Users experiencing graphical glitch with iPhone 5 virtual keyboard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48

mine is fine

It will likely get fixed in the next iOS release.

• Reply 22 of 48

You should have seen the notebook problems Apple had while Jobs was *alive*.

This . . . this is nothing by comparison. 

But Apple's current "problems" . . . the competition would kill to have them. 

• Reply 23 of 48

It's not just iPhone5. Ever since the iOS6 update I've had this weird keyboard problem happen randomly on my 4S. Suddenly it will flicker (kind of like the video) but then some random key will "pop-up" (like when you press it) even though it wasn't pressed and it will repeatedly pop-up for a second as if I had rapidly tapped it 5 times in a row. It's typically a key I haven't even touched. Interestingly, the OS does not behave as if the key has been tapped. For instance I type "Mary had a little lamb" and somewhere in the middle of that the "W" key freaks out, pops-up-n-down 5 times, but no "W" is inserted into the input. It's kind of weird. Anyone else experience this?

• Reply 24 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I wouldn't call that an "issue". It's bug, nothing very important...

"Not  important? Not important! This widespread design flaw that Apple refuses to acknowledge is ruining people's lives for God's sake! Apple should immediately issue a total recall of all iPhone 5s. This is unacceptable! Steve would never have let this happen! Apple needs to get its act together and quick. Quality control has taken a back seat to profit. Apple is going downhill fast. I'm actually considering selling my iPhone 5 and buying a Samsung Galaxy SIII because of this debacle."

The above is a summary of the Apple discussions forums on this glitch. No need to actually visit the sight. We all know how this goes now.

• Reply 25 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Because the issue is restricted to such specific circumstances, it's likely that the glitch is a software error, rather than a problem with the 4-inch Retina display on the iPhone 5.

Agree.  Most likely some kind of problem in the alert view framework when the alert contains a text field.

Tapping the text field automatically brings up the keyboard, which could cause some kind of spurious interaction.

And, because it happens under such a specific set of circumstances, it should be easy to debug.

• Reply 26 of 48
    I took my iPhone 5 into the local apple store and showed them the video of my phone with my apple id displayed and it was in the A-Z keyboard area. The tech took the phone for a "behavior" scan, came back and asked if this was a clean install. It was not, I've done a restore for all of my previous iPhones, he said that significant changes to iOS6 makes a restore from a previous install the reason for the keyboard issue.

My question is, have any one you with fresh installs, no restore, seen any of these keyboard issues? I personally don't feel losing all my history, iMessage history, call logs, etc, is worth the keyboard glitch being fixed. I hardly ever see it.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    nicksageek wrote: »
    I took my iPhone 5 into the local apple store and showed them the video of my phone with my apple id displayed and it was in the A-Z keyboard area. The tech took the phone for a "behavior" scan, came back and asked if this was a clean install. It was not, I've done a restore for all of my previous iPhones, he said that significant changes to iOS6 makes a restore from a previous install the reason for the keyboard issue.
    My question is, have any one you with fresh installs, no restore, seen any of these keyboard issues? I personally don't feel losing all my history, iMessage history, call logs, etc, is worth the keyboard glitch being fixed. I hardly ever see it.

Restored from my iPhone 4 backup...
  • Reply 28 of 48

You're looking at it wrong.

• Reply 29 of 48

Ya know, a glitch like this in Android would certainly get fixed with a software update.....

in about 9 months.

• Reply 30 of 48

Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

Ya know, a glitch like this in Android would certainly get fixed with a software update….. in about 9 months.

On the next phone.

Not available for your model to upgrade.

• Reply 31 of 48

thanks, i really a good laugh and y'all's strong sense of humor did the trick and TY

• Reply 32 of 48
    creepcreep Posts: 80member
    undefined
  • Reply 33 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I’m the last person to pile on every tale of Apple doom, but this really crosses the line. I can no longer deny that Apple is making ever more colossal blunders, while their competition edges closer to the perfect experience. AppleIDBriefFlickerGate would never have happened at Motorola or Google or Microsoft—and certainly not under Steve Jobs. Someone needs to be fired, but I’malready gone: flicker-free Android UI, here I come!

If you were to ask me Android is hardly the perfect experience, and to call it flicker-free is funny.  I own an Android phone and I'll tell you what's worse than a flickering keyboard.  How about a keyboard that pops up when you tap on a username and password section of a page on the Chrome web browser only to have the chrome webpage sit on top of the keyboard and all that's visible is a sliver of the keyboard and there is no way to fix until a reboot.  It doesn't happen all the time but does happen sometimes. 

Point is no experience is perfect, there will always be bugs with new software, the only issues are how long it takes to get them fixed.  No doubt Apple is already far into a software update that will resolve most of these issues. 

Also I may be wrong but I have a feeling you already own a Android device and are trying to recruit

• Reply 34 of 48

Saw this the day I got the iPhone 5... thought, at first it was a hardware/video issue but noticed it consistently happened in the App Store when I needed to type my password. Realized then it was a software issue. I'm sure it will be fixed soon. No worries.

• Reply 35 of 48

It does not only occur on the iPhone 5.

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS6.0 and I've experienced that glitch. Coincidentally, I noticed it for the first time earlier this week. I have not been able to replicate it yet but I attributed it to the fact that I have not restarted my phone yet, after crossing several time zones back and forth over the span of a few days.

• Reply 36 of 48
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I used to get this during the beta on my iPhone 4S but only for my apps when I compile them for testing. It also happened when I tried to input my iTunes password while testing In App Purchase. It stopped happening after the final release. So it is safe to say the issue is software related.

• Reply 37 of 48
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

It's not just iPhone5. Ever since the iOS6 update I've had this weird keyboard problem happen randomly on my 4S. Suddenly it will flicker (kind of like the video) but then some random key will "pop-up" (like when you press it) even though it wasn't pressed and it will repeatedly pop-up for a second as if I had rapidly tapped it 5 times in a row. It's typically a key I haven't even touched. Interestingly, the OS does not behave as if the key has been tapped. For instance I type "Mary had a little lamb" and somewhere in the middle of that the "W" key freaks out, pops-up-n-down 5 times, but no "W" is inserted into the input. It's kind of weird. Anyone else experience this?

Yeah, happened the other day for the first time on my 64gb 4s. It was more entertaining than anything else, but if it happened much more than once a year (almost to the day) I might start to be irritated.

• Reply 38 of 48
    My first two phones had this issue. My 3rd phone will arrive in a few days.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    I've gotten this twice. Pretty sure it's a software issue since it only happens when the keyboard is brought up.
  • Reply 40 of 48

this is not an issue, it's a feature.