Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

Probably the original iPad, replacing what we knew as "tablets" before.

And then the iPhone, replacing what we knew as "smartphones" before.

You have to stick with SW on this one. They try new stuff with SW all the time, and have reversed their stance on it more than once. Safari had tabs on top for a spell; although that was a beta release. iMovie was redone and then they had to release the old version because it didn't have a lot of features people wanted. I think there was something like that with FCPX, too.

They won't be able to do that with Maps. The best could do now is approve Google's App Store submission and add a Settings option to change which map (and mail and browser apps are default) but we both know that won't happen for at least a year.

Some interesting choices:

if Google supplies an app and Apple approves it, immediately -- won't that be counterproductive to getting people to use the new app, finding and fixing problems and incenting 3rd-party developers to augment the new app.

Possibly, Apple could turn this around by by offering incentives to using the new app and submitting corrections -- something like an iTunes Store credit for every submitted and accepted correction.

• Reply 42 of 259

Quote:

When's the last time that Apple replaced something and then less than a year later everyone acknowledged that Apple's decision and outcome had become what was known as right?

You're making a software argument about Maps with hardware points, I'm not so sure that works. A better example would be say, not including Flash in iOS. 

• Reply 43 of 259
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    So you are going to remove my post Tallest Skil just because I criticised Apple and your over the top fanboy attitude. Apple messed up just be a man and accept that sometimes they are not 100% prefect.

I removed it, it's called inappropriate language. TS didn't object to it, a regular forum member did. If you just said Apple made a mistake or Apple messed up, that would have been OK.

I have probably been an Apple user since you where in nappies.

Personal attacks aren't allowed here. I think someone of your claimed age should be above that anyway.

How long someone says they have been using Apple products means little.
  • Reply 44 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

if Google supplies an app and Apple approves it, immediately -- won't that be counterproductive to getting people to use the new app, finding and fixing problems and incenting 3rd-party developers to augment the new app.

Possibly, Apple could turn this around by by offering incentives to using the new app and submitting corrections -- something like an iTunes Store credit for every submitted and accepted correction.

Given the situation you outlined, I think if Apple actually asked users for help in improving the Maps App - they'd have more help than they could process (probably already do considering the outcry).  That said, even if Google submits a Map App, it'll be the Apple Map App that will be the default for the phone (no resetting that in the settings panel unfortunately) so it'll get used alot (& feedback) even with a Google Map App.  JMHO...

• Reply 45 of 259
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What a bunch of whiners. image The newest iOS update has been out for a little more than 24 hours, and already certain knee-jerkers and other sorts of whiny people attempt to turn this into some sort of big issue, as if their lives are doomed.

Yes, if you live in the middle of nowhere, or some foreign country that isn't adequately represented in the app yet, then rest assured, Apple will eventually get to your neck of the woods. In the meantime, if using maps is important to you, then just use something else. Whining will get you nowhere.

• Reply 46 of 259

I simply cannot understand what all the whining and whingeing is about. Someone else said this situation should hardly be surprising since this is Apple Maps V 1.0 whereas Google Maps is V 6.0. You can easily access Google Maps using the iPhone's web browser and soon I'm sure Google will release its own Maps App. Moreover, Apple will continually upgrade its maps and I look forward to the day when it is actually better than Google. i am sure it will come sooner than anyone could imagine. 

• Reply 47 of 259
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,206member

For what people are used to doing with the app, Maps @ 6.0 pretty much sucks. This is worse than other backward steps Apple has made, such as the new iPad being heavier, bulkier and having a slower-to-charge battery, because there is no going back to iOS 5.x. Currently it seems 5.x users will not be receiving timely security updates either.

I hope the indications of a Google-branded Maps app are true and that Apple doesn't hold it back. For positive spin, one might point out that Google needn't have developed a full-blown competing OS--replete with patent infringing features--in order to remain competitive on the iPhone.

• Reply 48 of 259

Some might not use it but I doubt most will even realize it's a different backend (or that Google was ever the backend) and since you can't change your default apps it will get used.

I haven't used the YouTube app since playing in the browser was possible.

Q: Would it be right for Apple to deny Google a Map app in the App Store simply because they want more people to use their app? If Google doesn't follow their guidelines then they should deny it, but to deny it simply because it's from Google is not something I would expect any reasonable person to accept.
  • Reply 49 of 259

For those who are suggesting to use a 3rd party navigation app to fill in the gaps, my question is why pay for something (other than turn-by-turn) we were getting for free for the last 5 years?  I think it would've been a smart idea for Apple to tag the Beta label on this just like they did with Siri and wait till the app was good enough before releasing the Beta label.  

• Reply 50 of 259
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Let's see...

iMovie - still not as good as iMovie HD (some people like it better, but it doesn't have as much functionality, other than making YouTube videos).

