Images of alleged 'iPad 4' screen show larger hole for FaceTime camera

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

…not a tv…

I love you.

…something else.

Oh what fun it is to speculate… What relevant markets haven't they utterly destroyed yet?

• Reply 22 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Maybe Apple has a new device on the way (not a tv, something else). This may cause the iPad to move to fall and this new device will be in spring.

Maybe.

• Reply 23 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm I just read another rumor claiming a "trusted source" says that the ONLY thing Apple will be announcing tomorrow is a smaller iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm I just read another rumor claiming a "trusted source" says that the ONLY thing Apple will be announcing tomorrow is a smaller iPad.

where'd you read that?

• Reply 25 of 38
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

If Apple releases a new FULL SIZED iPad, I'm gonna be really pissed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic Caterina View Post

If Apple releases a new FULL SIZED iPad. I'm gonna be really happy!

With all the rumors of an iPad Mini, and now this and one other rumor/leak of purported iPad 4 parts/features, it's quite possible Apple may be moving the annual update schedule of the iPad "Line" to Fall instead of Spring.  This happened with the iPhone 4s if you recall.  It went from a June release to an October release.  This (i believe) might have been to move the premier product (iPad) to the Spring/summer slot.  It seems Apple likes to have product releases all year-round to keep the money flowing and not a roller-coaster.

iPad/Apple TV = Spring

Macs=Summer

iPhone/iPods=Fall

If they move all the iPad annual updates to Fall instead of Spring, that begs the question of, "what will the Spring product be?" and "what will this January's typical Keynote feature?  All that's left from the Above list is the Apple TV.  Could this January bring us a truly updated Apple TV?  Maybe not in the way everyone wants, but it's possible we see an update to something related to hardware and OS.

Although I have touted in the past that we may not see an iPad mini until Spring (since Apple proved the Rumor-Mills wrong with the Gen 1 iPad release), I'm slowly starting to think that with all these photo leaks might be true about a Fall iPad 4 and iPad Mini release.

See, the Rumor-Mills (i.e. the Marketing/Tech Analysts) seem consistently wrong about releases and numbers...whereas, the Rumored "leaked photos" seem consistently are right about the items being released.

Personally, I've been thinking about updating my iPad 2 to the next model, however the weight of the current iPad is so heavy that I decided to wait and see if they improve the mass in further updates before I upgrade.  I really have no real problem with my screen resolution and I'd rather have a lighter, bigger iPad than a heavier one.  The iPad Mini would be pointless for someone like me because I already have an iPhone and an iPad.  Since this Rumored iPad mini won't be small enough to comfortably put in my pants/coat pockets and will not have calling abilities...and the fact that if I'm going to need a bigger device, I will already be carrying a backpack or messenger bag, there's no need for smaller form factor.  I think the current iPad 9.7" is too small as it is, but I wouldn't want a heavier one just for a bigger screen.

• Reply 26 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

I still wouldn't underestimate or count out MS Surface.  There are a lot of people out there that want a mobile device that can run tablet apps and Office.  Just to give you an example of the the potential here's ground-up rewrite of Skype for Windows RT / Windows 8.  It's written as a Metro app;

http://bgr.com/gallery/skype-windows-8/

It looks very nice.  If developers can crank out Metro apps that are that level of quality then MS Surface can be successful.

Seeing that Skype is owned by microsoft this is not a great example of developer adoption. I am sure it will have its share of followers but I doubt that it will eat into apple or even androids market share - probably mostly their own laptop share.

• Reply 28 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by circus View Post

Seeing that Skype is owned by microsoft this is not a great example of developer adoption. I am sure it will have its share of followers but I doubt that it will eat into apple or even androids market share - probably mostly their own laptop share.

If you include all devices (smartphones, tablets, ultrabooks, notebooks, desktops, etc.), here is what Forrester predicts will be market share spread by 2016;

Apple - 25%

MS - 30%

Google - 40%

Other - 5%

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/supersite-blog-39/commentary/embracing-heterogeneous-future-144589

• Reply 29 of 38

It looks like Forrester doesn't have faith in the new iPad Mini for the future.

• Reply 30 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If iPad4 comes tomorrow (later today? ) it will be a sign that Apple is making good on its promise not to loose this market to anyone. IPad4 would set MS behind another couple of years and. Would make any significant market share gains on MS part very difficult.

Besides that I suspect Apple needs the so called spring slot for a new product.
  • Reply 31 of 38

Apple's iPad needs to crush the ZunePad RT before it gains even a tiny foothold of consumer interest.  It will be good payback for all of Apple's lean years when Microsoft hogged everything in sight.  What goes around, comes around.  Wall Street needs to be convinced that Apple will secure major tablet market share over both Windows and Android tablets.  Wall Street believes that Apple will lose both smartphone and tablet market share to Windows and Android and it really doesn't make much sense why WS is so sure it's going to turn out that way.  Apple needs to blast both Google and Microsoft back into the Stone Age.

• Reply 32 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I love you.

Oh what fun it is to speculate… What relevant markets haven't they utterly destroyed yet?

A completely revamped Mac Pro would be one item for spring. I'd like to see Apple get into domestic robots actually, though I think the technology has a ways to go. Apple execs to get far more serious with AppleTV, it could be a far more useful box with the right features. Though a big jump I'd like to see Apple get into instrumentation and give Agilent a run for the money, the idea being to add iOS to these sorts of products. ICar, the Apple electric car. ICamera, a pro level digital camera based on iOS. INuke an Apple designed personal nuclear fusion device for home power (maybe suitable for iCar too). Siri for the Mac. Mac AIRs with cellular data.

The list goes on! The problem for Apple is just focusing on something new that will generate realistic growth. There are lots of ideas that have potential though. I do think though that Apple is about to open that winter / early spring slot for something other than iPad.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Would be funny as hell if it's a 10.6" model
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Yay... I would be happy too even though I already have an iPad 3rd gen. (and iPhone 5). Maybe I could sell my iPad 1st and 3rd gen. and my iPhone 4S much quicker than expected to buy an iPad Mini and 4th gen. for size and spec respectively. Yayy...
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Will be interesting if they release an updated iPad this early.. More akin to what they do with their computers, quiet to mid sized periodic updates rather than strictly once a year. They've already questionably dropped the '3' from this gen's title, so maybe they do want to roll these out with more iterative updates not deserving such bold titles as ipad4 ipad5 etc. Personally I like the model numbers, its much stronger device branding in a market that advances so quickly.
  • Reply 36 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

It would be cool & surprising if Apple did release the iPad 4 tomorrow. If they did that, what the hell are they going to do for the spring keynote?

the same one with the new rogue GPU, right? that thing is a monster.

• Reply 37 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

If Apple releases a new FULL SIZED iPad, I'm gonna be really pissed.

Ah, you'll survive.

• Reply 38 of 38
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I'm glad to see others here would be chuffed about an upgraded iPad (3) being announced together with the iPad mini too.