Suppliers see 'frustrating' yields building Apple's 'iPad mini,' supply constraints expected

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

That is why you should stick with Samsung. Tried and true supplier that gets results. 

• Reply 22 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

If their quality control of the iPad-mini is as bad as iOS 6, even a limited supply is going to be plenty.

Troll needs food, badly!

• Reply 23 of 78
    citycity Posts: 522member

Hopefully the "mini" iPad will have a retina display and not a rectum display. It is necessary so as to farther distinguish it from potentially competing devices and maintain perceived value. Then a price of $339.00-$399.00 for 16GB Wi-Fi model and $429.00-$479.00 for 16GB cellular. The lower price point only if Apple is "feeling" the competition. There will be no need for a 32GB model or the iPad 2.

• Reply 24 of 78
    19841984 Posts: 955member

iPad

iPad with Retina Display

iPad mini

iPad mini with Retina Display

Wishful thinking?

• Reply 25 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

If their quality control of the iPad-mini is as bad as iOS 6, even a limited supply is going to be plenty.

Yup. That's why there's plenty of oversupply of the iPhone 5.

Go away, troll.

• Reply 26 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Yield on vaporware products is serious business...   and component is causing the problem?  or is the assembly?

It's probably the riots in China. Or is that Brazil? Or maybe there's road construction around the plants in the US and workers can't get to work. Maybe it's a shortage of cardboard for packaging. Or the FCC has been slow to approve it. Or they can't get the color quite right. Or there's a problem with the cameras and they have to redesign them.

Give it up people. We don't even know if it's a real product yet, so pretending you know something about the production status is absurd.
  • Reply 27 of 78

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Sounds like the sort of false info that Apple lets leak out to increase demand for panic buying to get them before Christmas.

Why does that make sense to do?

• Reply 28 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Limited supply makes it more desirable.

The Apple logo makes it more desirable. The playbook was limited and yet no one wanted them.

The analysts will claim it's a failure if it doesn't sell 5 MM in the first week or so even if it outsold every other <10" tablets.

• Reply 29 of 78
    I'm wondering if the mini will be an el cheapo design, using only trusted components (essentially the iPad 2 with a smaller scre, derived from iPhone 3GS), or if Apple thinks they can't, even with a 'low cost device', enter into the market with such old components. In which case they might go for economies of scale and use the A6 from the iPhone 5 and a non-retina in-cell screen. I hope for the latter, as my old trusted iPad 1 is in dire need of replacement.
    Are there any other components where there is a similar choice?
    - LTE or no? definitely don't believe in LTE
    - DC-HSPA/HSPA (as with iPhone 5) or lower grade? no clue, I bet lower as the would use the latest non-LTE chip which I think did not include DC-HSPA.
    - WLAN dual-band or single band? sure dual as even the iPad 1 is already dual.
    - Bluetooth 4 or 2.1 EDR? Sure 2.1 would be no cheaper, so I put my money on 4.
    - Micro or nano SIM? I read micro somewhere today, but I bet it'll be nano.
    - Camera: 8 / 5 / less megapixel? I believe in 5 (ie no iPhone 5/4s quality, but on par with iPad 3).
  • Reply 30 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Limited supply makes it more desirable.

This is more like

'so I'm talking bullshit and I don't want anyone to figure that out so I'm going to make up fake supplier issues'

He's making it sound like they haven't figured out how to set up their lines etc for this size device. But that would have been worked out ages ago when they prototyped the units. Especially if it was meant to be out last month
  • Reply 31 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Are there any products Apple puts out that doesn't have supply problems? .

That is true. If you are talking iOS and launch period, for every unit built there a at least 2 folks that want it. Nothing to do with quality of the supply etc but simple desire being way more than what is humanly possible to produce. Apple has very logical reasons for not building units for six months and warehousing them so they aren't likely to change that game supplies will always be limited at the top.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Sounds like the sort of false info that Apple lets leak out to increase demand for panic buying to get them before Christmas.

You do know how sales work, right?  Apple makes money by selling products, not by producing a small quantity and hoping the hype creates a bidding war.  This isn't eBay.

