'iPad mini' mockup compared to Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    flaneur wrote: »
    In contrast to iSheldon, which rolls off the tongue.

You should talk- didn't you misspell your name using a "n" rather than an "m"? :lol:
  • Reply 22 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    isheldon wrote: »
    I hope to Gawd it's not called "iPad mini" because that is truly barf inducing.

Why would you care? You hate everything Apple has ever done and apparently get paid to spread FUD, so it should make your job easier if it were really 'barf inducing'.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) This mockup has always looked thick. Probably because of the relative smallness of it because it's clearly thinner than the iPhone 4S and all other 7" tablets.

2) Looking at the battery life gains for the same performance just by going to 32nm from 45nm this should be tops. I do think they'll stick with the iPod Touch A5 for cost reasons but if they do go full custom A6 (â la Cortex A15-like) they could save a lot more power for a relative performance. One would have to compare both to see the total cost — and I think a very, very light weight is highly important with this iPad — but I think an A5 is most likely.

3) Like on the iPhone the bezel can be smaller than on the iPad if it weighs under a certain amount. The point of the bezel is for a grip that doesn't obstruct the display. This should so light that the minimal bezel will be more than sufficient. Scratch that... Apple has surely tested what a useable bezel is for this device class.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    jragosta wrote: »
    Why would you care? You hate everything Apple has ever done and apparently get paid to spread FUD, so it should make your job easier if it were really 'barf inducing'.

iSteno would be much preferred but what do I know?
    I just dread the original being referred to now as the iPad Maxi to differentiate from it.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Seems to me like Apple is moving away from 4:3, seeing how the iPhone 5 as well as the new iPod touch are both 16:9. Make more sense for the mini to continue that and be 16:9 as well.

The previous iPhone standard was 3:2, so Apple hasn't officially moved anything away from 4:3 yet.

Apple II wrote: »
    Yes, that earlier mockup is 4:3, which is completely different than the new mockup, which is 16:9.

I'll just think of it as a hobbyist with too much time on their hands in both cases, to hoax people. There's no reason for us to believe either of them are intended to be mockups of a real project, much less both.

If a project is far enough along for Apple to provide physical test dummies to a case maker, they're almost certainly not going to make such a major change to the product that late in the design cycle.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Or, they can go ala Kotex, i.e. MiniPads and MaxiPads... It truly is describing Apple wonderfully...; it sucks its users' blood. Or, going further in the case of Apple map..., it truly sucks, period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I just dread the original being referred to now as the iPad Maxi to differentiate from it.

• Reply 27 of 36
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I was very worried that 7.85" would be too big to be a suitable replacement for my 7" Android tablet. If those measurements are correct though, the 5.3" width is actually narrower than my 4:3 ratio 7" tablet. That has got me very excited about this product again! Time to thaw out the Visa!
  • Reply 28 of 36

Obviously not very much. But that's obvious to anyone who reads your FUD.

So you've moved up to 6th grade attacks. Does it hurt you that much when Apple is successful?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    jragosta wrote: »
    Does it hurt you that much when Apple is successful?

No, but it utterly pains me when it fails at mapping,

But back on topic, this looks like it could actually be 16:9 like the iPhone5 and would actually make more sense to fit the new gaming app ratios.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3) Like on the iPhone the bezel can be smaller than on the iPad if it weighs under a certain amount. The point of the bezel is for a grip that doesn't obstruct the display. This should so light that the minimal bezel will be more than sufficient. Scratch that... Apple has surely tested what a useable bezel is for this device class.

Yes, and sAdditionally - Big hands will have no problem holding this device single handed from underneath, and small hands are likely to use this in horizontal view. In fact, I'd wager this device will be used more in landscape view than portrait across the board.

• Reply 31 of 36

Bottom Line: Will it fit into my standard L.L. Bean cargo pants pocket?

It appears to be too tall... ergo, no deal :(

• Reply 32 of 36
    No, but it utterly pains me when it fails at mapping,

It must absolutely kill you when Google (who has been doing mapping for nearly a decade) fails at mapping, then.

And I'm still waiting for some evidence that Apple fails any more frequently than Google. Why is it that you are incapable of offering any comparative evidence?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    I wouldn't mind one of these.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Yeah, but we've seen two wholly different shapes in the mockups.

I love it! Different mockups, different ratios, by whom, exactly? And then, based on one, a prominent individual makes an observation on what the real iPad will be like.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamp-Donkey View Post

People keep saying there is a 16:9 mockup?  I haven't seen it.  Can somone post a link or a pic?

Or are people just confused because of the thin side bezel on the 3:4 mockup?  Mistaking it for 16:9?

There isn't. Earlier this evening I downloaded the paper cutout for the iPad Mini mockup and then cut the side bezels down to 1/8th of an inch.

The result is about a 1/4" bigger than the original Kindle Fire in height and width and looks like a 16:9 tablet.

Go here:

http://www.macstories.net/news/get-a-sense-of-what-a-7-85-ipad-mini-would-be-like/

Download and print the mockup.

Then cut the size bezels down.

• Reply 36 of 36

GOOGLE Nexus 7 by ASUS has more pixel front camera (1.2 m vs no) , more capacity internal storage (16 g vs 8 g) , however Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7 has faster processor speed (1.5 ghz vs 1.2 ghz) , higher height (5 inch vs 4.72 inch) ,

I personal prefer to Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7, by compare them at

http://tabletvs.net/compare/GOOGLE-Nexus-7-by-ASUS-vs-Amazon-Kindle-Fire-HD-7