Apple's speedy new Mac mini torn down and benchmarked

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    I don't get this product. If you want to connect it to an Apple monitor ($999 for the only one available - 27") and you buy a $799.00 model Mac Mini, wouldn't I just be better off to purchase a 21.5" iMac?

Will this computer run a standard VGA or DVI monitor that I might have kicking around?
  • Reply 42 of 43
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by grover432 View Post

I don't get this product. If you want to connect it to an Apple monitor ($999 for the only one available - 27") and you buy a $799.00 model Mac Mini, wouldn't I just be better off to purchase a 21.5" iMac?

Will this computer run a standard VGA or DVI monitor that I might have kicking around?

Maybe you already own a large monior and are switching from a PC.  I had a perfectly good 22" I bought 2 years before.  No need for a monitor.  I switched and bought the mid grade Mini last year.  The Mini comes w/a HDMI to DVI adapter in the box, other adapters can be bought as needed.  Besides monitors last longer.  There are times the iMac will make more sense, but if you like upgrading your CPU and GPU more frequently, you can pick up a Mini and a monitor and just spend for the new Mini every couple of years.  Yes, the iMac does have a better videocard, especially this year.  Sadly the HD 4000 is about 2/3 the benchmarks of the 6630M that was in the mid-grade model last year

• Reply 43 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    nht wrote: »
    $169 for a 256GB Samsung 830 x 2 isn't that bad.  That's almost half the price as Apple is charging.

Possibly because they didn't have any R&D costs
    One of these might make a nice headless render node for FCPro and Compressor.

That should work, though I think you'd need more than one. If you get a Mac Pro, one should suffice.
    Spoiler: