Google Maps adds new 45-degree satellite imagery to take on Apple's Flyover

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think you are taking what I said the wrong way and I probably worded it badly. I am saying Google has very little presence on mobile web period and it just got a whole lot less ....how is that not a problem?

Of course it could become a problem, as I already wrote myself in the original reply to you:

"... someday in the future unless they develop (if they haven't already) an effective mobile plan that relies very little on Apple's cooperation."

• Reply 42 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

GOOG's relatively good performance recently has a lot to do with people migrating their portfolio from FB to GOOG, and very little to do with AAPL.

And we know this because every recent purchaser of GOOG shares has confessed to selling FB to fund their new investment?

• Reply 43 of 81

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

They said they loved all their customers yet Google maps for iOS was never updated with any significant features in 5 years…

B…b…b…but Apple is the one that didn't update anything! image

• Reply 44 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

And we know this because every recent purchaser of GOOG shares has confessed to selling FB to fund their new investment?

It would surprise me too if traders were selling Apple shares to buy GOOG in any significant numbers. They've both done pretty darn well this year. Some of the other tech stocks including Facebook? Not so much...

• Reply 45 of 81

who cares about google maps, the maps in ios 6 is NOT that bad, I have not had any issue actually

• Reply 46 of 81
    jragosta wrote: »
    As usual, you're using a meaningless figure.
    No one cares what percentage of Google's total revenue comes from iOS. Mobile devices are a small portion of Google's total revenue overall. Your comparison is like saying that GM should never try to make the Corvette competitive with Porsche because the Corvette is only a small portion of their revenues.
    A much more relevant question is what percentage of mobile revenues come from iOS. That is, how do revenues from Android, RIM, WIndows mobile, etc stack up against iOS revenues? And by that analysis, iOS had something like 80% of Google's total mobile revenues.
    I think that the entire premise of this article raises some interesting questions:
    1. If Google has already implemented this, it negates their claim that Apple caught them by surprise. They clearly had some advance idea that Apple was going to do this and had the response almost ready to go.
    2. Why in the world did they pick the remote cities that they did? While Apple is offering flyover for New York, San Francisco, etc, Google is offering Kankakee, IL and Gulfport, MS.
    3. OTOH, if Google had this ready to go previously and only released it because of Apple, why? Do they not care enough about their customers to improve their apps until Apple forces them to? We already know that they don't care about iOS customers because they've left out important features there, but it seems like they don't care about any of their customers.
    Looks to me like it's a very good thing for customers that Apple has done this.
    BTW, anyone else notice the typical hypocrisy of the Apple hater? When they're defending Android's fragmentation, choice is good. The consumer benefits from thousands of different devices and OS variety that's so confusing that even the experts can't keep it straight. But when it comes to Apple introducing a new product into the market place that gives consumers another choice, they're the paragon of evil.

Apple didn't surprise Google. Apple's mapping and navigation acquisitions have been well publicized since 2009. Apple's Maps app was previewed at WWDC in June 2012.
    I think you are taking what I said the wrong way and I probably worded it badly. I am saying Google has very little presence on mobile web period and it just got a whole lot less ....how is that not a problem?

The link provided is interesting since mobile share of Google revenues has apparently already dropped considerably since mobile revenue comprised 6.58% of Google revenue in 2011. Has Google already taken a massive hit from Siri?

"During the company's conference call, Google's new chief executive Larry Page noted a "run rate" of $2.5 billion in annual mobile revenues (income derived from Android, iOS, and other platforms), growth of about 2.5 times the company's 2010 mobile revenues, but a tiny fraction of the revenues Apple is generating as a hardware maker." (1)

"While Google's chief executive Larry Page recently described an $2.5 billion annual run rate for the company's mobile revenues, the company has testified that it has earned less than $550 million from Android across four years from 2008 to 2011." (2)

“Mobile ads associated with maps or locations are estimated to account for about 25% of the roughly $2.5 billion spent on mobile ads in 2012, according to Opus Research, up from 10% in 2010. That is expected to grow as the number of location-aware software apps grows." (3)

Google produces USD $2.5 bn annually in mobile revenues (as of 2011)
    80% of Google mobile revenues are (were) generated through Apple products
    25% of Google mobile revenues are (were) generated specifically through maps and locations services (presumably) 80% of which was from the Apple iOS platform (as previously stated)

1. Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 13 October 2011. Google announces nearly $10 billion in quarterly revenue, little mention of Android. Apple Insider. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
    2. Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 29 March 2012. Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android. Apple Insider. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
    3. Jessica E. Vascellaro and Amir Efrati. Published 4 June 2012. Apple and Google Expand Their Battle to Mobile Maps. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
  • Reply 47 of 81

A small but useful addition. Which Bing has had for ages.

• Reply 48 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Apple didn't surprise Google. Apple's mapping and navigation acquisitions have been well publicized since 2009. Apple's Maps app was previewed at WWDC in June 2012.

The link provided is interesting since mobile share of Google revenues has apparently already dropped considerably since mobile revenue comprised 6.58% of Google revenue in 2011. Has Google already taken a massive hit from Siri?

