Leaked iMac parts suggest Apple set to release new model with thinner design

12346

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 139


    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

    If you want to get back at him anyway, just do it like that:


    "Tallest Skil, how do you like iPhone 5?"



     


    Ooh, do this. That'll get back at me. image






    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

    Are you joking, or are you seriously doing drugs?



     


    You'd have to be completely out of the loop to think that laptops will have any real presence in the future. And as multitouch desktop interfaces go, 27" isn't as big as you'd want. Oh, sure, I can see some people wanting a 21.5", and so that would still be around for a while, but 27" isn't the high end of that, no sir. 






    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

    No, that was a critic.



     


    All right; I don't know what it means. "You just got in you, don't you?" doesn't sound like any grammar or colloquialism I've ever heard.

  • Reply 102 of 139
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Exactly! This probably will have as much stock to it as the "teardrop iPhone". And it might even be a complete mistranslation. 

    No, 'teardrop iPhone' was exactly correct. Except that the teardrops were coming from the competition.
    You'd have to be completely out of the loop to think that laptops will have any real presence in the future. And as multitouch desktop interfaces go, 27" isn't as big as you'd want. Oh, sure, I can see some people wanting a 21.5", and so that would still be around for a while, but 27" isn't the high end of that, no sir. 

    Really? What evidence do you have to support that?

    First, laptops are the only segment of the market that's still growing. A lot of people (myself included) no longer use desktop computers - laptops are now powerful enough that I can do everything I need without being tied to a desk.

    Second, the idea that no one will ever buy a monitor/computer less than 27" is ridiculous. Lots of people find even the 27" iMac to be too large. Even the 30" cinema display was dropped in favor of a 27". I think we're at (or very close to) the maximum reasonable size for a desktop - and most people will be happy with smaller ones.

    But if you have any evidence AT ALL to back up your claims, feel free to provide it.
  • Reply 103 of 139
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,834moderator
    I'm still trying to work on a stand design that affords this capability with one hand, like all the other iMac designs. Not going well. :lol:

    Keeping all the components behind the display makes it harder because you have to allow for the cables. They might be able to do it like this:

    1000

    The cylinder at the hinge can essentially act like a travel wheel i.e rotates the opposite way you expect - clockwise as it collapses. This means the foot and wheel act as the supports. The part in the middle is hidden inside the foot and extends out as you pivot the display. Just pivoting the display would raise/lower it and because it's on a roller, without much effort - it would lock until the display was pivoted. It keeps the center of gravity in roughly the same place and it can limit the maximum drop to protect connected cables. The hinge/wheel is of course taking a lot of weight and you know kids will lean on it but that's for Apple to figure out.

    Having a rounded edge will make it easier to rest on the table without damaging either.
  • Reply 104 of 139


    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

    No, 'teardrop iPhone' was exactly correct. Except that the teardrops were coming from the competition.




    Dang, I was gonna make that… 






    First, laptops are the only segment of the market that's still growing. A lot of people (myself included) no longer use desktop computers - laptops are now powerful enough that I can do everything I need without being tied to a desk.



     


    Stet. But that's only when you call the "market" by the name "everything we used to call a computer, ignoring tablets". 






    Second, the idea that no one will ever buy a monitor/computer less than 27" is ridiculous.



     


    Good thing I didn't say that.






    I think we're at (or very close to) the maximum reasonable size for a desktop…



     


    … with a mouse. I'll agree.





    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

    Keeping all the components behind the display makes it harder because you have to allow for the cables. They might be able to do it like this:



     


    Ah, indeed! And Apple even has a patent on this. But how do you keep the hinge stable when it's up? 

  • Reply 105 of 139
    ecsecs Posts: 307member


    Rumors and leaked images are driving Apple into an scenario where they cannot surprise the audience any longer. We knew how the iPhone5 was before it was released. Chances are that we already know everything about the "iPad mini" (maybe even its name!!!). And it seems the same might happen with new iMacs.


     


    Apple needs to push things a bit. If the new iMac lacks retina, then at least give it 8 cores, or other powerful stuff that can surprise the audience in some way.

