Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign

Comments

• Reply 61 of 145
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I thought the ad was good in the same way that Roseanne Barr's version of the National Anthem was good. That is, it almost made my ears bleed, but as a musical performance, it must be recognized that it communicated her identity perfectly. This ad communicates the personality of Microsoft perfectly. Not everyone can be Placido Domingo.
  • Reply 62 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Except, one of the classic ads of all time was a blank billboard that said:
    Coming Soon.

I don't get the reference and Google Images was no help.
  • Reply 63 of 145

You know it's bad when the only 2 things they can market in this ad are the keyboard and the kickstand.

Off to a bad start already. This device is already dead in the water.

• Reply 64 of 145
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

If priced right and the keyboard functioned as intended, Surface will take over xmas shopping season. 

• Reply 65 of 145

• Reply 66 of 145
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

If priced right and the keyboard functioned as intended, Surface will take over xmas shopping season. 

Haha, people will be buying up iPads and iPad Minis.

You should put your money where your mouth is, and buy some shares of MSFT. I put my money where my mouth is.

• Reply 67 of 145
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

It's quite alright, but why they pitch it to teenagers?

• Reply 68 of 145
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Dumbest ad ever. I'm sure Jony Ive would be a laugh out of the total focus on the magnetic cover. Someone at the Verge actually posted this:

"The value proposition of the surface is basically just the kickstand and keyboard covers." looooooool
  • Reply 69 of 145

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sure Jony Ive would be a laugh out of the total focus on the magnetic cover.

Er… 

• Reply 70 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Underage boarding school girls break dancing (WTF?)

I read through your comment and also thought WTF.

Underage?  underage for what?  being in school?  being in an advert? breakdancing? 

• Reply 71 of 145
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I think that is his point.
  • Reply 72 of 145
    Was that a Microsoft commercial? Anyone know the Ad Agency that did this for Microsoft?
  • Reply 73 of 145
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think that is his point.
    Yes, basically been there, done that. And before the MS fanboys swoop in to tell me how the touch cover is so much more innovative because it's also a keyboard...how come Microsoft has let next to no one outside of Microsoft try out the keyboard? How come this ad only focuses on the magnetic attachment and not actually using it for typing.

Maybe the touch cover is innovative if you want to be wedded to a keyboard and mouse/trackpad with your tablet, but I sure as heck don't.

Oh and I keep hearing about how great the design of this thing is. Sorry but it looks fugly to me. The kickstand is not appealing at all. And it sure looks like the keyboard will only work well on a flat surface. So using it on your lap will probably be a pain.
  • Reply 74 of 145
    I guess it gets the idea across, but for the consumer who isn't really paying attention it will just look like an iPad ad thanks to the Surface's inherent lack of visual distinctiveness.

Yes! As I posted, I did like the ad -- it was an attention getter!

But now they must follow on with some additional ads that flesh out the bones -- to tell us how this is different from an iPad in why it is better.
  • Reply 75 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

Was that a Microsoft commercial? Anyone know the Ad Agency that did this for Microsoft?

It appears to have been directed by the guy behind the new GI Joe and some dance movie.

• Reply 76 of 145
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Maybe the touch cover is innovative if you want to be wedded to a keyboard and mouse/trackpad with your tablet, but I sure as heck don't..

I wouldn't think you'd be forced to use the keyboard- it's an either/or I would think.

I'm curious- is this keyboard Bluetooth? Likely not, right? So it connects through the magnets?
  • Reply 77 of 145
    Adv, does not make clear how that product can help you, so one will ask, what is it.

Exactly. Focus on usable features of the main device. Or do something clever like Apple's iPhone 3G ad.

But focusing on the click on keyboard cover and the kickstand. If those are THE features you are promoting that doesn't speak highly of the device
  • Reply 78 of 145
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I was surprised and thought the ad was great. The only problem is that everyone in the ad is excited about technology that Apple invented (magnetic tablet cover).
  • Reply 79 of 145

Apple never advertised the iPad by running ads about the Smart Cover
  • Reply 80 of 145
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    I admit I am a little torn. First, the early look at metro made it sound like something that was worthy to compete with iOS on the phone and tablet front. But as more and more info comes out it sounds more and more like the usual halfassed MS we all know and love. (Before anyone brings up android, I said worthy to compete. Android only competes because people are either too cheap, or just loath Apple. That OS is the worst dreck ever served up on hardware, and I remember windows 98SE.)

Then in typical MS fashion, they announce that they will screw over all their long time hardware partners one last time, and build their own... whatever this thing is. Has to be a great experience being a Microsoft partner. Plays for sure? I bet it does! Bundle the browser you say? Naturally! Pay for a windows license for every CPU sold even if the customer wants another OS? Sure thing boss! Anything to take over the world! ....wait you say the hardware people aren't coming along for the ride? No problem, lemme lay on this grenade for you!

Now the ad. Started ok, though for a product most people know nothing about it sure doesn't show anything to tell the story. My daughter watched it and asked when Microsoft started making a keyboard for the iPad....

....then the damn creepy school girls appeared, and we panicked and closed the video. What kind of fresh new hell they exposed innocent viewers to after that, we didn't stay to find out!

Still, I keep hoping their will be a worthy competitor. looks like it will have to be amazon.