It's impossible to tell from any of those figures as far as I can see. Mobile ad revenue as a percentage of total Google revenues could have dropped simply because Google has gotten even better at desktop search over the past year or so. Their total revenues are up considerably YOY.  there's also sources that claim mobile click rates are lower than others, reducing the ad revenues contributed by mobile users overall. 

There's a fairly in-depth article about some of the factors here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/googles-mobile-ad-business-is-radically-altering-the-quality-of-its-revenues-2012-4?op=1

Note tho that after the article was published Google surprised WallStreet by coming in well above revenue projections in the following quarter.

• Reply 49 of 81

I'll ask again: are the 45 degree images for mobile device apps? Along with the web version? If not, then why are so many people saying "Who cares? I'll stick with Apples Maps!"

Do the 45 degree images appear on the Google Maps app in iOS 5.1.1?

• Reply 50 of 81

First they poo-poo'd Apple's lower-angle view, and now…? It's a complete 45-degree turnaround on Google's part. Flip-(a-little)-Floppers!

(Someone asked for humor. Best I could come up with on short notice.)

Actually, I don't think the Apple Maps are that bad. Yes, it's v1.0, and there's plenty to rag on about, but if you step back and view it entirely on its own merits, it's not so awful, and as a v1.0 it's pretty amazing. 

That apologist-sounding excuse aside, I prefer many things about Apple's Maps over Google, or MapQuest, or whatever… They could have maybe handled the transition away from Google a bit less abruptly. And Maps definitely has a good way to go to be on par with the other dedicated providers. But remember that once Apple gets on course with a thing, they tend to do it better than anyone else. Not always, but usually...

It'll be interesting to see where Maps is in 6 months from now. I suspect the complaints will be all but gone, and it will be the app of choice for most people by then...

• Reply 51 of 81
    They can add gold leaf to the edges it doesn't matter. Apple are not going back and Google knows iOS has virtually the entire mobile web market sewn up. Those latest numbers showing Android tablets with less than 2% market share of web traffic are also seen by Google's advertising clients. iPhones make up a massive market share as hardware but again in terms of web traffic they swamp Android phones. Google are facing massive losses in revenue. Apple will improve their maps fast.

Please, maps was not a cash cow. All it lost was the licensing fee Apple was paying which was probably a few million. There are now enough Android devices for them to draw data from.
  • Reply 52 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It would surprise me too if traders were selling Apple shares to buy GOOG in any significant numbers. They've both done pretty darn well this year. Some of the other tech stocks including Facebook? Not so much...

My point is that as one stock swings up and another down, it is fruitless to suggest investors are abandoning the first to invest in the second. That suggests a sequence of events that cannot be proven without first hand accounts from those investors.

• Reply 53 of 81
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Where are all the Fandroids that insisted flyover was useless?

<crickets>

• Reply 54 of 81

Wow.

cannot believe Google is resorting to used car salesman tactics.

Apple did something revolutionary with their 3d rendering, which saves users on data downloads, increasing map speed and saving from data overages.

Google is simply doing the same thing as before, using IMAGES (not bandwidth saving 3D renders) and slanting them.

Pathetic.

Now I KNOW they're hurting.

Apple's maps are the new hotness, Google's just putting liptstick on a (bandwidth) pig.

• Reply 55 of 81
    That thing labelled "Cathedral of Pisa" is actually the bell tower next to the Cathedral of Pisa. Hurry up, start up a Tumblr: Google45DegreeGoofs, call the WSJ, put it on Yahoo's front page!
  • Reply 56 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHecta View Post

I'll ask again: are the 45 degree images for mobile device apps? Along with the web version? If not, then why are so many people saying "Who cares? I'll stick with Apples Maps!"

Do the 45 degree images appear on the Google Maps app in iOS 5.1.1?

Actually Google Maps added a bunch of cities to its already existing 45 degree features. Nothing to do with iOS, Cook's apology, mobile, etc. AI incorrectly stated that it is introducing this feature.

• Reply 57 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeiteasy View Post

Actually Google Maps added a bunch of cities to its already existing 45 degree features. Nothing to do with iOS, Cook's apology, mobile, etc. AI incorrectly stated that it is introducing this feature.

Yeah look at my earlier post.

All the other sites covering this "news" article about the 45 degree photos are all referencing it in comparison to Tim Cook's apology today, as well. Doesn't make sense to me. But whatever.

• Reply 58 of 81
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

AI:  Get with it.  45 Degree view in Google Maps has been around for a while now.  Totally Apple-biased article.  I believe it was implemented to compete with Bing Map's "Brid's Eye View".  Maybe not in all the cities listed here but it has been around for a while.

• Reply 59 of 81
    john.b wrote: »
    Where are all the Fandroids that insisted flyover was useless?

<crickets>

Whoever said that? Much of Google's so called satellite view was taken from a plane.
  • Reply 60 of 81

For what its' worth DigitalGlobe, the source for (all?) Bing's "Bird's- eye" imagery is also a partner with Google for "satellite view"...

as well as Apple's satellite views too.

The currency of the imagery seems to vary between them in some areas tho. Here Apple's sat views are quite old (and lower resolution) compared to what Google shows. But another poster mentioned that in San Fran Google sat view seems to be a bit behind the times.