  • Reply 106 of 139


    Originally Posted by ecs View Post


    Apple needs to push things a bit. If the new iMac lacks retina, then at least give it 8 cores, or other powerful stuff that can surprise the audience in some way.



     


    Not about the specs.


     


    And you're honestly saying you weren't surprised at all by any aspect whatsoever of anything at the last keynote?

  • Reply 107 of 139

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post


    ..Apple has removed the optical drives from most of their products...


     



    They pulled it from 1 MacBook Pro model, the MacBook Air models, and the Mac Mini. That's hardly "most." But your point is taken, it's clear that Apple is pushing the optical drive-less future just as they did when they removed the floppy drive from the original iMac.

  • Reply 108 of 139
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post


    Your computer is less than 3 years old, do you really need a new one? I understand sometimes the envy to buy something new touches us all, but it's also good to try to distance ourselves from this over-consumerist world. I'm wondering myself if I should wait since my iMac works still very well.



     


    3 years isn't old for a house or a car, but in tech terms it can be an eternity.


     


    I don't have any problems with my iMac, granted.  But there's no reason I can't sell it and move up to a newer, faster, sexier model.  I mean, why not?

  • Reply 109 of 139


    Going ever thinner and lighter, restricting heat pumping capability, removing components, moving away from large scale local storage, sealing the box... Steve Jobs always believed the personal computer should be an appliance. When was the last time you modified your microwave oven?


     


    I happen not to agree with that philosophy, but last time I checked I wasn't running a major corporation with a fruit inspired logo.


     


    I'm surprised that the iMac hasn't been updated in 17 months, but agree with many that the existing model meets the needs of almost every possible customer. While it's true that the hardware is behind the gamer PC market, the iMac is not a gaming machine and none of those people buy Macs. I'm much more surprised that their entire desktop line is still able to boot Snow Leopard. I thought that fact alone would have prompted an update this past spring/summer.


     


    Sealing the box is troubling because all drives fail eventually. Making it difficult for technicians to get into the box is just bad for everyone, even Apple.


     


    The question of third party RAM isn't black and white. If Apple locks out RAM upgrades they could theoretically lower the entry level price to reflect the reduced complexity, reduced repair costs and extra profit from models with more RAM. In practice I believe none of those savings are passed along to the consumer. Apple exists to make maximum profits and their Mac customers are the affluent minority. Either pay the asking price or go elsewhere.

  • Reply 110 of 139
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post






    I'm not sure what choice they have. The IveyBridge Xeon clips don't support USB3 or Thunderbold.  This is why I'm confused why anyone was surprised there wasn't a MacPro update this year.  If they'd updated and not had USB3 or TB, I think they would have been crucified even more than they were.




    This goes back to the solution in search of a problem thing. The biggest gain you see there is the ability to share peripheral devices between a macbook pro and mac pro. There are probably people who would benefit from this, and others who believe they might benefit even though they'd never actually use that capability after purchasing the machine. Keep in mind Ivy Bridge variants appropriate to the mac pro aren't due out until 2013 anyway. You're suggesting that they don't do any updates until 2014. The ivy bridge Xeons that are currently on the market are a totally different type. If Apple wanted to go that route, they may as well do a headless imac rather than a quasi workstation (referring to the lack of full workstation gpu driver support).


     


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post


     


    But they don't tend to, do they?  They waited on the laptop chipsets until USB3 was supported natively to include them.


     


    Plus, and we can only guess on timing on this, I think next year will see Apple add Retina support to the rest of the line.  The 13" MBP will come this year, with the MBAir first half as they can commoditize the cost of the screens, and improve battery and CPUs to support them.  Then to MacMinis, iMacs, and MacPros in the second half of the year, as the technology to push out 27" ACDs becomes available.


     


    That's my guess anyway.  And if that make sense to you, then the release of HassleBridge Xeon processors and availability of Retina ACD make the second half of the year a better bet.  Plus, I think there's supposed to be a update to Thunderbolt next year as well.



     


    Thunderbolt may not be native at all in Haswell Xeon chips. I haven't seen any indication of this. With the "mainstream" sockets they're basically run over integrated graphics as far as I can tell. These simply aren't present in Xeons. In terms of waiting, they weren't inherently included with either Sandy or Ivy. Neither has native integration of thunderbolt. There was a rumor that it would be included in Ivy, but intel corrected that.