• Reply 33 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    evilution wrote: »

Please explain the logic in that. Consider several facts:

1. Virtually all of Apples iDevices have been sold out for months after release.
    2. Apple never comments on products before launch, so releasing any information would be a drastic change in policy.
    3. If people really want a small tablet for Christmas and think that the iPad will be sold out, they might buy something else instead - costing Apple sales volume.

So what logic would cause Apple to fuel the media feeding frenzy on unannounced products?
  • Reply 34 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Please explain the logic in that. Consider several facts:

1. Virtually all of Apples iDevices have been sold out for months after release.

2. Apple never comments on products before launch, so releasing any information would be a drastic change in policy.

3. If people really want a small tablet for Christmas and think that the iPad will be sold out, they might buy something else instead - costing Apple sales volume.

So what logic would cause Apple to fuel the media feeding frenzy on unannounced products?

agreed. with this and others that basically say 'leaking' supply issues is 'good for business'

the only plausible Apple leak is the alternative 'offensive forensic' leak.  Apple is leaking misinformation to see who is leaking what to whom, and then the 'wetwork'  ensues.

• Reply 35 of 78
    1984 wrote: »
    iPad
    iPad with Retina Display

iPad mini
    iPad mini with Retina Display

Wishful thinking?

Not really.

iPad mini with E-Ink - then I'd get excited.
    Something to read in direct sunlight with one hand and running off a looooong charge.
    Like a high tech Kindle on iOS.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

I don't see how the yields could be 'frustrating'. The screen is smaller but it's not retina so shouldn't be hard to make. Other parts, they're essentially already in production for other iDevices.

For what it's worth the casing is very unique.  It's shaped like the plastic backs of the 3G iPhone with "hidden" curves, it also has large "lips" inside that require extensive undercutting.  It's not a shape that is typically produced by the C&C process they use for their other aluminium products.  It's a shape that typically would be moulded as the 3G backs were.  

This is why I originally thought that the backs would be plastic.  This shape would require significant extra work to produce in aluminium, more steps in the manufacturing process, more human handling etc. 

Really, really, really, wish they had gone with plastic.  Especially if this puppy turns out to be over the $250 mark or if it turns out to be a heavy brick like the iPad 3, they may regret the aluminium decision.  

• Reply 37 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny 6220 View Post

Fully agree, the iPad Mini (or whatever it turns out to be called) is going after the growing 7inch eReader market, it will have leverage of the Apple brand and the fact that it will be more than just an eReader hopefull a fully functional iPad gives it real buyer attraction. Price point will be critical, the lack of a Retina display will not be as crucial here as it seems, the high quality of the original iPad display masked the 1024x768 resolution somewhat and the iPad Mini with its smaller screen area will do this even more so. This will be a pivotal post Steve Jobs product launch (more so than the iPhone5) as it sees the product road map moving out of what was its original space. Should be interesting!

I agree with all of this.  People talking about $300 (and above) price ranges are insane.  

The price to hit is $200.  They could add $50 to that simply because it's an Apple product, but at $300 or above it's an immediate fail IMO.  

• Reply 38 of 78

what exactly does 'frustrating yeilds' mean? Sounds like some BS corporate speak for 'we ain't going to have enough'. If the yeilds get more frustrated, do they turn angry or do they sit their and cry?

• Reply 39 of 78

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Something to read in direct sunlight with one hand and running off a looooong charge.

Like a high tech Kindle on iOS.

So an existing iPad, then.

• Reply 40 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

For what it's worth the casing is very unique.  It's shaped like the plastic backs of the 3G iPhone with "hidden" curves, it also has large "lips" inside that require extensive undercutting.  It's not a shape that is typically produced by the C&C process they use for their other aluminium products.  It's a shape that typically would be moulded as the 3G backs were.  

This is why I originally thought that the backs would be plastic.  This shape would require significant extra work to produce in aluminium, more steps in the manufacturing process, more human handling etc. 

Really, really, really, wish they had gone with plastic.  Especially if this puppy turns out to be over the $250 mark or if it turns out to be a heavy brick like the iPad 3, they may regret the aluminium decision.  

I'm thinking the back is extruded from a sheet of aluminum. It will be very light. The inside reinforcement truss work might actually be plastic and glued in place. In either case aluminum or plastic the case is not contributing much to the overall weight. In the example of the iPad 3, it is the laminated glass screen and the battery that are the heavy components.