Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    I think the commercial is arresting. But I don't think MS has a cool image, and I think they're too late to the dance.
  • Reply 22 of 145
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

It has a keyboard cum cover?!

I ain't touching it without latex gloves.

Laughed at the exact same thing when I read it in the article.

And I know its fun to make fun of MS- but that keyboard cover is really cool.  I look forward to trying one- great concept, but I'll expect poor execution.  Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised.

• Reply 23 of 145
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I gotta tell you, I just downloaded the latest MSN app update and they've adopted the whole Windows 8 colored blocks scheme ... It's an absolute bloody nightmare. Seriously it's distracting to the point where I don't know what I'm reading, or where to look. Apple has made some UI changes that I haven't appreciated, but I gotta hand it to Em, they KNOW how to design a useable UI.

Who wants to take bets MS will change this whole colored blocks thing within a year of launch? And it will look like OS X?
  • Reply 24 of 145
    jimrjimr Posts: 2member

In 1980, Microsoft made a card that plugged into an Apple II computer. The card was called the Softcard and contained a Z80 processor chip which allowed the Apple II to run the CP/M operating system. I'm pretty sure that was Microsoft's first hardware venture. This was long before the IBM PC and  MS DOS and Microsoft's main product was Microsoft Basic that ran on 8080 and Z80 systems. (they also sold a floating point version of Basic which ran on the Apple II with it's 6502 chip. It could be used in place of the Integer Basic written by Steve Wozniak.)

• Reply 25 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The problem I see with Windows 8 is so many controls are hidden unless you have the cursor in the right place, this gets old quickly. Also, it's designed to be a tablet & touch-centric OS first that has such a poorly designed fallback mode for mouse and keyboard based computers, I don't know why they bothered to offer a desktop version of the OS. The new UI seriously gimps any large screened computer to a setup that's appropriate for a 10" screen at most.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

It has a keyboard cum cover?!

I ain't touching it without latex gloves.

Please somebody tell me what the hell is a keyboard-cum-cover? I Googled it but still no luck. How someone can propose this as reasonable marketing strategy or brand name choice is beyond idiotic. Ok, I'm imagining a marketing meeting (I've been in plenty) and someones says  "I've got it!" 'Cum Cover' that's the ticket! Didn't any eyes roll back into their heads?

• Reply 27 of 145
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If the Surface becomes a success and gains a respectable hold on the tablet market in a way WinPh has yet to capture then you'll have a guaranteed mea culpa from me. Outside of that I'd say it's debatable. I think you make a solid counter-argument but I still think MS should have come out with solid "this is how you use this device" ads, not this empty razzmatazz*.

* That word doesn't get used enough.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I am betting on the Surface or this campaign succeeding.  MS has a huge image problem and the general public, as far as I can tell, hasn't been saying "I wonder what cool new stuff MS is working on?" for quite some time now!  (The Zune and Windows Phone campaigns have shown that they can throw a lot of money into pushing something that isn't completely awful and still not sell any...)

However, I don't hate this first volley.  They have to catch some attention first (empty razzmatazz works well for that if it is fun enough) before they can make the solid stick.   If they are going to drop a $billion on this, a few million to get noticed in a light, positive, non-Windows Vista sorta way is no deal-breaker for me...

• Reply 28 of 145
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The problem I see with Windows 8 is so many controls are hidden unless you have the cursor in the right place, this gets old quickly. Also, it's designed to be a tablet & touch-centric OS first that has such a poorly designed fallback mode for mouse and keyboard based computers, I don't know why they bothered to offer a desktop version of the OS. The new UI seriously gimps any large screened computer to a setup that's appropriate for a 10" screen at most.

Supporting two operating systems such as OS X and iOS must be a tricky business but will permit at least, convergence of the two technologies to be driven by advancing hardware and knowledge, rather than expediency.

• Reply 29 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Please somebody tell me what the hell is a keyboard-cum-cover? I Googled it but still no luck. How someone can propose this as reasonable marketing strategy or brand name choice is beyond idiotic. Ok, I'm imagining a marketing meeting (I've been in plenty) and someones says  "I've got it!" 'Cum Cover' that's the ticket! Didn't any eyes roll back into their heads?

