Your favorite foreign film?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    Ordet by Carl Dreyer
  • Reply 42 of 66
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Would BRAZIL be considered a foreign film? I do believe so. It's one of the best modern films of 'our' time (our is relative....)
  • Reply 43 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by mountainyeti42:

<strong>Ordet by Carl Dreyer</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wow :eek: :cool:
  • Reply 44 of 66
    shadygshadyg Posts: 64member
    Lord of the Rings

- ShadyG
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Re: the whole ?foreign? issue.

For some here, American is foreign. But I see what you mean, so I'll treat this thread as one of ?global cinema?, emphasis on films from outside the U.S. and/or outside the Hollywoodian norms.

Anyway, for me there is just cinema.

[quote]Originally posted by zKillah:

<strong><a href="http://www.filmsduparadoxe.com/images/covers/europaeu_c.jpg"; target="_blank">Europa Europa</a>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

A very personal and touching cinema, very fitting for a very singular and and true story.

A few oldies i can think of right now:

M by Fritz Lang

Its kind-a feels to me more relevent to our times as it gets older.

La Grande Illusion by Jean Renoir.

Excellent film.

L'Âge d'Or by Luis Buñuel.

Surrealist, yes, but also naive in its own way.

Les Tontons Flingueurs

A funny film noir.

Aleksandr Nevsky by Sergei Mikhailovitch Eisenstein

See it!

[quote]Originally posted by pfflam:

<strong>Ran- Kurosawa --Japanese --masterpiece -shakespeare samurai</strong><hr></blockquote>

What I thought when I saw it back in the 80s

?Japanese King Lear beating the crap out of the other King Lear, just like with cars and stereos?.

[quote]<strong>[?]

Burnt By the Sun --Mikhailkov (sp?)Russian -bout Stalin's rise to power</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unless I'm misled by the title in English, it's Utomlennie Solntsem / Soleil Trompeur, which tells the last day of (relative) freedom of a Soviet general and revolutinary hero (played by the director Nikita Mikhalkov), just about to be purged for Stalin by a relative too. A tale of betrayal.

Entertaining flick, I liked it too.

Also:

Nuovo Cinema Paradiso by Giuseppe Tornatore

Very touching film.

L'Armée des Ombres by Jean Pierre Melleville

The telling tale of the very courageous few.

Vostok-Zapad / Est-Ouest by Régis Wargnier

I enjoyed this story about some really foolish people.

Chicken Run (which is still English) by Peter Lord & Nick Park.

Not just a poultry show.

Safar E Gandehar by Mokhsen Makhmalbaf

Nice film, thoughtfully executed cheap shots on the neighbouring country's mullahs, applicable to your mullahs too.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: Immanuel Goldstein ]</p>
  • Reply 46 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>Yeah, but this thread is about foreign films, not American ones.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's pretty funny. It's even funnier, because it's serious.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Oh. Here:

Rendezvous by Claude Lelouch.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    There is so many good film even outside US :

from Italia : Satyricon Fellini, the Cheetah from Visconti (Peck is fantastic, Claudia Cardinale is gorgieous), Sergio leone movies especially once upon a time it was america with De niro and Wood (incredible nostalgia, great acting, great story, great direction).

From germany, Fritz Lang movies.

From GB david Lean moovies (lawrence of Arabia), Kubrick (but he was a US people living in UK, after the scandal of his movie Lolita).

From France , comic classical like the Tonton Flingueurs (il n'y a pas que de la pomme *), la Grande Vadrouille, un elephant ça trompe enormement.

Miscellaenous : the city of the lost children. Police : le cercle rouge. la grande illusion de renoir, la belle et la bete de Cocteau. Amelie

Sweden: Fanny and Alexander : great movie.

Spain : luis bunuel : belle de jour with Catherine Deneuve playing a bitch. And Pedro aldomovar : talons aiguilles (sorry for the translation).

And i miss many of them
  • Reply 49 of 66
    [quote]From GB david Lean movies (lawrence of Arabia), Kubrick (but he was a US people living in UK, after the scandal of his movie Lolita). <hr></blockquote>

i agree with all your choices, all good......it's just that kubrick left america BEFORE lolita. (i think lolita was considered provacative, more than scandalous at the time of release) the reasons were various depending on who tells you. he had just gotten divorced, got messed around by hollywood in some movie he was supposed to do with brando. i'd always been told he just hated america, but i've read since that wasn't the case.he liked american t.v.

he was a huge seinfeld fan apparently. (seriously)
  • Reply 50 of 66
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Ok I listed my all time greats, here are some other good ones

Atanarjuat - the fast runner yes very very beautiful film, made by the Inuits in Inuit: great example of the Inuit ritual drum competition!!!