QuickTime X - no contest (still doesn't have the functionality of QT 7, and having controls block the screen is idiotic).

Final Cut Pro X - some improvements have helped, but many Pros still can't use it.

Address Book - now pretty ugly, lots of wasted space - you have to scroll more to move down the list.

iTunes - version 9 still the best. Version 10 made uglier (list view in particular - smaller artwork, album title not under album).

The new iTunes will be a shock with how much functionality is lost (for music collectors).

iPod nano - no later version has been as good as the "fat boy" version (my opinion, probably in the minority here).

Not every decision Apple makes is a good one. After saying that, I fully expect Apple's Maps to end up being good - maybe after 18 months or so. Maybe they could have kept Google Maps as an alternative until then, maybe not.

• Reply 51 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

I simply cannot understand what all the whining and whingeing is about. Someone else said this situation should hardly be surprising since this is Apple Maps V 1.0 whereas Google Maps is V 6.0. You can easily access Google Maps using the iPhone's web browser and soon I'm sure Google will release its own Maps App.

Where were you last week when Facebook announced that going with HTML5 instead of a native app was a huge mistake?

iOS 6 was in beta for a long time... so where is the Google-branded Maps app? Apple needs to do better than leave its customers in the lurch for any period of time. Apple didn't need to see the public reviews to know the reviews would be highly critical, if developers operating under NDA had only been canvased.

• Reply 52 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

For those who are suggesting to use a 3rd party navigation app to fill in the gaps, my question is why pay for something (other than turn-by-turn) we were getting for free for the last 5 years?  

Most of the apps I've seen recommended for filling in the gaps are free, but this doesn't take into account the effort, lack of convenience, non-uniformity of UIs, etc. that simply can't be avoided now.

• Reply 53 of 259
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    I'm not upgrading to IOS 6 and I have cancelled my first day iPhone 5 purchase opportunity. For me, a large part of the iPhones appeal is Google Maps and street view. I already put up with not having offline maps and now there is an inadequate mapping app. The last thing I want is to ditch iPhone but I will if I have to.
  • Reply 54 of 259
    I don't have any problems with Apple maps and think Apple made the right decision. I say good riddance to Google maps and I know I won't miss it.

Bring on the future!!!
  • Reply 55 of 259
    For the time being it definitely isn't on par with Google Maps. I can definitely compliment iOS 6's maps in that they zoom in and out quickly and beautifully—this is an area that Google Maps on iOS was always terrible with—and where I live, in a major city, I'm not (yet) seeing major problems. But looking at some of those other locations it looks like the new iOS 6 maps are terrible.

Apple's got to start somewhere, though. Even it it looks like this one might have deserved at least another year in the oven. And while iOS 6's maps progress and become better people can still use Google Maps through their browser and save a bookmarklet to the home screen (not as good as the older native app) and there are alternative services as well.
  • Reply 56 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have a few honest questions for users of Google Maps on Android phones and Tablets:

1. does it include ads?

2. is it tracking you?

3. can you opt out of ads or tracking?

4. would you prefer a private mapping mode?

5. is none of this a problem?

1. I've never seen an ad on my maps.

2. Yes it tracks me. I like it that way

3. I have no idea

4. No

5. None of this is a problem

I like searching for a place I might go, and then having a link in my notification bar with directions to that place. I like this level of integration.

• Reply 57 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I'm surprised they didn't call it a beta like they did with Siri.

You can't call a core feature of the OS a beta. This is where Apple has put themselves between a rock and hard place. 

They *had* to pass off their beta-ware maps app as a key feature that is a viable (and *allegedly* superior) replacement for Google Maps. 

The app is clearly a beta effort, but hiding behind that label would make Apple lose even more credibility (in this area) than they already have. So now we all have to pretend everything is ok and that we're more than happy to wait. For how long no one really knows. 

• Reply 58 of 259
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I went for my morning walk today and due to the lack of street view, I can't find my house, now I am forever doomed to roam these nameless streets...

.../s

• Reply 59 of 259
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    You can't call a core feature of the OS a beta. This is where Apple has put themselves between a rock and hard place. 

They *had* to pass off their beta-ware maps app as a key feature that is a viable (and *allegedly* superior) replacement for Google Maps. 

The app is clearly a beta effort, but hiding behind that label would make Apple lose even more credibility (in this area) than they already have. So now we all have to pretend everything is ok and that we're more than happy to wait. For how long no one really knows. 

You don't have to pretend anything. Just walk right into wherever they sell Android phones in Canada and buy one. It's really that simple.
  • Reply 60 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I went for my morning walk today and due to the lack of street view, I can't find my house, now I am forever doomed to roam these nameless streets...

.../s

I guess you've only got a few hours left until your battery is dead, so so long!