  • Reply 111 of 139
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,834moderator
    Ah, indeed! And Apple even has a patent on this. But how do you keep the hinge stable when it's up?

    It would have to have a locking mechanism engaged/disengaged baed on the display position. Highly dampened movement on the wheel and clicks to lock when upright or low down perhaps with a release button on the side.

    The more mechanical it gets, the more chance there is of it going wrong though.

    A more reliable method might be the following:

    1000

    If it's bottom-heavy, the stand can connect at a lower point and it could just slide up the back. That's a much stronger setup no matter what position it's in. A kid could lean on that while it's flat all they wanted.

    Again, the height could be directly linked to the pivot on a ratchet. Just push the top of the screen back and it can slide down the stand. Pushing it back up would be harder - they'd have to make something that would slide up by just pushing gently at the base. Cables will still be a problem too.

    We might not see a touch iMac until the top part can be light enough to be moved around much more easily. Moving to 2.5" drives and laminating the glass should help reduce the weight a fair bit but probably not enough. OS X obviously has to be made to work properly with touch or switched to iOS so this might be on the shelf for a few years down the line.
  • Reply 112 of 139
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post



    We might not see a touch iMac until the top part can be light enough to be moved around much more easily. Moving to 2.5" drives and laminating the glass should help reduce the weight a fair bit but probably not enough. OS X obviously has to be made to work properly with touch or switched to iOS so this might be on the shelf for a few years down the line.


     


    Or they move the guts of the machine into the base like the iMac lamp or the more recent Vizio AIO. 


     


    Having had a Cintiq it's always somewhat awkward to transition upright to flat though.

  • Reply 113 of 139


    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

    It would have to have a locking mechanism engaged/disengaged baed on the display position. Highly dampened movement on the wheel and clicks to lock when upright or low down perhaps with a release button on the side.

    The more mechanical it gets, the more chance there is of it going wrong though.

    A more reliable method might be the following:



    If it's bottom-heavy, the stand can connect at a lower point and it could just slide up the back. That's a much stronger setup no matter what position it's in. A kid could lean on that while it's flat all they wanted.


     


    NOW we're talking. That's just what I was thinking, but you have the technical knowledge to make me think it's actually possible. 


     


    This is screwin' with my excitement levels here. Years away and I'm already psyched for it. image

  • Reply 114 of 139
    Only reason they are releasing on Oct. 23 is because HP is releasing it desktops on that same day. Apple is far behind in this market, they have allowed too much time to lapse to hold their share on the 21- and 27-inch desktops. Holiday is not the market for desktops regardless. Back-to-school and Q4 buying are their two strongest segments both of have passed.
  • Reply 115 of 139
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Only reason they are releasing on Oct. 23 is because HP is releasing it desktops on that same day. Apple is far behind in this market, they have allowed too much time to lapse to hold their share on the 21- and 27-inch desktops. Holiday is not the market for desktops regardless. Back-to-school and Q4 buying are their two strongest segments both of have passed.

    Good one! Wait... you're serious?!
  • Reply 116 of 139
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post



    The iMac is too this as it is. I would rather see it a little thicker and loose the dreaded iMac chin. Much like the new Apple Thunderbolt Displays. In addition, a larger volume could possibly help with heat dissipation.


    I've said it many times over the years and I'll say it again: I love the chin, and I hope it never goes away.

  • Reply 117 of 139


    Originally Posted by bostonapple View Post

    Only reason they are releasing on Oct. 23 is because HP is releasing it desktops on that same day. Apple is far behind in this market…


     


    Apple is the only company in the entire industry posting increasing desktop sales. Heck, posting increasing computer sales at all (right?). 


     


    Try again. Or fly away home. 

  • Reply 118 of 139
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Water droplets are flat on the bottom due to air pressure. The "water droplet" symbol is almost as accurate as the "heart" symbol.
    The heart symbol was modeled after the shape of a woman's ass. So you know what was on that artist mind.
    But what can they do? Slightly faster RAM (still laptop RAM), same hard drive (spinning disc), and a modern GPU. Is that what you mean?

    I mean a thoroughly modern machine. For example:
    1. Support USB 3 - this is huge and I'm not sure why most people aren't up in arms over the lack of this port in the desktops.
    2. Switch over to Solid Sate storage over PCI Express. This would set up Apples platforms for several more years of storage developments.
    3. Offer up state of the art GPUs and significant VRAM configuration.
    4. Concentrate on serviceability. Apple obviously has the engineering skill as demonstrated by the laptops so apply that skill to the desktops. To put it bluntly the effort required replace a storage device or power supply is just unacceptable.
    5. Speaking of RAM they could switch to Intel 3D RAM initiative though it is probably early for that. Given that that won't happen support lots of RAM.
    6. Add an expansion slot. Yeah I know it has never had one. It doesn't have to be a standard slot but supporting maybe twenty watt cards ought to do it. I'd love to see Apple offer a TV Tuner / Cable interface card for the iMac. However the "slot" should be generally useful.
    7. A retina display. Maybe a step to far but even a more modest improvement would be a great nice.
    8. dual Thunderbolt ports.


    This is just a small list. Apple could do much to make the iMac more appeal-able to a wider array of users.
  • Reply 119 of 139


    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    1. Support USB 3 - this is huge and I'm not sure why most people aren't up in arms over the lack of this port in the desktops.


    2. Switch over to Solid Sate storage over PCI Express. This would set up Apples platforms for several more years of storage developments.


    3. Offer up state of the art GPUs and significant VRAM configuration.


    4. Concentrate on serviceability. Apple obviously has the engineering skill as demonstrated by the laptops so apply that skill to the desktops. To put it bluntly the effort required replace a storage device or power supply is just unacceptable.


    5. Speaking of RAM they could switch to Intel 3D RAM initiative though it is probably early for that. Given that that won't happen support lots of RAM.


    6. Add an expansion slot. Yeah I know it has never had one. It doesn't have to be a standard slot but supporting maybe twenty watt cards ought to do it. I'd love to see Apple offer a TV Tuner / Cable interface card for the iMac. However the "slot" should be generally useful.


    7. A retina display. Maybe a step to far but even a more modest improvement would be a great nice.


    8. dual Thunderbolt ports.



     


    I can see them eventually doing everything here except 6 (SSD over PCIe is gonna be a tough sell).


     


    8 negates the need for 6.

  • Reply 120 of 139
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post



    1. Support USB 3 - this is huge and I'm not sure why most people aren't up in arms over the lack of this port in the desktops.


    2. Switch over to Solid Sate storage over PCI Express. This would set up Apples platforms for several more years of storage developments.


    3. Offer up state of the art GPUs and significant VRAM configuration.


    4. Concentrate on serviceability. Apple obviously has the engineering skill as demonstrated by the laptops so apply that skill to the desktops. To put it bluntly the effort required replace a storage device or power supply is just unacceptable.


    5. Speaking of RAM they could switch to Intel 3D RAM initiative though it is probably early for that. Given that that won't happen support lots of RAM.


    6. Add an expansion slot. Yeah I know it has never had one. It doesn't have to be a standard slot but supporting maybe twenty watt cards ought to do it. I'd love to see Apple offer a TV Tuner / Cable interface card for the iMac. However the "slot" should be generally useful.


    7. A retina display. Maybe a step to far but even a more modest improvement would be a great nice.


    8. dual Thunderbolt ports.

    This is just a small list. Apple could do much to make the iMac more appeal-able to a wider array of users.


     


    1. USB 3 is big but expected in the current iMac and mini.


    2. Meh...SATA SSDs are finally a reasonable price.  If the industry standardized on the form factor and connector then that would be fine.  But otherwise I prefer to have the option of cheaper SSDs over size.


     


    The rest are not likely to happen except for the dual TB ports on the highest end iMac and maybe retina.  For one thing TB removes much of the need for an expansion slot in anything but the Mac Pro.


     


    As for Touch I see as unlikely having used several.  It appears that Apple strategy is the trackpad for gestures.  Plus I don't see them adding a digitizer.


     


    IF OSX was getting touch you'd see it first in the MBA.

Sign In or Register to comment.