With A Friend Like Harry --Its French, it's also a sexist film that makes a direct link between creativity and masculinity via equating Pen and poetry and Penis to Knife as weapon and power, featuring a pink bathroom as womb/vagina metaphor etc . . . despite its 'phallocentrism" its a well constructed and enjoyable film with all the parts making a thought-out (though problematic whole)

Naked --Intense study of a man vs an unjust creation . . . a gnostic parable?!?! David Thewelis(sp?) some of the best acting ever . . . . outside of:

Sexy Beast --that this did not sweep the oscars is laughable . . . however, one the oscar for best actor and supporting actor should quit in shame when they see this film and compare their sorry arse career to these acting masters!!!!!

The Apu Trilogy -Satyajit Ray, cinema!!

Knife In The Water --early Pollanski, excellent.

the Devils --starring Oliver Reed, based on a Huxley book about which burnings by the filmmaker that made Tommy, Ken Russel. . . . . which reminds me he also made:

Dante's Inferno --not about Dante allegheri but about Rossetti, the victorian poet and painter . . . its about death and love and art . . . very good scenes where Russel edits his poems to fir his life, powerfull scenes

The Taste of Cherry --Koirostami -- Iranian . .. about a filmmaker that wants to bury himself and tries but fails

Mephisto --based on the true story about an actor during WW2 . . . written by Thomas Mann's son, also, of course on the Faust myth

oh yeah, the proper title for this one film I listed above is:

Khrustalev, My Car! and its Directed by Aleksandr Zel'dovich . . . very masterful, and difficult movie

Brazil.

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: pfflam ]</p>
  • Reply 51 of 66
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Anything from Tarkofsky (sp) = Russia

Sante Sangre by Alexandro Ordorosky (sp) = Spain

Anything from Sagit Ray = India (my fave director)

Drowning by Numbers by Peter Greenway = UK

Anything From India! "Baliwood"! Gumaan, etc...

[ 03-03-2003: Message edited by: dstranathan ]</p>
  • Reply 52 of 66
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    gelding I was trying to remember the name of All About My Mother when I was out buying DVDs thanks, gotta get that.

My favorite is a German movie called Bandits.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar:

<strong>

i agree with all your choices, all good......it's just that kubrick left america BEFORE lolita. (i think lolita was considered provacative, more than scandalous at the time of release) the reasons were various depending on who tells you. he had just gotten divorced, got messed around by hollywood in some movie he was supposed to do with brando. i'd always been told he just hated america, but i've read since that wasn't the case.he liked american t.v.

he was a huge seinfeld fan apparently. (seriously)</strong><hr></blockquote>

i read this, in an article in a TV magazine. However i am not sure that this magazine is good journalism, so i am ready to believe you.

Some years ago, during an interview Kirk Douglas, said about Kubrik (Spartacus) : Kubrik was a genius, but he was a moron (or an asshole : something like that). Kubrik was a very complex character, perhaps we would never understand the reasons of his choices.

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: Powerdoc ]</p>
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Great list Immanuel. Great list everyone. Here?s another film I liked that wasn?t mentioned:

Also,

not sure if it was a British or an American production, but a while back I was watching the movie Snatch staring Brat Pitt. It had me rolling on the floor with laughter. The script writer deserves an Oscar.

[ 03-04-2003: Message edited by: zKillah ]</p>
  • Reply 55 of 66
    Y Tu Mama Tambien by Alfonso Cuaron. (Unrated edition)

Anything by Fellini will do.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    SPJ - wow almost 3000 posts and then *poof* you're gone. And now you're back for a favorite foreign film thread.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    EVEN DWARFS STARTED SMALL.

Werner Herzog
  • Reply 58 of 66
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>EVEN DWARFS STARTED SMALL.

Werner Herzog</strong><hr></blockquote>Herzog rocks!!

I've seen him talk a number of times and a person with whom I made my very first film (super8) is now working with him . . .

I believe that Sante Sangre was by Jodorowski --Polish(background)/Mexican . . . his film

El Topo is much better . . . super wierd, Surrealist extravganza
  • Reply 59 of 66
    [quote]Originally posted by pfflam:

<strong>Herzog rocks!! I've seen him talk a number of times....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Have you seen MY BEST FIEND? I definitely recommend that to anyone reading this list.

It's a documentary about the 5 films Herzog & Kinski made together. It's unbelievable. If you watch it and don't go out and buy the Anchor Bay numbered, limited to 5000 copies, color cordinated mini-DVD keep case versions of their films you're insane.

Fellini, Herzog, Goddard, Bunel, all great 'foreign' filmmakers.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Snatch was British, written and directed by Mr. Madonna-aka Guy Richie- the original mockney wannabe. Good film tho', as was his first, Lock stock etc. Don't mention Swept Away.