LOL!  people are having fun with the different definitions of "cum" here.  Ostensibly, the author was using the word, not as you learned in middle school but to mean "together with."

From TheFreeDictionary.com:

Together with; plus. Often used in combination: our attic-cum-studio.

• Reply 30 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

They have to catch some attention first (empty razzmatazz works well for that if it is fun enough) before they can make the solid stick.  

Yeah kind of like those fun Seinfeld/Gates sleep over excursions were effective. Or the PC hunter episodes. Just another ill conceived sequel to a string of clueless marketing blitzes. 

• Reply 31 of 145
    remereme Posts: 74member

I liked the ad, but from everything I've seen, Win8's UI is just not doing it for me it's just sooo fugly, just another step down for MS.  They really have no clue, and I'm a happy PC user.  Win7 was fast and stable but they stripped out some seriously good desktop features (like each folder remembering it settings), just ridiculous and frustrating things that keep me on Vista for my main workstation.  But I built a Win7 Media center that boots in 10 sec, hums away in a closet with a 5T Raid recording 8 shows simultaneously with a Commercial skipping add-on that's such a killer feature, streaming to X-Box Clients in the other rooms in our house (and via Remote Potato on the iPad or iPhone).  So MS makes some amazing stuff, they just have no taste as has been said before.  They should just do what they do best, get a real call center that can really help users, and be happy owning the market they already have.  Instead they just piss away money to try to become something they will never be...

• Reply 32 of 145

Summa cum laude I get, not this Freudian slip. It is not just this author it is all over the net going back to July. They fixed the misnomer 'Metro' They should have fixed this too.

• Reply 33 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah kind of like those fun Seinfeld/Gates sleep over excursions were effective. Or the PC hunter episodes. Just another ill conceived sequel to a string of clueless marketing blitzes. 

Well, I did say "if it is fun enough."  The Seinfeld/Gates thing was excruciating and the PC hunters series was a little desperate, so neither of those would qualify as positive razzmatazz.

Anyway, in no way did I set out this evening to defend MS!  I feel like I need to take a long shower with some bleach...  I'll drop it now.

• Reply 34 of 145
    mstone wrote: »

And despite all those clueless ads.... Microsoft still has 90% of the market.

353 million PCs were sold last year... all toting a Microsoft OS.

Yes... PC sales are declining... it's being reported that only 348 million PCs will be sold this year.

Microsoft is doomed because of bad advertising... right? 8-)
  • Reply 35 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Microsoft is doomed because of bad advertising... right? image

Even Apple has made a few cringe-worthy ads and we didn't give them a break either.

• Reply 36 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yes... PC sales are declining... it's being reported that only 348 million PCs will be sold this year.

Microsoft is doomed because of bad advertising... right? image

Well, I think MS is selling all those PCs because of momentum resulting from a long term near monopoly on business computer usage, not because of their advertising.

• Reply 37 of 145
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

It's a memorable ad, and it serves to demonstrate the two key physical differentiating factors from the iPad just fine.

What two factors? The iPad already has magnetic covers that click, and there are also keyboard covers available from third parties.

• Reply 38 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Microsoft is doomed because of bad advertising... right? 8-)

"The vis insita, or innate force of matter, is a power of resisting by which every body, as much as in it lies, endeavours to preserve its present state, whether it be of rest or of moving uniformly forward in a straight line."
  • Reply 39 of 145

I guess it gets the idea across, but for the consumer who isn't really paying attention it will just look like an iPad ad thanks to the Surface's inherent lack of visual distinctiveness.

• Reply 40 of 145
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The ad is meant to show that MS has entered the tablet market and to a certain extent it succeeds. But I found the ad to be unfocused and wonder if it will serve to confuse rather than clarify for you average punter. I wonder if people will think 'its kinda like an iPad, but with a keyboard', and not really care. I think a keyboard can be handy on a tablet but I wonder if it is counter productive as a selling point. If the keyboard is such a big deal why not get a laptop?