't set up) on the share button nothing is different to before.

• Reply 27 of 66
    LLLL

Still shows up all across the UI. There's no reason for that.

It's nice in a way they left it there. The average user who doesn't read release notes can click Facebook or Twitter and it'll take them to the place to config the account. Thinking of the family members that call me for support....
  • Reply 28 of 66

Quote:

365.42 MB. That's certainly more than 7. Why am I afraid that's mainly useless FaceBook crap, since this is a delta update?

Remember the 802.11n activator utility that was $2 until a certain OS update? I'll gladly pay $2 to completely remove all software and UI elements relating to Twitter and Facebook from 10.8.2… 

Totally and absolutely agree.

Facebook, foursquare is a fad... let alone a cult.(IMO humble never did a thing in my life to make a million dollars etc opinion)

Twitter, a lot of people find as a convience.

Please Mr Cook please pass to your IOS engineers-

Mandetory Requirement For Next IOS Update -

ADD to IOS SETTINGS APP  the following new listing-

Social Services  - ADD/REMOVE present social services offered. Mandetory option - NONE. Default may remain Facebook and Twitter.

• Reply 29 of 66
    aizmov wrote: »
    I use Facebook but don't want all Facebook 'friends' in my contact list. Is there a way around it?

Run Contacts, select Contacts ---> Preferences, select Accounts. Is there a way to uncheck the Facebook account?
  • Reply 30 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    bregalad wrote: »
    The absolute last thing in the world I want is system-wide Facebook integration. Or system-wide Twitter integration or anything else really.
    Do you really want social media sites to know everything you do on your Mac?
    Do you really want every website and app developer to have access to your social media profiles?
    I don't.

THEN DON'T FLIPPING USE IT.

No one is making you use it.
    To be fair, I'd imagine that if you NEVER log into Facebook and set up the integration -- it's not a security issue.

However, a lot of people will, and then will wonder why they get hand written letters with pictures of their children asking them to give generously or someone from Nairobi cannot guarantee their safety.

You're absolutely right. They shouldn't allow web browsers or email or file sharing on computers, either. After all, there are some stupid users out there.
  • Reply 31 of 66

That has been true from the first release of Mountain Lion

• Reply 32 of 66
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Screw Facebook....does it have fixes for the battery drain and freeze issues? Those are the only things that are important to me.
  • Reply 33 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

I think your grasp of this is back to front - facebook and twitter don't know about everything you do on your mac, everything you do on you mac knows about your facebook and twitter so you can share stuff to them if you feel the need.... 

As for 3rd party apps and developers my understanding is that there is a common "Share" panel object that you send what you want to share to and then OSX / iOS handles the actual sharing so the 3rd party app never actually gets near your login details... saying that I've not got as far as looking at the share panel in XCode yet, so I may be wrong in this assumption.

If you don't want to use them then don't set up the credentials and apart from some redundant menu items (granted, they could hide the menu items if they aren't set up) on the share button nothing is different to before.

A lot of websites, including major news media, now have commenting systems that can use Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc. identities.

The system-wide login will tell those commenting systems who you are when you visit the site regardless of whether you want to post a comment or not. That's how social media sites are able to track your movement around the internet.

Facebook apps are granted access to your profile in a way that bypasses your privacy settings. I wouldn't be surprised if the Facebook comments system does the same thing. If so every website that has implemented Facebook comments has complete, unfettered access to your profile.

True or not I'm not willing to take that risk and don't want my heavy Facebook using friends and family to be inadvertently sharing everything with "the whole world" when they think their privacy settings will prevent that.

• Reply 34 of 66

There's also an EFI update for the Macbook Retina...

• Reply 35 of 66

Quote:

365.42 MB. That's certainly more than 7. Why am I afraid that's mainly useless FaceBook crap, since this is a delta update?

Remember the 802.11n activator utility that was $2 until a certain OS update? I'll gladly pay $2 to completely remove all software and UI elements relating to Twitter and Facebook from 10.8.2… 

Agreed! I'd kick in a fin. 

• Reply 36 of 66

Now, how to get rid of that Notification thing?

• Reply 37 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

It's nice in a way they left it there. The average user who doesn't read release notes can click Facebook or Twitter and it'll take them to the place to config the account. Thinking of the family members that call me for support....

There's a VERY simple answer to that.  After update present a dialog with 3 options:

Setup Facebook Integration now

Setup Facebook Integration later (options remain)

Do not integrate with Facebook (never see options)

• Reply 38 of 66

Quote:

Still shows up all across the UI. There's no reason for that.

So you're annoyed just because it's listed? Just ignore and move on.

Try to report it as a bug, Apple will surely fix that.

• Reply 39 of 66

Was about to setup facebook integration until I read that all your facebook contacts will download into your mac contacts address book. Are you freaking kidding me? Glad I read that first before I did it. Further on it says you can disable this feature in system preferences but I couldn't find it. So for people who set it up and then look for the setting to disable it, facebook is populating your mac address book with all those non-friends of yours. Why can't they have the option to disable it before you set it up? So no facebook integration for me. While I was there, I deleted my twitter integration as well. Funny how I don't seem to miss it. It's easy enough to just go to the facebook website if I want it.

• Reply 40 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Run Contacts, select Contacts ---> Preferences, select Accounts. Is there a way to uncheck the Facebook account?

Doesn't look like a way to disable that before you setup Facebook. No thanks. I don't need my address book populated with hundreds of people from facebook.