Gates' support of Ballmer led to Microsoft ouster of Sinofsky - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    If any of you watch the Men Who Made American I was thinking that Gates and Ballmer reminded me of Carnegie and Frick. Carnegie was the genius and caring business person and Frick who he hire was the Intimidating business bully, the only difference is Carnegie was smart enough to fire Frick before he lost all of Carnegie money.

I have never forgiven that Scot Carnegie for ultimately being responsible for changing the spelling of so many English words in America (luckily most of the words he wanted to change never did).

... (digitalclips now runs for cover ... ) ;)
  • Reply 62 of 93
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    You can't buy cachet. You can't buy taste.

But you sure as shit can zune your entire strategy. 

Yep, 'zune' should soon be a verb.
  • Reply 63 of 93

As per usual, MS stands back, takes a long hard look at things, and makes precisely the WRONG move!

They fired the wrong Steve, by miles.  Surely Gates knows better, and can see the nonstop trail of wreckage that Ballmer has left.

All in all this is great for Apple.  But it kinda takes the fun out of things when your competitors kill themselves.image

• Reply 64 of 93
    Balmer is an idiot and is 99% of the reason why MS stock hasn't grown at all in the last 10 years.
  • Reply 65 of 93

Sinofsky's legacy will one of skipping around on stage telling us how freakin' GREAT the Surface is.

• Reply 66 of 93

Say what you will about Sinofsky, he continued to tweet good things about Windows 8 until the news of departure was announced. Thereafter, he is still gracious.

Forstall too has not changed his tweeting style - nary a tweet still.

• Reply 67 of 93
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Balmer is an idiot and is 99% of the reason why MS stock hasn't grown at all in the last 10 years.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Yes, I am sure you could run MS much better. Why don't you coach the Lakers, while you are at it?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 68 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You can't buy cachet. You can't buy taste.

But you sure as shit can zune your entire strategy. 

Apparently, you can't buy a clue, either, since your post makes no sense whatever.

• Reply 69 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Say what you will about Sinofsky, he continued to tweet good things about Windows 8 until the news of departure was announced. Thereafter, he is still gracious.

What should he tweet? About his days in Belize, chilling with McAfee?

• Reply 70 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Maybe he learned of his departure the same time we all did?!

• Reply 71 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

As per usual, MS stands back, takes a long hard look at things, and makes precisely the WRONG move!

They fired the wrong Steve, by miles.  Surely Gates knows better, and can see the nonstop trail of wreckage that Ballmer has left.

All in all this is great for Apple.  But it kinda takes the fun out of things when your competitors kill themselves.image

Gates is the chairman of the board. If he wanted to fire Ballmer, he would have.

• Reply 72 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have never forgiven that Scot Carnegie for ultimately being responsible for changing the spelling of so many English words in America (luckily most of the words he wanted to change never did).

... (digitalclips now runs for cover ... ) image

This is among the most cryptic posts I have seen in my young life.

• Reply 73 of 93
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Cruel (though fair).

No, it's just plain childish. It's getting hard to take anything said here seriously. They should insist on people being over the age of 10 (years).

philip

• Reply 74 of 93
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    igriv wrote: »
    Yes, I am sure you could run MS much better. Why don't you coach the Lakers, while you are at it?

It doesn't matter, yours is a false argument. If someone has a job, we expect them to be good at their job or they should find some other job suited for their talents. Microsoft has been stagnant under a decade of Balmer's watch, and if that's not a reasonably objective reason to question his leadership, then what is?
  • Reply 75 of 93
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by markLouis View Post

[...] Internet Explorer integrates really well with OneNote.

Having no idea what that is, I looked at Microsoft's site. Lots of FLASHING BANNERS! and LOUD HEADERS! and LINKS TO HOW OTHERS ARE USING ONENOTE! but NOT ONE WORD that answers my question: "What the hell is it? What does it DO?!"

That's the third time in the last month or two I've looked for information about a new software product, only to find that the developer assumes I already know what it is, what it does and why I want it. That also makes it the third time in the last month or two I've left my credit card in my wallet.

• Reply 76 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It doesn't matter, yours is a false argument. If someone has a job, we expect them to be good at their job or they should find some other job suited for their talents. Microsoft has been stagnant under a decade of Balmer's watch, and if that's not a reasonably objective reason to question his leadership, then what is?

Apparently, the MSFT board does not have problems with Ballmer. Probably because it knows that his job is very difficult. Their software runs 90% of the world's computers still, so they really can't make incompatible changes (which Apple makes all the time, even with their "pro" applications), and their Office suite is likewise ubiquitous. You want to develop new stuff (to keep up with the changes in the computing world) without killing your cash cow. Who else succeeded in this? IBM, maybe. A lot of companies have fallen by the wayside (when was the last time you heard of Novell)? and the fact that Ballmer has kept MS making money and also kept it somewhat relevant (think XBox) is a testament to a considerable measure of skill. Idiotic statements from monday morning quarterbacks notwithstanding. Could someone else do a better job? Perhaps, but we will never know. Could someone do a worse job. Certainly.

• Reply 77 of 93
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    mstone wrote: »
    If you have a place Fry's Electronics near you, you can obtain a left over OEM version of 7 by buying something small like a case fan and then you qualify as a computer builder thus allowing the OEM version at a discount. I think there are some online retailers who also use that workaround, maybe New Egg or Tiger Direct.

That costs even more, but it would at least include extra media and mean less of a run-around.
  • Reply 78 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I agree with you. However MS isn't so competent as to actually kill themselves.

I wish Ballmer a long life at the helm of Microsoft. It will give me years of entertainment as the company staggers and gropes around in their confused attempt to regain relevance in this new century with last century's thinking.

• Reply 79 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

Apparently, the MSFT board does not have problems with Ballmer. Probably because it knows that his job is very difficult. Their software runs 90% of the world's computers still, so they really can't make incompatible changes (which Apple makes all the time, even with their "pro" applications), and their Office suite is likewise ubiquitous. You want to develop new stuff (to keep up with the changes in the computing world) without killing your cash cow. Who else succeeded in this? IBM, maybe. A lot of companies have fallen by the wayside (when was the last time you heard of Novell)? and the fact that Ballmer has kept MS making money and also kept it somewhat relevant (think XBox) is a testament to a considerable measure of skill. Idiotic statements from monday morning quarterbacks notwithstanding. Could someone else do a better job? Perhaps, but we will never know. Could someone do a worse job. Certainly.

You may have missed the memo that the MSFT board recently gave Ballmer a cut in wages due to his sub-par performance. It may have been that action that emboldened Sinofsky to make a play for the CEO chair.

In a few months we will see if the techicolor-tiled Windows 8 is successful or whether there will be a general back-peddling from this visual nightmare. Ballmer has some work to do to keep the mother-ship afloat and he's pumping out the bilge too slowly. It took Ballmer SIX years to come up with a smart phone that still doesn't seem to be a success. Less time to come up with tablet that's a poor tablet and a poor laptop that requires a desk top to prop it up in front of a terrible keyboard... that is admittedly running beta OS. 

• Reply 80 of 93
    igriv wrote: »

This is among the most cryptic posts I have seen in my young life.

Haha, don't worry, all you need is good education, being 'young' there is still time for you. ;)

It is a fascinating topic that seemingly isn't taught in the schools you have attended thus far or perhaps you missed class the day it was.

Meanwhile I'd suggest learning how to use Google. It's the obvious tool for a keen young mind lacking knowledge. Try typing a few of the key words ... Spelling / English / Carnegie (all in my post)

Here, I'll do it for you ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Spelling_Board

Enjoy learning :)